Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you ever had these types of moments...

Where you get that strange urge that you want to build something of a different category that you normally don't build?

I have found myself sticking to the 1/24 and 1/25 cars and some rally stuff, but lately I have really been getting the itch to build a formula 1 car. I've never built one, but have three in my stash from tamiya, two ferraris and a mclaren. The more I gawk at what my favorite eBay seller has, the more I want to purchase to build as a collection. Trying to restrain myself here!

Has anybody here had these weird itches to try another category car outside of your comfort zone? If so, what was the subject?

I'm dying to build a low rider bomb 41 Chevy pickup that I've been picturing in my mind for two or three years now. I've got most, if not all of the parts collected and have done a bit of research on the paint job I want to do. Someday soon......

Later-

Trying something different is the perfect way to trip the old "refresh" button. I used to think that curbsides, customs and anything below a '49 was a waste of time. Now, curbsides are my favorite type of build. I have fell in love with customs for some reason and I now have three builds completed below my former '49 cut off. If you try it, you just may like it.

Well, I have absolutely no use for motorcycles. You couldn't get me on one for all the tea in China. In fact if you ever see me on one it means I've decided to end it all. Anyway despite all that I have a growing collection of them in the stash to be built. Makes no sense to me but there you have it... :wacko::unsure::rolleyes::P

All the time! I believe we get a lot of exposure to different style vehicles from our involvement in clubs, shows and the boards. Most of what I build, and have built in the past 30 years, has been due to seeing something new and wanting to try it out for myself. As a result, my automotive horizons have really expanded. I know a lot more than when I started modeling. I have a greater appreciation for vehicles I never would have thought of otherwise. And that's a good thing.

My "comfort zone" includes cars, trucks, bikes, ships, planes, stagecoaches, trains, covered wagons... or anything else that looks like it would be interesting and fun to build. I can't imagine artificially restricting myself to only one certain type of model, or only one certain scale. That's like going to all the best restaurants and always ordering a burger and fries, no matter how many other things are on the menu.

My "comfort zone" includes cars, trucks, bikes, ships, planes, stagecoaches, trains, covered wagons... or anything else that looks like it would be interesting and fun to build. I can't imagine artificially restricting myself to only one certain type of model, or only one certain scale. That's like going to all the best restaurants and always ordering a burger and fries, no matter how many other things are on the menu.

must be nice to be comfortable in all aspects of modelling. :)

i guess i should say "if you have a favorite type of genre, how often do you get the hankering to build something of a different genre?"

Edited by wgflatliner

Contrary to what everyone is saying here, I'm trying to narrow my limits on what I build. I am running out of room for one thing. I only build what I like and that is mostly cars and trucks from the '20s thru '50s and some '60s, I build mostly Fords and Chevys . Something different for me would be a Chrysler product and I do have a few in my stash. I do love the Hudsons and of course VWs.

Once at a club meeting, I had a newcomer visiting us looking for someone to build an F1 racecar for him. One of the guys told him that once in a while I would do comission work so he asked me if I could build it for him. I had never built an F1 racer but I do consider myself to be pretty versatile when it comes to modeling so I accepted the challenge. It was a Revell McLaren Mercedes MP4-25, the Jenson Button car. I thought it was a little challenging but I must say that I did have fun putting it together, surely something different, guess that's what I enjoyed the most.

The car was supposed to be painted chrome but I just went with a silver color from Tamiya and a clearcoat, the guy didn't want to pay the extra price for the paintingjob. :rolleyes:

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

3/4 of my builds are vintage drag cars and some Mopar factory stock. I do get a inkeling once in a while to do something different , just never do it. I do have a desire to do some IMSA cars sometime though

BUT I have been buying up early 30s 'big' cars as a future 'to do' list. such as 1930-34 Packards Duesenbergs, Lincolns , Chrysler Imperials , Cadillacs etc etc One of my more recent buys was a Hellar Hispana-Suiza kit ( I think I spelled that right)

That's me too Harry!!!