Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

My old laptop, that was a 12 year old hand me down from Dad, died just before Christmas so I started looking for a replacement, not planning on buying one for a while. Well, a while was a whole lot shorter than intended........brought this home from Sam's Club last night.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hewlett-hp-hd-notebook-amd-ryzen3-2200u-processor-8gb-webcam-audio/prod22302464.ip?xid=plp_product_1_6

I had planned to only buy some totes to put models in for storage while Dad and I were there, but that didn't work out quite like I had intended

On 12/30/2018 at 5:39 PM, crazyjim said:

Going to take it to AZ with you, Bill?

Yes, and one of the reasons I jumped on it was 'cause it's white. The blue '86 XJ is going with me too, but she'll get heavily hot-rodded, while the white one will only get Euro bumpers and lights, and be the pristine vintage going-out-to-dinner (etc.) car.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:11 PM, HomerS said:

1/24 Greenlight 'green machine' VW bus and tear drop trailer

IMG_2556.JPG

I have the "Lost" version of the bus. It's a really nice piece,  I have it sitting on my wall unit up next to my TV. I'm having a hard time not taking it apart!  I have evil ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

The oldest ford dealership in our area shut down last year and they auctioned of all of the stuff that was left over so I stocked up on random Ford parts and a bunch of other cool things. 

I got all three rims for $15

1BEBE7FA-13D8-43C8-9D96-357C6B810682.thumb.jpeg.3c8ab5ba55a05038d715e44f6cd9902d.jpeg

006B5AC7-5292-429C-8ECA-AA5FD28C4420.thumb.jpeg.e3b06fbe20803c77fee913cc01d606ea.jpeg

Brand new shocks go a Ford super duty for $5

AAE9D8FB-3C65-49E7-B107-58FFDF10093C.thumb.jpeg.3653eb3839c356e26c50f19f77b49a46.jpeg

Skyjaker steering stabilizer for a Ford super duty $5

692236F6-12E5-454C-BF8B-AF659909B9BD.thumb.jpeg.c990564df29ae2ea8b572608a996203d.jpeg

three boxes like this for $10 a pice

87230443-1A73-4566-AF67-859392F564B6.thumb.jpeg.a45e45fec4de424630442b2f5a97d820.jpeg 

And a bunch of other stuff. 

Edited by 426 pack

Blu-Ray. Yes! Still love this show. Mainly the first season. Great adventure. The later two mainly on nostalgia. The ones focusing on characters other than Dr. Smith are generally the best. Don't get me wrong, I like Jonathan Harris and his mainly early version of Dr. Smith. But, the stories focusing mainly on Dr. Smith, Will, and the robot together, got a little too silly and childish after awhile. Still I love this series. I was seven years old when this first hit the screens. And I wanted to be Will Robinson so bad. 

I may cringe as I watch certain episodes. But, in general, I'm looking forward to another great ride. 

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

I got to keep a client from being fcrewed. Her power steering (first year PT Cruiser) had started howling shortly after she put engine oil in it. I did a Q&D fluid change with old Mr. Turkey Baster, but the Chewbacca noise didn't go entirely away.

Those of you familiar with power steering know that howling is usually caused by air in the system somewhere, and it can usually be bled by turning the wheel lock to lock several times. Well sir, in this case, no luck. I know what the problem is. It's NOT a safety issue. So I told her to drive it and I'd get back to her in a few days.

In the meantime, one of her headlights went out, so she took it to the local chimp shop because she drives late at night, and I couldn't get to it. OK. A chimp ought to be able to change a bulb.

Next... chimp-boy (who says he's been a mechanic for 30 years and has worked on a lot of PT Cruisers) hears the steering talking, and offers to fix it for around $600. Replace the pump. With zero diagnosis, no test drive, nothing.

She calls me up saying she's going to let him do it because she knows how busy I am and doesn't want to add to my stress load. This is the same chick who got screwed out of $700 for totally unnecessary repairs just last year, that I ended up diagnosing correctly and fixing anyway.

So I get a little heated, thank her for thinking my time is important, but "don't you remember what happened LAST time you took your car to somebody else?" "Well yeah, but this guy is this and that and has been a tech for 30 years." Phffffft. I FINALLY talk her out of it.

OK. The damm car doesn't need a freaking pump. There's a screen in the reservoir in PTs that gets clogged (and can NOT usually be cleaned because it's stupidly made into the inside of the reservoir), impedes fluid flow to the pump, which cavitates, and you get an air-in-the-system whine that won't bleed out...and the top of the reservoir is always wet, as it tends to overflow slightly. Only solution: replace the reservoir, which is a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER than a pump (I know people who've had both the pump AND the rack replaced by "expert mechanics", over $1200, and the howling didn't go away until the reservoir got changed...so the pump and rack replacement were classic throw-parts-at-it-and-pray unnecessary repairs).

