Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC/AMT '69 Barracuda?

Jantrix

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Here's the instruction sheet from the original MPC 1969 issue: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1008/mpc-1969-barracuda

The Slant Six engine parts are long gone, though: 

MPC1969Barracuda1.jpg

This image lends credence to the presence of the Dual-Gate console / shifter in the ad seq. reissues (including the most-recent issue) . It's too bad that the Slant and the B-engine --- with the 727 TorqueFlite --- tooling is AWOL . 

Well , at least the recent issue includes the crossram , normal  , period-correct wheels ( 6 lug truck wheels indeed ! ) , and other goodies . But , still begs the question : what-ever became of the tooling / gate for the original big block and Slant , and latter's separately-moulded T-Flite ?

20 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

But, still begs the question : what-ever became of the tooling / gate for the original big block and Slant , and latter's separately-moulded T-Flite ?

I think some of those questions might've been addressed in this topic?

On 2/1/2019 at 9:34 AM, Snake45 said:

BTW, I'm still looking for a stock hood for this kit molded in ORANGE, if anyone has one. 

I don't have an orange hood,  but on the subject of hoods, the 73-76 Dodge Darts used the 69 Barracuda hood, along with 67-69 Dart front fenders. And just like on the real cars, the MPC Dart and Barracuda hoods interchange pretty nicely. 

I wish they still could do the 68 as it's the only year it's classified with the 426 Hemi for Super Stock, none of the 67 or 69's are so if you want to do a correct Super Stock Hemi Barracuda it has to be a 68.
It's the same with the Dart but Revell has that covered for us...it's maybe about time someone did a new 68 Barracuda.

8 hours ago, Force said:

I wish they still could do the 68 as it's the only year it's classified with the 426 Hemi for Super Stock, none of the 67 or 69's are so if you want to do a correct Super Stock Hemi Barracuda it has to be a 68.
It's the same with the Dart but Revell has that covered for us...it's maybe about time someone did a new 68 Barracuda.

How about a "1969" A/MP or S/SE ?

3 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Yeah, I'm planning to do one as S&M's with '69 sheet metal on it. There's a few photos of it that way in the S&M book. 

There was a lot of "run whatcha brung" going on in 1969--the "gestation period" of Pro Stock. VERY fascinating era of drag racing I'm hoping to get heavily into soon. 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, Snake45 said:

BTW, I'm still looking for a stock hood for this kit molded in ORANGE, if anyone has one. 

I have the hood in orange, but it has a tire burn on the top side. Let me know if you're still interested.

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I was talking about Super Stock and the Hemi Barracuda and Dart was classed B at first, later changed to A and now AH, all have 1968 sheet metal.
So if I want to build one of those it has to be a 68 as there are no 69's with Hemi in Super Stock.

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

I have the hood in orange, but it has a tire burn on the top side. Let me know if you're still interested.

I'm wanting to do one one in polished orange plastic, so it sounds like that wouldn't work for me. I do appreciate the offer, though. B)

1 hour ago, magicmustang said:

Pic from Sox & Martin Memorial. Show's '67, '68, '69, '70, '71, '72, and '73 Plymouths. All Hemi's?

Sox & Martin memorial.jpg

The fourth car back in this line looks like the hemi '69 Barracuda in the Sox book. Of course this wasn't NHRA SS/B legal, but they ran it in A/MP and match races. 

13 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Pic from Sox & Martin Memorial. Show's '67, '68, '69, '70, '71, '72, and '73 Plymouths. All Hemi's?

Sox & Martin memorial.jpg

I say it again, the only year a 426 Hemi is classified and legal in the A-body Barracuda for the Super Stock class is 1968, the factory did not build any 67's or 69's with Hemis and they can't be classified in the class as the engine in the car must be available from the factory the specific year the body is made or supposed to be for it to be legal.
Chrysler hired Hurst to build the B029 Hemi Barracudas together with the L023 68 Hemi Darts intended for drag racing, all started with Hamtramck, Michigan factory built 1968 bodys and was modified by Hurst, this according to the Maximum Performance book.
Any other year A-body Barracudas with 426 Hemis were either built by the racers themselves or are maybe 68's with 69 sheetmetal, front and tail lights so they were supposed to be 69's...they are not legal for Super Stock competition but can of course run in other classes.
Today there are only 1968 Barracudas and Darts in the SS/AH class, all of them were not original Hemi cars from the beginning and that's not required, but they are built like them and as the 426 Hemi was available that year in those bodys they are correct for the class, so you can take a 6 cylinder or small block 1968 Barracuda Fastback or Dart, put a 426 Hemi in it and it's legal in Super Stock if it meets everything else required for the class.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Force said:

