Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Thanks, Mike.  I got most of it cleaned up already - by following your lead and Bill's.  

I'm still working on a bigger bug-a-boo:  KNCTR.  Malware says it has to be 'not running' to eliminate it, but it is running constantly, so the malware won't work.  Catch-22.  

Thanks, Mike.  I got most of it cleaned up already - by following your lead and Bill's.  

I'm still working on a bigger bug-a-boo:  KNCTR.  Malware says it has to be 'not running' to eliminate it, but it is running constantly, so the malware won't work.  Catch-22.  

Does your software have an option to run a boot-time scan (scanning during a system start-up)?  Take a look in the options in Malwarebytes.  If you can do that, it may be able to deal with the infected program before it starts up in Windows.  Only do it when you have time to let the scan run, windows won't start until the scan is done.

Edited by Danny Lectro
Edited for clarity.

sounds like you may have been infected by a "root kit", malwarebytes has a root kit remover also... mbar.exe is the installer, you should be able to get it from the "More Tools" tab of the Malwarebytes application.

if that doesn't take care of the problem I suggest Rogue Killer as the next course of action, it's what I had to use when malwarebytes was insufficient to remove a stubborn problem.

Here's some more info on getting rid of KNCTR and exactly what it is.

I can't vouch for the efficacy of any of these operations, as I haven't personally had to use them yet.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/knctr-virus-remova

you better watch out with that ad blocker stuff. most of it is Trojan horse based and soon your system will be at its knees. if you paid for it its probably ok but freeware like that is crawling with viri that you just invited home with you. often you will get a ransom note via email offering to "sell"  you a key that will remove it. that is generally virus loaded as well. its a jungle out there.

jb

you better watch out with that ad blocker stuff. most of it is Trojan horse based and soon your system will be at its knees. if you paid for it its probably ok but freeware like that is crawling with viri that you just invited home with you. often you will get a ransom note via email offering to "sell"  you a key that will remove it. that is generally virus loaded as well. its a jungle out there.

jb

Just FYI, the Adblock Plus in question is an extension available directly from the Google Chrome web store for Google Chrome (and Firefox). I've been running it for a year and if anything, my system is considerably faster, because I'm not having resources hijacked to run all the idiot ad videos, animations and popups.

While it's true that many free products are hiding trojans and other carp, it's not the case here.

It is one of the most popular and highly recommended add-ons out there.

But if you get it, DO make sure to get it directly from the Google site or adblockplus.org...not another provider or mirror...to make as certain as possible it's not bundled with bogus carp.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

That idiot dentist who thought that killing a lion, any lion, was acceptable, let alone one that was a local celebrity.

steve 

The people trying to make that out to nearly be on par with a war crime.........I actually find myself agreeing with Father Phlaiger (sp?) here.

That idiot dentist who thought that killing a lion, any lion, was acceptable, let alone one that was a local celebrity.

steve 

I agree with you that "trophy hunting" is despicable. There is no justification for it, IMO.

But I have to give the dentist the benefit of the doubt here. He paid for a hunting license, he paid for two "professional" Zimbabwean guides. Those two are the ones who should have known better than to lure Cecil away from protected land and out into the open. I don't think the dentist had any idea that he was hunting a tagged, protected lion.

Trophy hunting? Bad. But legal. However, luring Cecil out of a protected area was definitely wrong. The real bad guys here are the Zimbabwean guides, IMO.

steve 

I agree with you that "trophy hunting" is despicable. There is no justification for it, IMO.

But I have to give the dentist the benefit of the doubt here. He paid for a hunting license, he paid for two "professional" Zimbabwean guides. Those two are the ones who should have known better than to lure Cecil away from protected land and out into the open. I don't think the dentist had any idea that he was hunting a tagged, protected lion.

Trophy hunting? Bad. But legal. However, luring Cecil out of a protected area was definitely wrong. The real bad guys here are the Zimbabwean guides, IMO.   

Edited by XJ6

I would rather see twenty humans die than one lion. call me a sociopath, but that's the reality of todays world. and that dentist was not an innocent bystander. he is an idiot who thinks shooting animals with a bow and arrow is heroic even when it takes forty hours to track and finally kill his target...with a rifle. he is an excellent candidate for being on the receiving end of a similar hunt. you line him up and I will shoot the arrow. those guides were doing the little they can to make a living, that jerkoff was paying a fortune for the privilege of slaying an innocent animal, one of few left in the world. blaming the guides is just scapegoating, the dentist knew and encouraged them to do what they did so he could get his blood trophy. screw him.

and now evidently the lions brothers and sisters are either dead or in danger of being killed. someones got to pay and I don't mean mere money.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

I would rather see twenty humans die than one lion. call me a sociopath, but that's the reality of todays world. and that dentist was not an innocent bystander. he is an idiot who thinks shooting animals with a bow and arrow is heroic even when it takes forty hours to track and finally kill his target...with a rifle. he is an excellent candidate for being on the receiving end of a similar hunt. you line him up and I will shoot the arrow. those guides were doing the little they can to make a living, that jerkoff was paying a fortune for the privilege of slaying an innocent animal, one of few left in the world. blaming the guides is just scapegoating, the dentist knew and encouraged them to do what they did so he could get his blood trophy. screw him.

and now evidently the lions brothers and sisters are either dead or in danger of being killed. someones got to pay and I don't mean mere money.

jb

Okay.  You're a sociopath.   B)

Well, the thing I learned about this whole Cecil the Lion situation is that I should have gone to dental school! If the good Dr. was able to pay $50,000 for a license and probably another $5-10,000 in expenses to go to Africa to hunt, then obviously he is doing pretty good filling cavities!

While the killing of a Lion is newsworthy, I do find it interesting what some networks are doing as far as coverage on all events of the past couple of days.

While the lion thing has everyone all hot and bothered, how many of you are aware that the Chinese trade in poached black-market body parts of endangered species for their medicine, and that the recent trend is hoarding of tiger and other animal parts as "investments" ?

Story here...and this is nothing new...   http://www.takepart.com/feature/2015/03/24/china-endangered-species-banking-extinction-poaching-elephants-tigers-rhinos

that jerkoff was paying a fortune for the privilege of slaying an innocent animal, one of few left in the world. blaming the guides is just scapegoating, the dentist knew and encouraged them to do what they did

jb

Ok, I'm going to throw an actual fact at you vs. gut reaction. Ready? Lions are not on the endangered species list. Now I'm not saying that makes hunting them ok. Just want you to know the facts before you spout off.

Just curious as to how you are so sure of your "facts" when everyone else doesn't know all the details.

Seriously, man... you need to learn all the facts before you go bloviating. You don't know whether or not the dentist knew about Cecil. You don't know whether or not it was the guides who lured Cecil into open territory. YOU DON'T KNOW. You're just spouting off without having all the facts of the incident. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't you think it would be better to know the facts before indicting the dentist? Or do facts not matter in your world?

I don't have any facts. My opinion on the lion deal is this. I don't think it was right. What he did, I would consider poaching. It is not hunting when you have guide, that lures the animal into the open, where ever it may be. There is no challenge in that. IF this dentist did it just for the pelt and head mount, that is utterly wrong. I grew in a family that hunted, still have close family and family friends that do hunt. We ate what was shot. One family member hasn't bought meat from the grocery store for almost 30 years. Doing what this guy "supposedly" did is wrong on many levels. This is a guy, I feel shouldn't be allowed to own a gun, use a gun or be able to do this act. Now, no facts, only my opinion.