Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Kits - Shown But Never Released

Casey

21 hours ago, Atmobil said:

When was that Pepsi Coke kit announced? And why did we not get it? I would have like to have it just for the decals.

The '23 T Delivery (AMT 860)? I would guess early 2014, since AMT 862, the '51 Chevy Bel Air kit, was released in March 2014. It's one of at least two kits which were going to have Pepsi branding/decals, but never happened, like the Pepsi-branded Vending Machine:

MPCVendingMachinePepsi.jpg.0d0a675981b3d8c0b4804601ba1e31d5.jpg

The Vending Machine and '23 T Delivery were both later reissued with Coke decals, so maybe it was just a timing issue regarding the licensing.

Edited by Casey

How about the Lindberg 1/4 scale clear operating engine Flathead Ford . Was supposed to be out about 5 or so years ago. After being delayed for a year or so i called lindberg and they assured me they were still going to make it. STILL WAITING.  

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...

Haven't taken the time to go through this entire thread again, but there are two "Ghost Kits" shown in the "Classic Kits" column in the February 2019 issue of the other model car magazine, that I do not recall being mentioned previously in this thread. 

Apologizing in advance if they were.  In that case, there is still probably "new news' regarding the origin and fate of these two kits that were announced but never produced......

TIM 

• 9 months later...

Tim Boyd's pictures of several AMT ghost kits-- Garwood Refuse Hauler, Porsche 911, bottom dump grain hauler trailer-- can be viewed here: 

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/model-car-events-co/a-heretofore-unknow/a-heretofore-unknow/?view=roll#1

DSC_0730-vi.jpg

It's not hyperbole to say it's amazing these wood masters have survived all these years, so thanks to Tim Boyd and Tim Rice (the master maker and person who saved everything) for doing what they did to preserve this slice of automotive model history.

The grapevine says Round 2 is in talks with Tim Rice to produce the Garwood refuse body from the remaining 1/10 wood master! Truck modelers if you want to see this happen, E-mail  John G. at Round 2 to make this happen!!!!!!!!! This is straight from the horse's mouth!!!!

I wonder what ever happened with the Bulletnose Stude and '49 (I think) Olds kits that were supposedly in the works when RC2 aquired Ertl. HTU had a skew for the Stude in there system at one time, but I have no idea if it still is since I never looked into it after the changeover to the SMART point of sale from the one they were using when I started working there in '01.

12 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

I wonder what ever happened with the Bulletnose Stude and '49 (I think) Olds kits that were supposedly in the works when RC2 aquired Ertl. HTU had a skew for the Stude in there system at one time, but I have no idea if it still is since I never looked into it after the changeover to the SMART point of sale from the one they were using when I started working there in '01.

Neither of those were ever started, other than pasting together the boxes.  Those were shown at a trade show and didn't get enough orders to go further.  Ertl, RC2, or whoever, doesn't sell the product to us, they sell to wholesalers and (back then) a big department store or two.  None of them were apparently interested.

1 hour ago, Joe Handley said:

If my rusty memory serves me right his morning, I believe that was about the time that Playing Mantis sold the company to Tomy who really wanted the diecast part of the operation. 

The 1950 Studebaker was shifted over to diecast and was produced as part of the Johnny Lightning 1/24 scale series.  At first it was cancelled and one of the guys involved in the development gave me a factory preproduction sample missing a tail light.   Later the diecast came out.

And we eventually got the Olds from Revell

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Now you've got me wondering how the Corvair would look if it survived into the '70s, with '70s style bumpers and '70s pimpmobile styiling.  Perhaps it's just as well it died when it did.

It probably wouldn't have made it past '73 anyway and into a 4th generation. You're right with that being all for the better too, automotive styling in this country took a nosedive after '74 and never truly recovered until the 80's.