Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dry-lakes scratchbashed '29 Ford/Ardun: Front 4-link, etc., Jan. 26

Ace-Garageguy

I sincerely appreciate the interest, guys. I've been priming...letting it shrink-in...sanding...priming...shrinking...sanding...etc. Getting there, and will post new pix when she's ready for paint.

As this will be a plug for molds of the hood, nose and tonneau, I'm leaving the scribed opening lines a little wide to accommodate paint thickness on the finished parts from the molds, but I'm trying to keep them tight enough to look good with the plug presented as a finished model too. Kindof a fine line, and I haven't done anything exactly like this before.

I sincerely appreciate the interest, guys. I've been priming...letting it shrink-in...sanding...priming...shrinking...sanding...etc. Getting there, and will post new pix when she's ready for paint.

Just know that when there's progress to show, that we'll be watching.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had some Nikon photo-editor compatibility issues with my new hard-drive in the Win7 machine that weren't there with the old drive, and that took a while to work around...but it works just like it worked in XP now, even better than when I had the old 7 drive. Finally got enough real-life fires put out to grab some bench time these last few evenings. Listening to the local PBS affiliate doing their classic jazz Saturday night program. Life's pretty OK for the moment.

I lost a lot of detail due to primer buildup, particularly the (should-be) sharply-sculpted body lines on the rear quarters, and I had to correct them. Also had a devil of a time getting the scribed panel lines straight enough, learned a thing of two in the process.

DSCN4344_zps2gclvdqj.jpg

Now she's in Duplicolor white primer, getting very close. I still have to make the center panel for the forward bellypan, and finalize the header openings, then just a little more 600-800 grit sanding of some areas. The body lines on the quarters are still a little too fat and vague, but I have a method worked out to slim them down and sharpen them a bit more.

DSCN4391_zps0bd1b8pm.jpg

DSCN4394_zpso9z6vcjr.jpg

DSCN4393_zpshk68dgih.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Your car has really come together Bill.  I like seeing the differences in the body lines / details just by painting it with white primer.  Fantastic execution on all of the body mods and how it just "flows".   If you haven't mentioned it yet, what color are you considering?  Cheers, Tim

Thanks to everyone who's followed and expressed interest.

Bill, I'm wondering how we're gonna be able to appreciate the engine. 

Rob, the hood, hood sides, nose, front and rear bellypan sections and hard tonneau will all be copied in molds made from the original parts shown here, and the final model will be assembled with those components being openable and / or removable. The parts, as shown here, are all klugey cobbled-up looking things on the hidden sides, just plugs for the molds to be made after the thing is painted. I've shown my technique of making almost-scale-thickness real fiberglass parts on several WIP threads on this and other forums over the years. I've been honing the process, and can produce a near-perfect copy now.

From another of my track-nose builds...plug on the left, mold in the center, copied part on the right.     http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/66744-chopped-34-track-nose-3-w-coupe-new-nose-finally-july-13/

DSCN1064.jpg

More recent type of mold on the left, copied part in the center...

DSCN2668.jpg

The completed parts are very thin, and because of the exceptionally high-strength of the 1:1 aviation materials I use, they are significantly stronger than either resin or styrene, and don't warp over time.

DSCN3439.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy