Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

I think he should expand this empire of his. On even days, strum a banjo in front of the liquor store, and work a squeegee on odd days. Seriously though, he may have got the big bucks for a couple of the original kits on E-Pay, he had stashed, & this is what started this frenzy of his.But, at some point,  if he would stop & think of how much time he's wasted with this whole kooky scheme; it probably works out to .... oh, about  ZERO overall. He continues to self destruct; obsessed by stupidity. If he actual had a real passion for the Kustom car world; then he should have stayed in it. It amazes me,  that he has shut his mind to the truth, that was FORTY YEARS AGO !!!  . As I stated before, the part of this whole thing that fasinates me, is how people could ever believe that he was responsible ( A 17 year old kid )  for the planning, construction, engineering, finishing & gather parts for the  UT 100%; from start to finish by himself .... now THAT - is just plain silly. I would have prefered he just faded away gracefully.      

...the part of this whole thing that fasinates me, is how people could ever believe that he was responsible ( A 17 year old kid )  for the planning, construction, engineering, finishing & gather parts for the  UT 100%; from start to finish by himself ....

I also find that hard to believe.

And on his website he states that he built an addition onto the family garage to work in. A 17-year old kid builds an addition to the garage? By himself? And his parents approve?

Building a car like that isn't cheap. Where does a 17-year old kid come up with the kind of cash needed to do it? Working at McDonald's isn't going to fund a project like that...

This car always made me feel nauseous. T buckets were never my thing but the Uncertain T was just plain ugly and as disproportionate as a car could be built.

I see nothing "innovative for it's time" about that car. And it was "Highly awarded" at the time in the same class as the Ala Kart. None are designs that could stand the test of time. None will be bought and sold at news making prices. One off customs can be cool but they have a shelf life, just like the pink pro street craze of the 90's.

He can't remember what he did with the original rear wheels and tires or if he or someone else had the car repainted in a color he didn't like... I don't buy his story at all.  I know a person that lives in a fantasy world and talks exactly the way he does. Of his entire story the only part I believe is that he designed the car and mocked up the chassis and scrounged for some parts, otherwise someone else built it and it cost him $15,000 then in 1967 he found out that nobody would pay $7000 for it. I just wonder if it even still exists in it's original form or if that hideous body was replaced with something nicer. 

He won't come out and say whether he sold, gave or loaned the car to his friend. But has threatened to sue the friend to get the car. I'm also starting to wonder if he's the reason the kit was given the ax. How common was it for Monogram to scrap tooling? I know of a few kits that haven't been released in decades but I've never heard of them being scrapped

I do wish him luck but if he can't afford to move to the main land then there is no way he'll pull of injection molding this kit from scratch in house, let alone building any type of 1:1 hot rod of any decent quality butt ugly or not.

This car always made me feel nauseous. T buckets were never my thing but the Uncertain T was just plain ugly and as disproportionate as a car could be built.

I see nothing "innovative for it's time" about that car. And it was "Highly awarded" at the time in the same class as the Ala Kart. None are designs that could stand the test of time. None will be bought and sold at news making prices. One off customs can be cool but they have a shelf life, just like the pink pro street craze of the 90's.

He can't remember what he did with the original rear wheels and tires or if he or someone else had the car repainted in a color he didn't like... I don't buy his story at all.  I know a person that lives in a fantasy world and talks exactly the way he does. Of his entire story the only part I believe is that he designed the car and mocked up the chassis and scrounged for some parts, otherwise someone else built it and it cost him $15,000 then in 1967 he found out that nobody would pay $7000 for it. I just wonder if it even still exists in it's original form or if that hideous body was replaced with something nicer. 

He won't come out and say whether he sold, gave or loaned the car to his friend. But has threatened to sue the friend to get the car. I'm also starting to wonder if he's the reason the kit was given the ax. How common was it for Monogram to scrap tooling? I know of a few kits that haven't been released in decades but I've never heard of them being scrapped

I do wish him luck but if he can't afford to move to the main land then there is no way he'll pull of injection molding this kit from scratch in house, let alone building any type of 1:1 hot rod of any decent quality butt ugly or not.

Actually ,in a sick / twisted way; this is a sort of interesting tale. The part I've always wondered about; is why no one has come forward with any new info; regarding the UT; I mean someone, somewhere; must know more than just the same old slop being regurgitated from Scott .:unsure:    

For those who "missed the boat" to the mainland ( or Fantasy Island ) ..... on our first offering of signed UT kits; don't sweat it !! ..... Jump on board the SS Express !!! - If you leap on this deal within 20 minutes; here's what you'll receive .......... One signed ultra rare exclusive exotic pseudo edition   UT in a Sack; BUT WAIT .... That ain't all !!!! .................. Here, at SS Ltd; we're bending over to please (  - way, WAY Over :rolleyes: ) ........ You'll also be getting  one pair of Steve's own Hand Knitted Hawaiian Socks, in a can  :o ( Mmm, ya can almost smell the ocean :huh: ) - BUT WAIT Right there, to temp those still ........ "uncertain" :huh: ..... to clench this nutty package or not.......  just for you,  we're also tossing in this musical masterpiece ; yes ........... it's none other than .........  Steve's debut album  ( recorded on 8 track ) ........Yes,  SCOTT SINGS DON HO !!!! B)  

