Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Kits - Shown But Never Released

Casey

On 8/30/2018 at 8:44 AM, 89AKurt said:

Years ago I saw in a catalog, a future release for the Boyd Sportstar as a resin kit.

1289790986_SportstarPhoenixModels.thumb.jpg.92376379620542d90d0624e6579e8962.jpg

I'm losing it...... forgot why I left a comment on this topic, now I know.  I was dumb luck that I searched eBay one night, and found this for sale by a vendor who must not have known how rare these are.  After getting it, think I know why it didn't last longer than initial production.

Sportstar.thumb.jpg.a3c890e22cda1274d7e5b97166edf979.jpg

I'm bummed the seats are missing, but that wouldn't be impossible to fabricate.  So nix this from the ghost category.

• Like 1

Just wow...today I visited with a very long time (45 years...) friend and very well-known model car builder and historian, who had recently relocated within a few hours of where I live. 

He showed me something I had never seen or heard of until now...a blueprint of a one=page exploded view concept blueprint for an addition to AMT's Trophy Series kit lineup that apparently never made it beyond this point of development. 

I tried to take some pictures of the blueprint but it was far from optimal conditions for photography.   That, and my present project moving my business office means it will be a few days before I am able to download the photos and see if/how they turned out.   Under any circumstance, though I will post more details and possibly a few images as a separate (new) topic in this part of the forum. 

Best....TIM   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hmm. I have a couple guesses... 😉

Chris....it is so off the wall I wasn't even aware the real car existed....which is probably why the kit never progressed beyond the blueprint layout stage....TB 

5 minutes ago, paul alflen said:

It must have been Dennis Doty! as far as the car, I'll guess the Jordan Playboy, Muntz Jet or a Hudson Jet?

DING DING DING on the person I visited, but no on the guesses.  The proposed kit topic was far more esoteric (in my view, and I suspect Dennis would agree) than even those you list above.   Good guesses, though, Paul.  Best...TB 

@tim boyd More esoteric than a Muntz Jet. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ghia 6.2L coupe? 911 you knew about, it’s not esoteric. Maybe Pierce Silver Arrow. 
A: please spill

B: hope you’re working on book with DD and some others. 
😄 Haven’t heard about Mr. Doty in ages. Hope he’s well and thriving. Made it thru Covid so there’s that. Best to him and you both. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 9:37 PM, tim boyd said:

Just wow...today I visited with a very long time (45 years...) friend and very well-known model car builder and historian, who had recently relocated within a few hours of where I live. 

He showed me something I had never seen or heard of until now...a blueprint of a one=page exploded view concept blueprint for an addition to AMT's Trophy Series kit lineup that apparently never made it beyond this point of development. 

I tried to take some pictures of the blueprint but it was far from optimal conditions for photography.   That, and my present project moving my business office means it will be a few days before I am able to download the photos and see if/how they turned out.   Under any circumstance, though I will post more details and possibly a few images as a separate (new) topic in this part of the forum. 

Best....TIM   

The whole story now revealed....would you believe...a 1915 Chevrolet Royal Mail Roadster Trophy Series kit c. late 1966?  Check it out...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:30 PM, Casey said:

Tim Boyd's pictures of several AMT ghost kits-- Garwood Refuse Hauler, Porsche 911, bottom dump grain hauler trailer-- can be viewed here: 

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/model-car-events-co/a-heretofore-unknow/a-heretofore-unknow/?view=roll#1

DSC_0730-vi.jpg

It's not hyperbole to say it's amazing these wood masters have survived all these years, so thanks to Tim Boyd and Tim Rice (the master maker and person who saved everything) for doing what they did to preserve this slice of automotive model history.

71DdunlDP8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On 6/7/2022 at 3:53 PM, tim boyd said:

The whole story now revealed....would you believe...a 1915 Chevrolet Royal Mail Roadster Trophy Series kit c. late 1966?  Check it out...

Imagine an alternate world where this was more popular than the Model T and we ended up with thousands of C(hevy)-bucket hot rods!  

That would be a fun scale project actually - plus the other variations shown on that concept drawing…