Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Yeah, a chunk of corrugated cardboard as a stiffener was probably not the best choice. I can see how that might have gotten jammed in the sorter. Thinner stock would have been better. You've contacted the sender, right?

A standard beige bubble mailer envelope would have been a better choice for mailing something like that.

Natural_Kraft_Bubble_Envelope.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

Yeah, a chunk of corrugated cardboard as a stiffener was probably not the best choice. I can see how that might have gotten jammed in the sorter. Thinner stock would have been better. You've contacted the sender, right?

yea he's already put a new one in the mail, I get them in the mail all the time with cardboaord or file folders cut down this is the first one that's been cut in half

Holy Moly!....I thought I was seeing things until Tom confirmed, "Non-Machineable" written right on it! Wow! Be it that our rural postal carrier isn't the best, the local post office here is always careful about processing my packages in and out. And when I say something is fragile, they mark every side with the super wide tipped black marker...in bold, large, "guys I'll come back there and get you if you mess this up" writing.

Edited by Skydime

Holy Moly!....I thought I was seeing things until Tom confirmed, "Non-Machineable" written right on it!

I wonder who wrote that on the envelope, the sender or a USPS employee? Either way, it's spelled incorrectly, and from my experience, USPS has a stamp they apply when you pay extra (key words) for the non-machinable charge, meaning the letter is not sent through the automated sorter. No way for us to know if the sender paid for that extra service or not, but sending the decal sheet in a proper package, and as a package instead of a letter wouldn't probably saved a lot of trouble.

USPS has a stamp they apply when you pay extra (key words) for the non-machinable charge,

Yes, the USPS got real serious with that on the last rate hike. It used to be if you mailed someone a part, say a 1/25 scale hood in a small bubble mailer, and it weighed 2 oz, that's what you paid. Now you're paying a minimum of $2 for anything that isn't purely a letter.

Picked up this china cabinet yesterday. Guy wanted 100 bucks but accepted my offer of 80. Needs a little work and a good cleaning before my wife will allow it in the house. : ) It will be one of my Cobra only cabinets. Should be able to get quite a few in here. I can buy some more !!!!!

cabinetanddiecast002_zps8f8a1bb3.jpg

Picked up this china cabinet yesterday. Guy wanted 100 bucks but accepted my offer of 80. Needs a little work and a good cleaning before my wife will allow it in the house. : ) It will be one of my Cobra only cabinets. Should be able to get quite a few in here. I can buy some more !!!!!

Very cool Ray. I have two china cabinets I use. The first one was a freebie and the second one cost me $100. It's easy enough to add a shelf between each of the existing shelves. I had glass shelves cut at the local glass place for cheap.

I remember seeing a photo of yours Tom. Much nicer than this one but it's getting better with my cleaning efforts. I will have to at some point add a shelf between the ones that are already there. Someone had a beautiful arched cabinet I wanted but they would never return my calls or text. In fact I tried to contact 5 different people and this guy was the only one to respond.

Estate sale score this morning! '65 Impala promo; taillights missing and weak paint on the hood and trunk, otherwise decent, $8.00:

12108186855_1d529f7403_z.jpg

Even better - Craftsman '64 Chevelle, missing one wheel and tire (and the remaining three had tire melt on the wheels) but otherwise complete and untouched by glue, $5.00 (this has been on my want list for ages but they're tough to find cheap and/or nice):

12108852686_27e6c3a793_z.jpg

And this was an impulse buy, a Mattel Power Shop for ten bucks:

12108491933_7a02808f9b_z.jpg

It does run nice and quiet; does anyone here have one of these and can tell me what may be missing (besides the directions)?

Edit: Found info and instructions at samstoybox.com.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Estate sale score this morning! '65 Impala promo; taillights missing and weak paint on the hood and trunk, otherwise decent, $8.00:

12108186855_1d529f7403_z.jpg

Even better - Craftsman '64 Chevelle, missing one wheel and tire (and the remaining three had tire melt on the wheels) but otherwise complete and untouched by glue, $5.00 (this has been on my want list for ages but they're tough to find cheap and/or nice):

12108852686_27e6c3a793_z.jpg

And this was an impulse buy, a Mattel Power Shop for ten bucks:

12108491933_7a02808f9b_z.jpg

It does run nice and quiet; does anyone here have one of these and can tell me what may be missing (besides the directions)?

Edit: Found info and instructions at samstoybox.com.

If you want your money back let me know....LOL!... NICE score!!!

Real nice price Ray. IF you ad more glass shelves it will hold a bunch of Cobras. You might in time have to add a room just for models. I am running low on space....

Real nice price Ray. IF you ad more glass shelves it will hold a bunch of Cobras. You might in time have to add a room just for models. I am running low on space....

I am running out of space as well. This new cabinet will make 7 that I have in the house. I also have 2 double door cabinets (no glass) out in the garage that are full of Cobra's. I do have a spare bedroom in the house but I really want to save that for guests. Don't want to take over the whole house. Really would like a 4 bedroom house instead of this 3 bedroom but I hate the thought of moving again.

20140124_102151.jpg

20140124_102142.jpg

Browsing craigslist and came across 2 airbrushes and a compressor for $50. Turns out the guy was 5 minutes from my house. Badger compressor, aztek action and paasche single action 3 air lines some tips and a few bottles. Everything works great. Not bad for $50

Edited by dwayne4385

Good score on the airbrushes and compressor Jason.

I picked up an MPC 1972 GTO. I plan to build it similar to the silver '57 Chevy in the current Hot Rod magazine. I ordered a 588 BB engine with a Holley Dominator from VCG resins and their 6 spd Tremec tranny. What came today were the AMF tires from Plastic Performance and the Wide 5s from Early Years Resin. Good stuff. I'm getting the ride height laid out now. I've cleaned enough flash off the parts to build another car !! Wish me luck.

Edited by GoatGuy

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...