Edited by Krazy Rick

For those who "missed the boat" to the mainland ( or Fantasy Island ) ..... on our first offering of signed UT kits; don't sweat it !! ..... Jump on board the SS Express !!! - If you leap on this deal within 20 minutes; here's what you'll receive .......... One signed ultra rare exclusive exotic pseudo edition   UT in a Sack; BUT WAIT .... That ain't all !!!! .................. Here, at SS Ltd; we're bending over to please (  - way, WAY Over :rolleyes: ) ........ You'll also be getting  one pair of Steve's own Hand Knitted Hawaiian Socks, in a can  :o ( Mmm, ya can almost smell the ocean :huh: ) - BUT WAIT Right there, to temp those still ........ "uncertain" :huh: ..... to clench this nutty package or not.......  just for you,  we're also tossing in this musical masterpiece ; yes ........... it's none other than .........  Steve's debut album  ( recorded on 8 track ) ........Yes,  SCOTT SINGS DON HO !!!! B)  

How much? I really want the socks and the 8-track! UT in a sack doesn't interest me until I know what kind of sack.

Edited by unclescott58

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Scott is an absolute flake for sure and full of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH about pretty much anything he talks about, but I totally disagree with this statement Krazy Rick. The Uncertain T did have some interesting and innovative ideas for its time, and car like the Ala Carte, and other kustoms from the day do sell for huge amounts of money today (look at Orbitron)... they are like fine art now, as they should be.... and the same will be said for those pro street cars in another 20 to 30 years... think of a car like Rick Dobbertons J2000.. it set trends, it had kits, had a zillion magazine covers, and is now forgotten for the time.. but sooner or later everthing comes back around and cars like that will be highly collectible one day....

It is too bad that Mr. Scott did not stay "lost" because all he has done with his return is tarnish the uncertain T myth and history... I suspect in the very near future, when folks start wanting their money back on kits that will never be produced, he will become lost again. 

Guys, the uncertain T is a goner, so are the tools for the model or it would have been reissued years ago.

Steve Scott is an unfortunate guy who has had but one success in his life (apparently) , the Uncertain T.

Sadly, he can't let go and lives in a fantasy world.

But WHY belabor the point. Scott is a human being, why pile on a man with obvious psychological problems? What is to be gained?

This is one of the things i HATE about the internet, the mindless hatred towards people.

Just as Scott would be wise to let it go, I think posters here would be as well.

Edited by GaryR

He's been posting on his facebook page about an unbuilt kit that went for over $300 on ebay and letting the folks know he is going to raise prices. He has a contest to design a display base too.

Edited by Draggon

The problem is that he is taking deposits for kits that will never be produced. There will be a lot of people that will never get their kit or their money back.

If he was really serious about this project he would have a realistic plan, instead he is going to make his own molds, build his own injection molding machine, print his own box, etc. , big dreams is all they are.

The demographic of people that even remember or care about this car is very very small.

Edited by Modelman37

There's a lot of reasonable thoughts and unfortunately a lot of venom in this thread. I agree with Gary R that this thread should be left to die. 

I think most of us can be charitable and say Steve Scott is being a bit unrealistic in his place in hot rodding history. He had one magnificent show car unlike the multiple cars of Barris or Roth. If he'd followed it up with other noteworthy cars, he might be justified in placing himself on a self promoting pedestal like Barris. Instead he had one noteworthy car that was made into a noteworthy model. Its sorta like the race driver who won one race fifty years ago (yes it was fifty years ago) who expects to be recognized and honored for that one win. 

There are a couple of questions left unanswered. What happen to the Uncertain T and why has the kit never been reissued?

• I suspect like many race cars and show cars of the 60's and 70's, after its show days it fell into disrepair and slowly got stripped of parts. Exposed to the elements, I doubt it still exists in a recognizable form. If it does, whoever owns it, may be keeping it in hiding to avoid dealing with Mr. Scott. 
  • In that same vein, if the molds do still exist of if Monogram had any desire to reverse engineer it, they may believe that any profit would be meager after dealing with license and/or legal fees. 

I do agree that a good version could be scratch built fairly easily although some parts would be hard to acquire. Seems like a good project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guess I'm late to the party on here regarding "Mr. Scott."   I am on one aspect saddened by the situation of many being taking advantage of, Yes, I am one of them, only for one kit though, guess I'll deduct it as a Donation to his retirement fund? 

I've read his posts on his Facebook page, afterall, I am a FB Fanatic.   I've also come to the conclusion that the money is gone, and there is a probably disconnection from reality there.  

Since his pursuit is to connect with model car builders, I have had to remove him from our Facebook Pages "Model Car How To's, Model Car EVENTS, Model Car AFTERMARKET, and NNL East Facebook Friends."    We want to minimize the damage at this point.   Bottom line is not one piece of plastic has been developed or delivered. 

$45 to me is not really a big deal these days, I'll jus' go hoard another kit.

I sympathize with those who have lost money, those who also used to believe, or still currently believe in his ability to produce a totally new kit.   He would've been far better off aligning himself with an experienced Resin Caster like say Jimmy Flintstone.   Or trying to sell the project to Mobius, Meng, R2, Model King, et. al.   However, maybe he did, and they found him not quite in today's reality.

I'm selling some land in Florida currently being occupied by Pink Elephants in case anyone is interested, and Sasquatch was seen hanging out with Elvis.

Yours in the Sprue,
John