Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Most Friday nights my wife and I will sit out on the deck and share a glass of Vino and discuss what we are going to do with are winnings on Sunday morning. Then on Monday she goes back to work and I set about my chores.    

So while I was doing some stuff around the house the other day I had a crummy movie on the Sci-Fi channel. ( aren't they all ? ) Anyway, I would look over at it from time to time and in one part there was a girl trying to hunt down some type of creature on this ship she was on. She was carrying a rifle which was clearly a bolt action.  When she found her target she started to fire. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. She fired 5 shots and never once worked the action. Small irk I guess but such a simple and obvious error. Movie magic I guess. :D

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

So while I was doing some stuff around the house the other day I had a crummy movie on the Sci-Fi channel. ( aren't they all ? ) Anyway, I would look over at it from time to time and in one part there was a girl trying to hunt down some type of creature on this ship she was on. She was carrying a rifle which was clearly a bolt action.  When she found her target she started to fire. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. She fired 5 shots and never once worked the action. Small irk I guess but such a simple and obvious error. Movie magic I guess. :D

I always liked the 10 - 12 shot six shooters.

On 2018-10-22 at 7:37 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

This is why I hate the perceived need on the part of car designers to run every dammed thing through an ECU now, even things that could very easily be run by TWO WIRES.

I recently had a car that was discharging its battery SOMETIMES, like you.

I eventually traced the cause to an internally-shorted brake-light switch. BUT...the short was more like a very high resistance in the OFF position, rather than a direct dead short. You'd park the car, test for current draw, nothing. Come back two days later, dead battery.

Checked every circuit in the thing, and the diodes in the alternator. Everything peachy keen.

It was a "second" car, so the owner could leave it in the shop for a while. I happened to come in one night and saw the brake lights on. Ghosts. The intermittent high-resistance short through the brake-light switch was just enough to send a signal...SOMETIMES...to the ECU, telling it to turn on the brake lights.

Try diagnosing THAT without a fair bit of luck. B)

Want to try and diagnose a odd problem i have in my 93 ZJ 5.2?:P

I can start with that it is an intermittent problem so it can run fine for months and then start to act up for a few days/weeks/months...
What happens is that something in it decides that idling is just stupid so it will not idle at all when its cold or warm, i can force it to "idle" if i adjust the rpm,s with the accelerator.
Untill it has warmed up i have to drive it with both feet, one on the accelerator to keep the engine running and one for braking + watching the rpm,s on the dash and also listen to the engine, this way of driving it can get very interesting sometimes...
When it has warmed up enough so that it keeps idling it will do it at about 400rpm,s and not the normal 8-900 it usually stays at..
The distance i have to drive it for it to be able to idle by itself is never the same sometimes it can take 5-6km,s other times i have driven 60km,s and it still would not idle.

Here is what i have done:
Checked and tested every wire in the enginebay all checked out fine.
Replaced every sensor on the engine and those that were aftermarket was replaced to mopar parts = still would not want to idle
Replaced o2 sensor as it was failing = still would not want to idle
Checked for vaccuumleaks, did not find any leaks at all. = still would not want to idle
Normal service stuff + fuelinjectors (had one that got stuck open) = still would not want to idle
Replaced pcm to a known good just to eliminate that. = still would not want to idle so the stock pcm got put back in again
New battery and tested alternator = still would not want to idle

Then as suddenly as it starts with the no idle thing it will work like nothing was ever wrong with it..
Oh i forgot, there is no factory or aftermarket security system in it.
Ever had that problem on a car/ truck before?

7 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

I can start with that it is an intermittent problem so it can run fine for months and then start to act up for a few days/weeks/months...
What happens is that something in it decides that idling is just stupid so it will not idle at all when its cold or warm, i can force it to "idle" if i adjust the rpm,s with the accelerator.
Untill it has warmed up i have to drive it with both feet, one on the accelerator to keep the engine running and one for braking + watching the rpm,s on the dash and also listen to the engine, this way of driving it can get very interesting sometimes...
When it has warmed up enough so that it keeps idling it will do it at about 400rpm,s and not the normal 8-900 it usually stays at..
The distance i have to drive it for it to be able to idle by itself is never the same sometimes it can take 5-6km,s other times i have driven 60km,s and it still would not idle.

