Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Drove on it this morning. Had to go to Hospital on 7 th for a test. Took it back to my exit at 67 th. Got home save. Traffic did seem light. School buses all rerouted and do not take the 10 until this problem is solved. Side streets backed up due to increased traffic from those avoiding the 10.

I agree I can only imagine the people who must Drive on that section of the road to go about their Daily Lives and the thoughts and Fear that they go thru has for me and sure for a lot of others they take a alternative route 

This person or persons will get caught I only hope before there is any Blood Shed 

You all Be Careful out There ?

After returning home from my inspection for Eastern Star, the chili I made for the pot-luck dinner we had ended up on the floor mat in the kitchen, and the crock-pot containing it broken into several very big pieces. And a new stoneware insert is as much as the cheapie crock-pot I totaled. 

Oh well, off to the store for another one. 

Charlie Larkin

After returning home from my inspection for Eastern Star, the chili I made for the pot-luck dinner we had ended up on the floor mat in the kitchen, and the crock-pot containing it broken into several very big pieces. And a new stoneware insert is as much as the cheapie crock-pot I totaled. 

Charlie Larkin

Wow Total Bummer ? Hope you at least had a Good Time ?

Charlie Larkin

Try a "Good Will" type store. ;)

The line leading to the toilet in an upstairs hall bathroom let go in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Water flooded into the bathroom for hours before it woke me up at 3:30. The carpet was already wet on our outside of the bedroom door. I got the water shut off but the damage was substantial. The hall carpet (5 years old) was soaked. The water leaked through to the garage. Part of my bench got flooded. A lot of model magazines got soaked including some prized ones with pictures of my models.

The garage ceiling was so wet that I poked a screwdriver through the sheet rock to let the accumulated water pour out like a drain. We used every towel in the house to soak the water out of the carpet and it was still wet. We ran a fan on the floor all night. The next morning we bought a shop vac to suck up as much as we could. I was still wet and it started to smell. We called a flood repair place. They came in like the calvary. Three cars. They used a stick device to find how far the the water actually spread. Two bedrooms. Two bathrooms. Walls, Garage ceiling, Even some cabinets got wet.

We called our insurance company and they said to start the repairs. In one hour all the carpet was up. They are coming back to pack up some of our stuff. It's a huge mess right now. 

The line leading to the toilet in an upstairs hall bathroom let go in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Water flooded into the bathroom for hours before it woke me up at 3:30. The carpet was already wet on our outside of the bedroom door. I got the water shut off but the damage was substantial. The hall carpet (5 years old) was soaked. The water leaked through to the garage. Part of my bench got flooded. A lot of model magazines got soaked including some prized ones with pictures of my models.

The garage ceiling was so wet that I poked a screwdriver through the sheet rock to let the accumulated water pour out like a drain. We used every towel in the house to soak the water out of the carpet and it was still wet. We ran a fan on the floor all night. The next morning we bought a shop vac to suck up as much as we could. I was still wet and it started to smell. We called a flood repair place. They came in like the calvary. Three cars. They used a stick device to find how far the the water actually spread. Two bedrooms. Two bathrooms. Walls, Garage ceiling, Even some cabinets got wet.

We called our insurance company and they said to start the repairs. In one hour all the carpet was up. They are coming back to pack up some of our stuff. It's a huge mess right now. 

Sorry to hear that Scott, as that must have been quite a mess. I hope things work out for you. I remember when our water heater let go, but the mess was in our laundry room with a concrete floor under the carpeting so we were lucky there.

I managed to get my birthday off today, so I went to fill the 200 up and then take it to the shop I had the new tires put on at for a rotation (which will just be the front and back tires on each side swapping ends with each other), then will hit Buona Beef for a birthday sandwich (free with customer card :D )

On my way to the gas station, I go to go around an old GMC TopKick flat bed with a fairly young tree laying on it on a 4 lane road.  I was speeding, but not by a dangerous amount over (they could easily raise the limit 5-10mph safely). As I go to pass that truck on the left, it cuts me off and I just stayed behind it since going around on the right wasn't going to be worth it at that point. As we continue on, the road cut down to two lanes and residential, then the driver starts dropping below the limit (a sensible 30mph limit).  Not knowing why, I just hung back and let him do what ever. We got to the corner the station was on and both happened to pull in to the property and he stopped cold in a random spot before we got to the pumps. I sat behind him for a few moments before pulling to the  wrong side of the e85 pump (whole thing must have had me flustered?!).  Next thing I know, he has his window down a few inches and is screaming at me  from across the lot, then loops around the pumps and leaves?!