I say it again, the only year a 426 Hemi is classified and legal in the A-body Barracuda for the Super Stock class is 1968, the factory did not build any 67's or 69's with Hemis and they can't be classified in the class as the engine in the car must be available from the factory the specific year the body is made or supposed to be for it to be legal.
Chrysler hired Hurst to build the B029 Hemi Barracudas together with the L023 68 Hemi Darts intended for drag racing, all started with Hamtramck, Michigan factory built 1968 bodys and was modified by Hurst, this according to the Maximum Performance book.
Any other year A-body Barracudas with 426 Hemis were either built by the racers themselves or are maybe 68's with 69 sheetmetal, front and tail lights so they were supposed to be 69's...they are not legal for Super Stock competition but can of course run in other classes.
Today there are only 1968 Barracudas and Darts in the SS/AH class, all of them were not original Hemi cars from the beginning and that's not required, but they are built like them and as the 426 Hemi was available that year in those bodys they are correct for the class, so you can take a 6 cylinder or small block 1968 Barracuda Fastback or Dart, put a 426 Hemi in it and it's legal in Super Stock if it meets everything else required for the class.

Force, you're not listening to what we're saying. 

No one is arguing that Hemis were/are NHRA-legal for Super Stock for 1968 only. But NHRA Super Stock was not the only game in town in 1969. There was the NASCAR drag circuit, and there was UDRA, which had something called Ultra Stock, and there was AHRA Super Stock/Experimental, all of which had rules very similar to what evolved into NHRA Pro Stock, and then there was the match race circuit which was whatever the racers themselves agreed to. And even in NHRA, cars that weren't quite Super Stock legal still competed in A/MP or B/Gas. In fact, I've got photos of Sox's Cuda, Jenkins' Camaro, and Landy's Dart all running as A/MP or B/Gas in 1969.  If my scanner were working, I'd be glad to post a couple pics of S&M's hemi Cuda with '69 sheet metal on it. 

Edited by Snake45
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Force, you're not listening to what we're saying. 

No one is arguing that Hemis were/are NHRA-legal for Super Stock for 1968 only. But NHRA Super Stock was not the only game in town in 1969. There was the NASCAR drag circuit, and there was UDRA, which had something called Ultra Stock, and there was AHRA Super Stock/Experimental, all of which had rules very similar to what evolved into NHRA Pro Stock, and then there was the match race circuit which was whatever the racers themselves agreed to. And even in NHRA, cars that weren't quite Super Stock legal still competed in A/MP or B/Gas. In fact, I've got photos of Sox's Cuda, Jenkins' Camaro, and Landy's Dart all running as A/MP or B/Gas in 1969.  If my scanner were working, I'd be glad to post a couple pics of S&M's hemi Cuda with '69 sheet metal on it. 

Yes I do listen... but my original post in this topic was "I wish they still could do the 68 as it's the only year it's classified with the 426 Hemi for Super Stock".
That post was quoted and a replied to by 1972coronet and I answered,  magicmustang quoted part of my answer to 1972coronet and replied with the picture and I answered back, I must have the right to answer these replies don't I.
If anyone mean to talk about something other than what what my posts was about, please don't quote my posts then...I take a quote of my posts as a reply to my posts and not to the topic in general.
No need to scan anything from the Sox & Martin book, I allready have it, Sox & Martin raced a lot of cars with Hemis and other engines in several classes and sanctioning bodys, they raced one of their 69 Barracudas in Pro Stock, that I do know.

Lets move on.

6 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Agree with both Force and Snake, the original question of this tread was what can be done with this kit? It does come with a Hemi for custom or race options but it does need help. 

Yes some of the MPC and AMT issues has the Hemi but not all.

Edited by Force

• 3 years later...

To add to an old thread....something interesting I found on '69 Cuda test shot; a '67-68-style front grille surround.

Test shots sometimes include a few odds & ends that can be traced to some long-lost variation of a kit that aren't included in current production kits, but this is a head-scratcher.  This piece is molded as part of the body shell in every '67-69 kit I've seen.  

cuda 002.JPG

• Like 1

The AMT '67 had that lower grille surround molded as a separate piece.  When the tool somehow went "across town" to MPC, they changed the body to incorporate that piece.  I'm pretty sure the "one piece" body has gaps at the lower outside corners of the grille openings, probably to enable the removal of the molded body from the mold core.

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

The AMT '67 had that lower grille surround molded as a separate piece.  When the tool somehow went "across town" to MPC, they changed the body to incorporate that piece.  I'm pretty sure the "one piece" body has gaps at the lower outside corners of the grille openings, probably to enable the removal of the molded body from the mold core.

Thanks, Mark.

I'm obviously getting old....I built a '67 back in the late 80's and don't remember having to install that piece.  I did a good job though....looking at it now I don't see any seams.

• 1 year later...