Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Windows updates that cause oddball problems, and touchpads that work whenever they damm well please.

All things I can fix, but it always seems like I'm doing somebody else's work, for free.

I have to agree with this!

In a recent update, microshaft decided to replace the "open command window here" command with "open powershell here".

I don't use powershell and I really wanted to keep using a feature that has been working fine for over ten years.   :angry:

Found at a local thrift store....

For several year now, most of the local Goodwills have been pricing stuff at close to what you can buy new for and now one of the other thrift stores is following suit.  While I understand they want to maximize what they get, what they get was free and needs to be priced realistically.  I usually donate any nascar kits I get to area church rummage sales.  Let some kid build it and grab for a buck or two.

IMG_1359.JPG

One of our local thrift stores now puts the nicest donated items, kits and diecasts in a showcase and runs two-week auctions where you enter your bid on a sheet corresponding with the number on the item. Sometimes there's good money made for them this way.

mike

In my opinion nobody pays attention to car alarms i hear them go off at a mall and no one cares what does one do ? 

Buy the club for the steering wheel it works 

But anyway Good luck to you ?

not really, a decent bolt cutter will take care of cutting through the steering wheel and you can just lift the club off. We were taught this by a professional when the tow company I worked with was going to start recovering reposessions, and getting vehicles to settle court cases.

Edited by horsepower

Toothbrushes! Yeah, something as simple as a toothbrush has me irked right now. I just got a gallon of SuperClean and a big pan with tight fitting lid to remove paint from a couple of kits I have in my stash. I asked my wife to pick up a regular, medium hard, straight bristle toothbrush. They apparently don't exist! She's been to 5 different stores looking for one, but none to be found. You can buy pretty much every configuration of curved handled, angled brush, super duper, etc, etc, brush you want, but not a straight handled, straight bristled, plain old toothbrush! I finally found a couple of different denture brushes that should be just fine for use with the cleaner. Who would have thought?

Little over a month ago I had to go to the doctor to have some long term swelling and a possible wound checked out on my right leg and initially her office ordered these special bandages for the wound until they could wrap my leg to try and keep the swelling down as well as get the wound to close up. I received the box of bandages about mid August with an invoice but no billing. At the time I figured that my insurance had covered it as I had never received any bill for a co-pay.  Well, I used about 6 of these bandages and have had my leg wrapped multiple times, plus lots of meds to control water retention swelling and any infection with the expected co-pays.  Suddenly on 9/11 I received a letter from the company that provided the bandages showing that my insurer cover not quite 1/2 the cost. I waited until payday and mailed in what I owed on 9/16 (my 41st birthday) and when I got home from running errands and getting some lunch before going to visit Mom at the hospital, there was another bill from them in the mail box. I thought that seemed pretty quick for a second one and just put the my part of bill#1 in the envelope with bill#2 and left them on the table. I get home from visiting Mom on 9/18 and there is bill#3 from them that my Sister tossed on the steps going upstairs when she got home from work that night?!  Now for those who are keeping score, that is 3 bills in 7 days from one company for the same items, at this rate, I'm hoping they won't have me going to collections before that check I mailed arrives!

What irks me is kit pilferers.  Went into Hobby Lobby yesterday to see what may be on clearance.  I picked up a Revell 57 DelRio Wagon for $14.99.  While looking through some of the other stuff came across an AMT Blazer.  It appeared to have been rewrapped, the lid did not fit all the way down and there was a slight bulge in the lid.  It was marked down to $17.99.  I talked with the department manager and asked about the repackaging.  She said it may have been done there and if there was anything missing to bring it back.  When I got it home, I immediately opened it and began looking through it.  Tires, both sets check, chrome tree, check, there was a small tear in one of the bags, so I went to the bottom of the box to see what should be on that particular sprue.  After carefully checking I discovered someone had filched the steering wheel.  I have bought pilfered kits on several occasions, many were complete, others missing quite a few pieces ('Revell Heavy Chevy- body, interior, chassis, and suspension, everything else gone).  If someone is going to risk getting nabbed for shoplifting, why only a steering wheel?  At least take the bag of tires.

What irks me is kit pilferers.  Went into Hobby Lobby yesterday to see what may be on clearance.  I picked up a Revell 57 DelRio Wagon for $14.99.  While looking through some of the other stuff came across an AMT Blazer.  It appeared to have been rewrapped, the lid did not fit all the way down and there was a slight bulge in the lid.  It was marked down to $17.99.  I talked with the department manager and asked about the repackaging.  She said it may have been done there and if there was anything missing to bring it back.  When I got it home, I immediately opened it and began looking through it.  Tires, both sets check, chrome tree, check, there was a small tear in one of the bags, so I went to the bottom of the box to see what should be on that particular sprue.  After carefully checking I discovered someone had filched the steering wheel.  I have bought pilfered kits on several occasions, many were complete, others missing quite a few pieces ('Revell Heavy Chevy- body, interior, chassis, and suspension, everything else gone).  If someone is going to risk getting nabbed for shoplifting, why only a steering wheel?  At least take the bag of tires.