Here is what i have done:
Checked and tested every wire in the enginebay all checked out fine.
Replaced every sensor on the engine and those that were aftermarket was replaced to mopar parts = still would not want to idle
Replaced o2 sensor as it was failing = still would not want to idle
Checked for vaccuumleaks, did not find any leaks at all. = still would not want to idle
Normal service stuff + fuelinjectors (had one that got stuck open) = still would not want to idle
Replaced pcm to a known good just to eliminate that. = still would not want to idle so the stock pcm got put back in again
New battery and tested alternator = still would not want to idle

Then as suddenly as it starts with the no idle thing it will work like nothing was ever wrong with it..
Oh i forgot, there is no factory or aftermarket security system in it.
Ever had that problem on a car/ truck before?

LOL!  Well, at least you can be fairly certain that it is not any of the parts you already replaced. :D  Yeah, I know that this is very frustrating.

No trouble codes are even set in the PCM?  You mention that the problem is intermittent and that you checked all the wires. But how about the electrical connectors?  Maybe one of those causes intermittant connection?  Assuming that the PCM is in the passenger compartment, did you check the wires from the firewall connector to the PCM?

When the car is working properly, can you simulate the problem by pulling off one of the connectors on on one of the sensors?

Do you have the service manual which explains which components are responsible for controlling the idle speed?

Edited by peteski

16 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

...Ever had that problem on a car/ truck before?

If I could talk to the vehicle, please...

I've had a similar problem on a 2001 OBD II vehicle, intermittent, symptoms much like you describe, and it turned out to be rodent-chewed wiring to the throttle-position sensor. Intermittent problems are the most frustrating. I won't pretend that diagnosing emission-controlled vehicle electronics is my specialty, but if I have the factory data and the required test equipment, I can muddle my way through. Anything on your vehicle though, with which I'm not at all familiar, would just be a blind guess.

One thing however: I have corrected several oddball intermittent misbehaviors by simply cleaning and tightening all the battery and engine and chassis ground connections. And Peteski's suggestion about checking the connectors is a good one. I once had intermittent electric fans inop, and after testing everything and finding no problems, they quit as the client was leaving, and thankfully, she noticed the temp creeping up before any damage occurred. Then during subsequent testing, the fans mysteriously came back on. Although I had checked all the connectors in the fan harness, and they all LOOKED fine, I got lucky and happened to jiggle one connector just right with the engine running, and the fans quit again. Turns out there had been water ingress into the connector, and the junction between the wires and crimped end was corroded and only making intermittent connection. NOTE: You couldn't see anything was wrong, even with the connector unplugged and examined internally, without removing the connector from the harness and removing the crimped wire ends from it.

The reason I mentioned OBD II, required as of 1996, is that some of the later systems keep what is essentially an "event log", so with the right equipment (not the normal consumer-grade scanners), you can sometimes go into the memory to see what it was thinking and feeling at the time of the occurrence. This, of course, can make diagnosis easier.

Unfortunately though, at least among the OBD II systems I have some familiarity with, there is no "time stamp" recorded when faults occur...and this is one of the reasons diagnosing intermittent problems, even on some of the most sophisticated and "smartest" systems, can be beyond "frustrating"...and something blissfully overlooked by people who sing the praises of computer-controlled-everything vehicles.

Good luck.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

12 hours ago, peteski said:

LOL!  Well, at least you can be fairly certain that it is not any of the parts you already replaced. :D  Yeah, I know that this is very frustrating.

No trouble codes are even set in the PCM?  You mention that the problem is intermittent and that you checked all the wires. But how about the electrical connectors?  Maybe one of those causes intermittant connection?  Assuming that the PCM is in the passenger compartment, did you check the wires from the firewall connector to the PCM?

When the car is working properly, can you simulate the problem by pulling off one of the connectors on on one of the sensors?

Do you have the service manual which explains which components are responsible for controlling the idle speed?

Yeah it is very frustrating, infact so frustrating that this is the first vehicle i have just given up on and dont even care that it does it anymore.
I have checked the connectors to and cleaned them + i did what Ace-Garageguy mention about disasemble the connectors.
No trouble codes sets when it does this, this is also a pre obd system so to check troublecodes i have to count how many times the check engine light flashes.
The pcm is in the enginebay so every wire from that to everything else is ok.
I have not tested to simulate the problem, might try that.

