Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Just got it today.

She's a real mess, but I only bought it for the wheel covers, tail lights, some interior parts & possibly the front bumper.

Anything that's left is up for the asking.

Here's a perfect example of what happens to these old promos over time. :blink:

Steve

photo DSCN5189_zps5kwdjnrq.jpg

Did a kid play with it or did heat cause the damage??

Just general warpage Carl.

I thought maybe the top had been crushed but after looking it over, there are no cracks or breakage evident so I assume it's like that from a combination of heat & improper storage.

Something probably sat on the roof for 40 years!

Not only the roof is crushed, but the entire body is badly warped.

I needed the hub caps & steering wheel for a Flintstone resin 2 door that I'll be doing, so I didn't much care about the body.

Steve

Just got it today.

She's a real mess, but I only bought it for the wheel covers, tail lights, some interior parts & possibly the front bumper.

Steve

Or, you could pair it up with something like this for a nice diorama:

The type of plastic used on promos until about 1962 or so, was very prone to warping. It was nice and shiny compared to styrene. But that was about it. I have a very nice 1960 Ford Galaxie 4-door hardtop. Beautiful. But it looks like it's been t-boned on one side. Beyond that it's not badly warped at all.

There is some debate on what causes this. A friend of mine has a impressive dealer display with eight or so Ford promos in it from 1956. The display was setup by the factory mainly to display some of the available colors. Mostly two-tones. All the cars in his display show no signs of warping. But, he keeps the display covered with a black vinyl cloth in front of it, to keep light away from the models. He believes that it's light, not anything else that brings on this warping problem. And looking at the condition of the cars in his display, it's tough to argue with him.

I've been on a "car-toon" model kick lately. Mainly focusing on Revell's Deal's Wheels kits. Just today in the mail I received the ZZZZZ-28. It will look especially good a long side it's sister, the Tirebird Trans Um.

I use to stay away from these types of kits for two reasons. First, they weren't "realistic" enough for me. Second, I hated the idea of hand painting the figures in these kits. Well, in the last couple of years, I found I have a bit of a talent at hand painting figures. In fact I now enjoy it. Plus, I've loosened up a little. I use to dislike caricature kits like the Deal's Wheels or MPC's Zingers. I only like cars that looked "right". Cars I could see myself driving on the street in real life. For the same reason I didn't like race and drag cars. For I could not see myself driving them on the street. I don't know what changed all of that? But, in the last couple of years I've began liking all of that stuff. And I'm having a heck of a lot of fun building a wide variety of stuff now.

Just got it today.

Steve

I could still find a use for whats left of it....diorama material.  Shame these did that...I have a few in the same condition.

Picked up a couple of goodies last night at our MCCM meeting. First I got the new "Art Series" '65 Grand Prix. Very nice.  I talk a little bit about it in the kit review section here.

Then another member had brought in a few older kits he was interested in selling. First, I got from him the 2004 reissue of the GMC Astro 95. I was a little disappointed in that one up. (It was still sealed.) Even though I wanted the Astro for its own sake, I was hoping the kit still came with the gas turibine engine like the original. It did not. Still it will be a nice companion to my Chevy Titan.

The other old kit I got from him, is the old 1/16 MPC '63 Corvette. Been wanting one of these for several years now. This is the Ertl release molded in black plastic. So, I may need to find some of that pink Tamiya primer. For I plan on building it Red with a Red interior. The box is a little beat up. But the contents look complete. Everything is still in their sealed bags. The only thing that is missing, which other members thing would have just been thrown in the box lose, are the springs for the working front suspension. Is there anybody out there that might have a extra set?

Got all three kits at reasonable prices. Especially the Vette. So I'm pretty happy camper.

Picked up a couple of goodies last night at our MCCM meeting. First I got the new "Art Series" '65 Grand Prix. Very nice.  I talk a little bit about it in the kit review section here.

Then another member had brought in a few older kits he was interested in selling. First, I got from him the 2004 reissue of the GMC Astro 95. I was a little disappointed in that one up. (It was still sealed.) Even though I wanted the Astro for its own sake, I was hoping the kit still came with the gas turibine engine like the original. It did not. Still it will be a nice companion to my Chevy Titan.

The other old kit I got from him, is the old 1/16 MPC '63 Corvette. Been wanting one of these for several years now. This is the Ertl release molded in black plastic. So, I may need to find some of that pink Tamiya primer. For I plan on building it Red with a Red interior. The box is a little beat up. But the contents look complete. Everything is still in their sealed bags. The only thing that is missing, which other members thing would have just been thrown in the box lose, are the springs for the working front suspension. Is there anybody out there that might have a extra set?