Someone may have bought it, taken it home, then returned it minus the part(s) they wanted for free.

What has made me mad more than once is to be selling complete models at a show and find the same thing has happened when I got home and was putting things away. I didn't notice at first but one kit looked like the box wouldn't close all the way. When I started looking around I found wheels and tires missing from a couple of kits. These are supposed to be our fellow modelers, very disappointing.  

What has made me mad more than once is to be selling complete models at a show and find the same thing has happened when I got home and was putting things away. I didn't notice at first but one kit looked like the box wouldn't close all the way. When I started looking around I found wheels and tires missing from a couple of kits. These are supposed to be our fellow modelers, very disappointing.  

I think this can happen innocently.  How many times have you been working on a project and rummaged through some model kits looking for a part?  And you always think you will remember that you stole the steering wheel or transmission out of that kit. But you won't!   I started putting half an old business card in the box  "took steering wheel" so I won't have to rely on my memory.   I'd suspect any opened box that was owned by a modeler because of this.  

And it's difficult to check a kit down to the last part at a show.  Pretty much you look... body, interior, glass, chrome tree, tire, instructions and decals... check!  Then you get home and that dern steering wheel is missing! 

Having sold kits off and on, have had kits with parts missing. If it is an open kit, I always suggest the person buying it look it over. Even sealed kits, if they're really old, I suggest that it might be a good idea to check it for tire burn, short shot, etc. after they've bought it. It such is the case, then we renegotiate the price if they still want it. Also I'm bought kits that later I decide to sell and there is parts missing that I've never checked. I used to just buy stuff and stick it on a shelf. Other problem that is unfortunate, and seems to be getting worse, is people stealing parts out of kits at shows.

If the boxes are open, ask to look through before you buy.  With most sellers, it's "complete unless marked otherwise" on the price sticker, but not all. 

Having sold kits off and on, have had kits with parts missing. If it is an open kit, I always suggest the person buying it look it over. Even sealed kits, if they're really old, I suggest that it might be a good idea to check it for tire burn, short shot, etc. after they've bought it. It such is the case, then we renegotiate the price if they still want it. Also I'm bought kits that later I decide to sell and there is parts missing that I've never checked. I used to just buy stuff and stick it on a shelf. Other problem that is unfortunate, and seems to be getting worse, is people stealing parts out of kits at shows.

I know of what you suggest, but in several of these kits I had gone thru an inventory with a prior "maybe" buyer and the tires were there. I can see over looking a very small part or even have something fall off the tree, but I'm talking about out right pilfering when your busy talking to someone else and find the kit hastily replaced in the display boxes.

Telemarketing.

More every day. I never answer the crapp, but there's always several useless messages on my voicemail I have to sort through and discard. And every time I set up my phone to reject calls from a particular number, the same f-wads call from another number, most of the time a fake spoofed number anyway.

I don't understand how my landline went from being a tool for MY convenience (that I effing PAY for) to being a portal directly into my home for unwanted and intrusive sales BS.

And I don't understand WHY it's still legal. Almost ALL of the calls are some kind of scam, and everyone in the known universe HATES them. Still, they continue unabated and the "do not call" list is a joke.

Seriously...has ANYBODY here ever actually BOUGHT anything hawked by a telemarketer?

I agree totally with you Bill. We gave up our land line awhile back but I feel the same way about the door knockers. The other day the doorbell rings ( I do have a little sign by the doorbell not to call ) anyway, I go to the door and it's someone that wants to clean one room of carpets for free. I point out the sign and I am told " we're not selling anything we want to clean a room for free !  No way I'm letting you in my house guys and how many people that want their carpets cleaned are just waiting for someone to come to the door ?

agreed.  When we bought our house in PA, the home alarm system needed a land line so we got it one.  We never intended to hook a phone to the thing, we use our cell phones for everything.  Once I started working from home, I used the line to call into conference calls to keep the minutes off my cell.  Instantly this phone started ringing with pest calls.  Just out of curiosity I put an answering machine on it and we logged half a dozen calls a day.  On a phone that had never been used!   Now I just plug it in when I need to dial into a call. 

I had a land line in Phoenix for the alarm system (2008 vintage), but with the house in Ohio I got an alarm system that works over the wi-fi...have carbon monoxide and smoke alarms tied in with it, multiple outside cameras, etc tied in..control it all from my phone.   Working from home, I use my cell for my work phone since I have unlimited minutes; have my work extension in Scottsdale routed to it. 

The funny thing about spam calls on my cell is there almost never a message left..I see them in phone call log as missed calls, but no message.  So I go through and block the numbers, though I know they have more and will try again.. 

Edited by Rob Hall