Yes i have jeeps own factory service manual for it and have tried to find that but for most of the electrical problems it just refers to the drb2 scan tool..

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If I could talk to the vehicle, please...

I've had a similar problem on a 2001 OBD II vehicle, intermittent, symptoms much like you describe, and it turned out to be rodent-chewed wiring to the throttle-position sensor. Intermittent problems are the most frustrating. I won't pretend that diagnosing emission-controlled vehicle electronics is my specialty, but if I have the factory data and the required test equipment, I can muddle my way through. Anything on your vehicle though, with which I'm not at all familiar, would just be a blind guess.

One thing however: I have corrected several oddball intermittent misbehaviors by simply cleaning and tightening all the battery and engine and chassis ground connections. And Peteski's suggestion about checking the connectors is a good one. I once had intermittent electric fans inop, and after testing everything and finding no problems, they quit as the client was leaving, and thankfully, she noticed the temp creeping up before any damage occurred. Then during subsequent testing, the fans mysteriously came back on. Although I had checked all the connectors in the fan harness, and they all LOOKED fine, I got lucky and happened to jiggle one connector just right with the engine running, and the fans quit again. Turns out there had been water ingress into the connector, and the junction between the wires and crimped end was corroded and only making intermittent connection. NOTE: You couldn't see anything was wrong, even with the connector unplugged and examined internally, without removing the connector from the harness and removing the crimped wire ends from it.

The reason I mentioned OBD II, required as of 1996, is that some of the later systems keep what is essentially an "event log", so with the right equipment (not the normal consumer-grade scanners), you can sometimes go into the memory to see what it was thinking and feeling at the time of the occurrence. This, of course, can make diagnosis easier.

Unfortunately though, at least among the OBD II systems I have some familiarity with, there is no "time stamp" recorded when faults occur...and this is one of the reasons diagnosing intermittent problems, even on some of the most sophisticated and "smartest" systems, can be beyond "frustrating"...and something blissfully overlooked by people who sing the praises of computer-controlled-everything vehicles.

Good luck.  :D

Yeah if also could talk to vehicles i would still be a mechanic and not building reachstackers where any problems is up to someone else to figure out, i am just hired to build them:lol:
This is to old for obdII and have what Chrysler called "Chrysler 1" that is useless unless you have a drb2 scan tool.
Without that you can just check what troublecodes there are by cycling the ignitionkey and then count how many times the check engine light flashes so thats not much help when it just displays 55= end of codes/no stored codes.
Haha thanks, but this has been going on for about 4 years now so i have basically given up on it.
I am at that point that i am thinking of modding the cruisecontrol system a bit so i can manually control it when i am standing still.
Already have the wiring diagram for that + the relays and switches needed..

I can actually say that I despise the DMV.Its one of the last,the ((government has all of us by the throat,)))),for lack of a better word.Almost $300 to register my car.The DMV guy started reading off a list of charges and surcharges.Charging anything they want.And we have to pay.NYSDMV.Dont you think in this day and age,we could get rid of the DMV,and be able to do everything on your phone.But nope we sit there like sheep,again for lack of a better word,,for hours..In fact while I was there,I almost got into a heated argument with a worker,but I just stopped and walked away far away :D:lol:from her.

27 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

I can actually say that I despise the DMV.Its one of the last,the ((government has all of us by the throat,)))),for lack of a better word.Almost $300 to register my car.The DMV guy started reading off a list of charges and surcharges.Charging anything they want.And we have to pay.NYSDMV.Dont you think in this day and age,we could get rid of the DMV,and be able to do everything on your phone.But nope we sit there like sheep,again for lack of a better word,,for hours..In fact while I was there,I almost got into a heated argument with a worker,but I just stopped and walked away far away :D:lol:from her.

No over the phone Please. 

They wanted to go to 5 supercenters here in MI.  So far we have put a hold on that. 

39 minutes ago, cobraman said:

When will we have the pleasure of your company ? :D

I have the place. It's just waiting for me to finish up my obligations here, and then get moved. Thought I'd be gone by now, but two jobs have spiraled into WAY more than I was contracted to do, and I figure if these folks want to pay me, I may as well stick it out.