Got all three kits at reasonable prices. Especially the Vette. So I'm pretty happy camper.

Scott....maybe you could use ink pen springs...???...or something close..?

Fresh supplies from Gravity Colors. 

20160609_154627_zpsmz2irt3m.jpg

Left to Right, Toyota Hot Lava Orange, Gurney Eagle Blue, GC's Multidose clear, GC's white primer, Porsche Acid Green for the calipers on a couple 918's and some Ford Grabber Blue for a 2013 Shelby GT500, just waiting on Plamoz TK to be released. Gonna be a busy summer once everything else arrives.

David

Edited by Jhedir6

Some misc parts I needed for a few old annual's buildups I have. ( 1960 Lincoln tires and wheels with hubcaps, 1959 Impala  tires wheels and hubcaps , as well as another  decent builder original issue SMP 1959 Corvette

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I picked up a 90 % unbuilt 1962 Buick convertible,,,,,,,, while I was there

On the same trip I picked up one of my ebay buys

A decent builder Time Machine altered wheel base chevelle kit

s-l1600.jpg

20160609_184541.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

hobbylobby

I got this!  A brand new Hobby Lobby about a mile from my house.  It used to be the Acme Supermarket and had been empty a few years. I was surprised to see the "Coming Soon" sign on it a few weeks ago.  I thought it might be open so I drove by last night and yes, it had just opened.  It's the exact same layout as the Hobby Lobby I went to in Princeton, NJ near my office, so I instantly knew where everything was. It's an exact replica down to the same items in the exact same places on the shelves! 

I was checking out the model aisle and there was a couple in their 40s.  She had a big picture she was buying, and he just put a big ship model in his cart. He said something to me about this new store.  I asked him if he had ever been to a Hobby Lobby before, and they both said no.  I held up my phone, showing them the 40% off coupon, and asked them if they knew about that.  They didn't, so I explained they could get one item for 40% off per visit.  Then I told him, "And you and your wife don't know each other, right?"  They looked puzzled for a moment then big smiles. They got it that they could each use their phone to each get the discount off their item.  It made my night to help them out.

And what did I get?  I have all the models I need and actually get them cheaper at shows than the 40% off would cost. I didn't need any paints or supplies, so I bought a stamp album. The same type I keep my decals in.  Can't have enough of those!

Some misc parts I needed for a few old annual's buildups I have. ( 1960 Lincoln tires and wheels with hubcaps, 1959 Impala  tires wheels and hubcaps , as well as another  decent builder original issue SMP 1959 Corvette

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I picked up a 90 % unbuilt 1962 Buick convertible,,,,,,,, while I was there

s-l1600.jpg

20160609_184541.jpg

If I'd have known that you were looking for '60 Lincoln parts Bill, I could have helped you out.

Steve

s-l1600.jpg

Good find! I was looking at that one, since it's the first kit I ever tackled at age 7. (Didn't want to buy; just reliving... guess it really is a time machine.) Might be cool to combine with the Revell Z-16 kit to make a stock '65 Malibu, since the AMT body is more accurately shaped, especially the roof. What do you plan for it?

Good find! I was looking at that one, since it's the first kit I ever tackled at age 7. (Didn't want to buy; just reliving... guess it really is a time machine.) Might be cool to combine with the Revell Z-16 kit to make a stock '65 Malibu, since the AMT body is more accurately shaped, especially the roof. What do you plan for it?
Plan for some day later on to redo it as the Bobby Wood AFX drag car ,,,,someday much later on

If I'd have known that you were looking for '60 Lincoln parts Bill, I could have helped you out.

Steve,
 I have quite a parts wanted  list for some of these old annuals . I've bought several pieces of the past 6 months or so .  But it seems the more I buy, the more I need
Edited by gtx6970

Sorry Mark.

I don't have a good windshield frame for the convertible, & I have one hardtop that I will use eventually.

There's a possibility that I may have an extra windshield.

Steve

Thanks Steve.... Mine is a HT 59 promo...one of the straightest I have seen other than for the roof and glass.

From my recent parts trips

3 empty air boxes for the downstairs family room . I picked up for the most part just because I think there cool.

Although I would like to get a 64 Lemans convertible builder for the stash someday.

20160609_184438.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...