Anyway, it's got all the classic symptoms. Needs a reservoir. Chrysler shows the part to be obsolete, NLA, as do all the online MOPAR parts houses. BUT...there's a NEW Mopar part number for a slightly different reservoir that fits the application, yet none of the dealers or MOPAR parts houses seemed to have ever heard of it.

So I finally find one. $85 shipped. Half an hour to put it in while she waited, two cans of ATF4. $150.

Fixed. Damm. And I coulda got $600.  B)

The moral of the story: just because somebody's been doing something for 30 years, that's no guarantee that he's any good at it, or that he's honest.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I got to keep a client from being fcrewed. Her power steering (first year PT Cruiser) had started howling shortly after she put engine oil in it. I did a Q&D fluid change with old Mr. Turkey Baster, but the Chewbacca noise didn't go entirely away.

Those of you familiar with power steering know that howling is usually caused by air in the system somewhere, and it can usually be bled by turning the wheel lock to lock several times. Well sir, in this case, no luck. I know what the problem is. It's NOT a safety issue. So I told her to drive it and I'd get back to her in a few days.

In the meantime, one of her headlights went out, so she took it to the local chimp shop because she drives late at night, and I couldn't get to it. OK. A chimp ought to be able to change a bulb.

Next... chimp-boy (who says he's been a mechanic for 30 years and has worked on a lot of PT Cruisers) hears the steering talking, and offers to fix it for around $600. Replace the pump. With zero diagnosis, no test drive, nothing.

She calls me up saying she's going to let him do it because she knows how busy I am and doesn't want to add to my stress load. This is the same chick who got screwed out of $700 for totally unnecessary repairs just last year, that I ended up diagnosing correctly and fixing anyway.

So I get a little heated, thank her for thinking my time is important, but "don't you remember what happened LAST time you took your car to somebody else?" "Well yeah, but this guy is this and that and has been a tech for 30 years." Phffffft. I FINALLY talk her out of it.

OK. The damm car doesn't need a freaking pump. There's a screen in the reservoir in PTs that gets clogged (and can NOT usually be cleaned because it's stupidly made into the inside of the reservoir), impedes fluid flow to the pump, which cavitates, and you get an air-in-the-system whine that won't bleed out...and the top of the reservoir is always wet, as it tends to overflow slightly. Only solution: replace the reservoir, which is a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER than a pump (I know people who've had both the pump AND the rack replaced by "expert mechanics", over $1200, and the howling didn't go away until the reservoir got changed...so the pump and rack replacement were classic throw-parts-at-it-and-pray unnecessary repairs).

Anyway, it's got all the classic symptoms. Needs a reservoir. Chrysler shows the part to be obsolete, NLA, as do all the online MOPAR parts houses. BUT...there's a NEW Mopar part number for a slightly different reservoir that fits the application, yet none of the dealers or MOPAR parts houses seemed to have ever heard of it.

So I finally find one. $85 shipped. Half an hour to put it in while she waited, two cans of ATF4. $150.

Fixed. Damm. And I coulda got $600.  B)

The moral of the story: just because somebody's been doing something for 30 years, that's no guarantee that he's any good at it, or that he's honest.

That's why, for the last 40 years I have done all my own work. I had crash damage repaired by a "professional" place once.  They replaced the front brake hose with the wrong one.  Instead of exiting the caliper vertically, it came out horizontally and was resting on the CV boot. It was a race to see which one would wear out and fail first: the CV boot or the brake hose.  I happened to see it when I was doing the next oil change.  DIY forever! 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, redneckrigger said:

Those ARE a bunch of fun..................but after having shot them, I will say I hope you have strong wrists! WOW! Oh yeah, while your at it, pay a little visit to Phil........................he's out of his mind, as usual!

yea i kinda wondered about the wrist stuff but kinda cheated i bought mine in 20 gauge but if your serious a 12 would be it! i had one in my hand today and it felt pretty good!

vince

10 hours ago, vintagedragcrazy said:

yea i kinda wondered about the wrist stuff but kinda cheated i bought mine in 20 gauge but if your serious a 12 would be it! i had one in my hand today and it felt pretty good!

vince

Went on a gun buying spree and picked up the 500 Tactical. At my age I don't think I will be trying the pistol grip unless of emergency. Mine is loaded with double ought buck and slugs. Haven't shot it yet but mainly bought for home defense.

7 hours ago, cobraman said:

Oh man those balsa gliders really take me back. I used to go through a bunch every summer back in the day.

They are fun. I haven't seen them in years. I'm glad to see they still are be made. By the same company, since 1926 no less. And the exact same models I remember from back in the 1960's. Sometimes the simple things are the best. I'm looking forward to nice weather this spring, to go outside and try them out.