I managed to get my birthday off today, so I went to fill the 200 up and then take it to the shop I had the new tires put on at for a rotation (which will just be the front and back tires on each side swapping ends with each other), then will hit Buona Beef for a birthday sandwich (free with customer card :D )

On my way to the gas station, I go to go around an old GMC TopKick flat bed with a fairly young tree laying on it on a 4 lane road.  I was speeding, but not by a dangerous amount over (they could easily raise the limit 5-10mph safely). As I go to pass that truck on the left, it cuts me off and I just stayed behind it since going around on the right wasn't going to be worth it at that point. As we continue on, the road cut down to two lanes and residential, then the driver starts dropping below the limit (a sensible 30mph limit).  Not knowing why, I just hung back and let him do what ever. We got to the corner the station was on and both happened to pull in to the property and he stopped cold in a random spot before we got to the pumps. I sat behind him for a few moments before pulling to the  wrong side of the e85 pump (whole thing must have had me flustered?!).  Next thing I know, he has his window down a few inches and is screaming at me  from across the lot, then loops around the pumps and leaves?!

Guess you "ticked" him off Joe, no?

Wow Total Bummer ? Hope you at least had a Good Time ?

The inspections are torture. Dinner usually makes up for it because it's two hours and we can relax. During the inspection, I can take a nap- I'm the Treasurer and nobody cares about me! :) 

Small solace, the chili was well-received and it's a recipe I created and actually bothered to write down, so it's repeatable. 

Charlie Larkin

eBay snipers. 

Some rumpswab pushed me out on a MIB 1960 Corvair by $2.50, just as I was going to add another few bucks' padding. 

I'd be happy with a restorable built one, too, but I was looking forward to the prospect of not ungluing all sorts of stuff; all the promos on there at the moment are a mess, and I don't want to to deal with the warping.

If someone were to cast a '60 in resin, I'd be a happy camper. Might actually save a few bucks, too.

This followed my monthly AGBU meeting that became a disaster from the moment it started- all the women...well, let's just say they behaved like their "functions" lined up and went after me and the other guy all night, stoked by one of them having boyfriend problems. Oy....

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

eBay snipers. 

Some rumpswab pushed me out on a MIB 1960 Corvair by $2.50, just as I was going to add another few bucks' padding. 

Charlie, I think you'll find that these days, playing the sniper game yourself is the only way to get a shot at some of the more desirable things on ebay. I was an early-adopter of the strategy and pretty soon wondered how anybody could seriously think they'd win the bidding on something cool if they weren't in at the end. Bidding early and hoping for the best only drives the prices up.

I DON'T use sniper software, 'cause I kinda feel like it's hunting sheep with a minigun. If I REALLY want something, I'll do the last-few-seconds manual bid with the maximum I'm willing to pay...even if it's the middle of the night...and let the cards fall.

My win/loss ratio is still pretty good, and I figure if somebody is willing to pay a lot more than I am, he can have it.

LOVE the "rumpswab" term too. Never heard it before...it's sure to become one of my top-ten words.B)

I loose out on a lot of auctions. Maybe I should revise my strategy. When I see something I like I just look at the shipping cost and factor that into what I am willing to pay. I then bid the top price I am willing to pay and then let the auction go where it wants. Missed out on a Johan 72 Torino snap but not willing to spend the 50 + shipping price it went for.

Charlie, I think you'll find that these days, playing the sniper game yourself is the only way to get a shot at some of the more desirable things on ebay. I was an early-adopter of the strategy and pretty soon wondered how anybody could seriously think they'd win the bidding on something cool if they weren't in at the end. Bidding early and hoping for the best only drives the prices up.

I DON'T use sniper software, 'cause I kinda feel like it's hunting sheep with a minigun. If I REALLY want something, I'll do the last-few-seconds manual bid with the maximum I'm willing to pay...even if it's the middle of the night...and let the cards fall.

My win/loss ratio is still pretty good, and I figure if somebody is willing to pay a lot more than I am, he can have it.

LOVE the "rumpswab" term too. Never heard it before...it's sure to become one of my top-ten words.B)

Unfortunatey, I can't take credit for "rumpswab," as it was originated by local radio host Howie Carr, with the full radio trailer being "Rumpswabs, moonbats and hacks, beware! Howie Carr is on the air!" Very Boston/Massachusetts-focused political and current events talk, usually, but he occasionally has on an interesting author or other individual. Does a pretty good job getting presidential candidates, too. WRKO does broadcast online if you want to check it out.

I'm right there with you on the sniper thing, but at the same time, I keep wondering if it really is the better way to go, but that thrill of getting what you want is only excelled by watching some sneak outbid you with no time to react.

Charlie Larkin

Bidding in the last few seconds has been my standard approach for over a decade, usually works.  Esp.. with today's fast internet and the eBay app on my phone, I can place a bid from anywhere, anytime.   Though most of what I buy on eBay in the last year or so has been buy it now items, so it's not an issue. 

I never bid directly on eBay,  I use a sniping service.  My bids are posted 6 seconds before the auction ends. Nobody sees me coming, nobody has time to react.   I use the snipe service because I have better things to do than sit there at 3am waiting for an auction to end. 

If someone has bid more than me, oh well. There will always be another one.  And you are aware of that if you have a search posted. eBay sends you emails whenever a new one appears.