Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

What a day Saturday was! We had our club show and it was a great time! I bought these kits, keep in mind the most i spent on ANY of these kit was the Shelby Cobra and it was 25.00, everything else was under 20.00......this includes BOTH 1/12 Covettes!!!!

15614050088_4cad681a57_h.jpg20141115_223501 by jrherald420, on Flickr

15799461945_38a177978f_h.jpg20141115_224023 by jrherald420, on Flickr

And i entered 11 cars in the contest..............Our car entry numbers were down in every class except Pre-48 and Custom. I ended up taking home 7 first place, 2 second place and 1 3rd place Awards!!!!

15180023913_d473653172_h.jpg20141115_223722 by jrherald420, on Flickr

What a day Saturday was! We had our club show and it was a great time!

And i entered 11 cars in the contest..............Our car entry numbers were down in every class except Pre-48 and Custom. I ended up taking home 7 first place, 2 second place and 1 3rd place Awards!!!!

Just curious, is the show judged by the club or popular vote? Playing Devil's Advocate here, but possibly the reason the number of entries was down is due to club members entering, and winning, their own contest? I'm not saying that your models weren't deserving of winning, just that club members winning in their own contests will send conspiracy theorists in to a tizzy no matter how good the winning models are.

Just curious, is the show judged by the club or popular vote? Playing Devil's Advocate here, but possibly the reason the number of entries was down is due to club members entering, and winning, their own contest? I'm not saying that your models weren't deserving of winning, just that club members winning in their own contests will send conspiracy theorists in to a tizzy no matter how good the winning models are.

The voting was done by a group of 6 judges, only one was from our club (our club is 98% military). I was judging figures and SciFi. Several things were against us mainly the Atlanta show was just last week. I didn't see a single person from the Atlanta or Birmingham clubs, 1 person from Chattanooga was there.

I really hate the fact the awards went to one person but I had the only entries in the open wheel class, the only 2 entries in the closed wheel class, 1 of 3 in the curbside class, 1 of 3 in the Misc class. Last year no members won anything in the automotive class so "home cooking" can be thrown right out the window. I only entered so many to help boost the entries in the classes, in no way did i expect to win with anything except my 32 Ford.

I hate to say it but i think i will just quit entering shows, I spend months building my models, painting, buffing to a semi flawless shine, doing wiring and plumbing in the engine bays, as much photo etch as i can without making the car look cheapened by it, antennas and even valve stems and people get pissed when my cars beat theirs. Really kills building models for me......had i not been a member of the club people would still have complained. IDK but i wish i never would have even entered now..

Edited by jrherald420

The voting was done by a group of 6 judges, only one was from our club (our club is 98% military). I was judging figures and SciFi. Several things were against us mainly the Atlanta show was just last week. I didn't see a single person from the Atlanta or Birmingham clubs, 1 person from Chattanooga was there.

I really hate the fact the awards went to one person but I had the only entries in the open wheel class, the only 2 entries in the closed wheel class, 1 of 3 in the curbside class, 1 of 3 in the Misc class. Last year no members won anything in the automotive class so "home cooking" can be thrown right out the window. I only entered so many to help boost the entries in the classes, in no way did i expect to win with anything except my 32 Ford.

I hate to say it but i think i will just quit entering shows, I spend months building my models, painting, buffing to a semi flawless shine, doing wiring and plumbing in the engine bays, as much photo etch as i can without making the car look cheapened by it, antennas and even valve stems and people get pissed when my cars beat theirs. Really kills building models for me......had i not been a member of the club people would still have complained. IDK but i wish i never would have even entered now..

You know what? Who cares. If you like building models that are super detailed, do it. If you enter them into a contest and they win, so what. Don't worry about the haters. They would hate their own mothers if they didn't bring them down some soup into their basement command centers.

Hearing some more of the back story does seem to eliminate the "home cooking" issue so that is a plus. I definitely see why you entered some kits especially in classes with no entries.

From what you describe the issue is sore losers who don't have the ability to match yours. Nothing wrong with you being a good modeler. The problem is how they are reacting to losing to a better model. Very poor behavior on their part.

I hate to say it but i think i will just quit entering shows, I spend months building my models, painting, buffing to a semi flawless shine, doing wiring and plumbing in the engine bays, as much photo etch as i can without making the car look cheapened by it, antennas and even valve stems and people get pissed when my cars beat theirs. Really kills building models for me......had i not been a member of the club people would still have complainer. IDK but i wish i never would have even entered now..

Hey I wouldn't let the complainers get to you. If you didn't enter they'd find something to complain about.

The way I see it those that can do those that can't complain.

At the D.A.A.M show this past Sunday I bought a Tamiya Porsche Carrera and BMW Z3,A weird Gunze Sangyo Nisasan Skyline group 5 racer,two photo etch sets for Porsche 956/962s,and a Fujimi Skyline GTR R32 minus the wheels(for 5$!).I traded an extra Hasegawa 312T2 detail set that I had for a Revell BMW M3 DTM car and a photo etch detail set for the Revell '32 Ford .

IMG_1634-vi.jpg

I got these at the Liars show last weekend. All three in the bag for a big $4.

IMG_1642-vi.jpg

I was originally drawn to this one. Something about it made me think I could use it as a basis for one of my rusty rat projects...

IMG_1639-vi.jpg

Then I pulled this from the bag. The roof wasn't on it so it didn't stand out until I got it all out of the bag. Now this is a cool chop. The kid who did it never went any further. A piece like this deserves to get finished.

IMG_1640-vi.jpg

And the last one is the only intact model from the bag. It even rolls. So it can sit on a shelf for now.

Can anyone name the kits these came from? Note the chopped coupe is dark green plastic.

Can't beat them for $1.33 each!

@ Tom: "Can anyone name the kits these came from? Note the chopped coupe is dark green plastic."

Yessir. Top one is AMT '25 Ford T. Many variations, basically this one...$(KGrHqJ,!jgE+SWZjrmOBQFv5gQpHg~~60_35.J

Second one, chopped top, is Monogram 1/24 1930 Model A. Issued multiple times, first in '62, like this...mFwPEB43P7GBARZHxwzsLbw.jpg

Third one is AMT '29 Ford, originally issued as part of the AlaKart 2-fer kit.

ALAK-vi.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks Bill... guess that means they are worth saving...

Oh, by all means. Cool kits, definitely. You can still find all 3 unbuilt, but the Ala Kart/'29 Ford and the '30 Monogram (in original issues) are getting pretty expensive. The AMT '29 was issued several times on its own, and the Monogram A was also issued as a build-it-only-one-way too. Prices for those are still pretty reasonable...but what you have are hot-rod classics, fer shur.

Oh, by all means. Cool kits, definitely. You can still find all 3 unbuilt, but the Ala Kart/'29 Ford and the '30 Monogram (in original issues) are getting pretty expensive. The AMT '29 was issued several times on its own, and the Monogram A was also issued as a build-it-only-one-way too. Prices for those are still pretty reasonable...but what you have are hot-rod classics, fer shur.

And with all that history, there is no way I can toss them into the parts box. They will get redone just out of respect that they survived all these years. The more I look, the more they'll be restored to what they were rather than today's rat rods! :)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...