Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1961 Pontiac news

A few pictures of the test shot are in my NNL Nats photo album (see the Contests and Shows section of this Forum).

It looked pretty good in person - no visual suggestion of rear quarters being too long.

Dave is working on other tweaks to improve the body.

I have to say, based on how many first tooling shots look, this one is several steps ahead of the norm at this stage of development..... TIM

Edited by tim boyd

A few pictures of the test shot are in my NNL Nats photo album (see the Contests and Shows section of this Forum).

It looked pretty good in person - no visual suggestion of rear quarters being too long.

Dave is working on other tweaks to improve the body.

I have to say, based on how many first tooling shots look, this one is several steps ahead of the norm at this stage of development..... TIM

I also got a chance to closely examine the 61 Pontiac test shot at the NNL and I share Tim's opinion of it.

I would like to add that I was able to confirm what I suspected and that the rear suspension was miss-aligned during assembly which Dave didn't catch but is aware of now. The front suspension also appeared to me to be slightly off square to my eyes but I wasn't able to pinpoint a cause.

I can say from the dozen or so early test shots I've built over last ten years the goal is to make sure all the parts fit, not to build a perfect display model.

- Steve

For whatever it's worth - regarding fin spacing on 61 Pontiac 8 lug wheeels - the fins are not equally spaced - if you get a good straight on shot of the wheel and draw lines thru the wheel at centers of the 16 fins you get 16 wedges - the angles between the 16 lines @ the wheel center - alternates between 21 degrees and 24 degrees - so you have slightly wider spacing of the fins on either side of each lug. Amazing what you can figure out with a pencil, a ruler and a protractor! (8 x 21 degrees plus 8x24 degrees =360 degrees..)

At least I know what to tell the factory now!

I hope the windshield shape is able to be fixed.I saw the model at Sylvania and that's the first thing that hit me.It's too round from side to side and top to bottom,making the roof seem too much like a custom bubble top.I mentioned it to Dave and he knew of it and was hoping the tooling could be corrected.Fingers are crossed for that to happen.

BTW,I took a (too) quick glance at the engine compartment and I believe the model is of a car with manual steering.

I just got a chance to read through the last few pages of this topic. Looks like this is gonna be a pretty cool kit. The release should be just in time for the finish of my '60 Bonneville.

Oh, and my wife says they're toys. So, they're toys. :)

PB.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to add some positive to this thread, good job moebius and Dave! The amount of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH you took in this thread is redicoulous! You guys did an amazing job on the pair of Internationals and can't wait to get the f100's! The wheels when black washed and detailed will look amazing, and by you guys making them multiple peice will make it alot easier to do so. People are forgetting the money they wasted on some older amt kits, and the horrible monogram 1/24 stuff in the 80's. I don't even care for Pontiacs but will be buying one of these.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Here are a few shots of my build-up of the Ventura second test shot. We've made some minor revisions to the body - mainly to bottom edge of side windows and bottom of backlight. Also reshaped windshield and revised the 8 lug wheels too. Production kit will have white wall tires

Waiting for third and, I hope, last test shots - expecting to have them in hand in about 2 weeks - Box and instruction sheets are in process now..

Hope to be in production before end of May with kits on the way in June

This 99.44% the finished product. Only visible changes from this will be pollished window glass, addition of texture to headlight lenses and addition of whitewalls to tires.

067-L.jpg066-L.jpg074-L.jpg94-L.jpg

Edited by Dave Metzner