Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welp, That Sucks

Actually Americans are wary to stop and offer assistance anymore. Too many times the accident or break down is a ruse to rob you!

And now a days nobody is truly stranded. Everyone has a cell phone to call for help. Most folks have AAA cards with free towing. I make sure all my women folks carry the card.

Do Americans not stop and offer help, when someone just had a serious accident?

Assuming nobody actually did stop and offer help (since the vid cuts off just after the car does its impersonation of The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay)....

1. The guy hit the gas and took off at a rather high rate of speed- he was doing a pretty good job gaining on the traffic in front of him. I'd be willing to guess he just blew through a red light.

2. He was passing on the right. That's just plain idiotic in pretty much any circumstance.

3. He didn't have enough sense to make sure he had the little things taken care of... like a properly installed rear axle, for instance.

So, in short... stopping to help someone like that would be interfering with natural selection.

Could have been rusted out underneath and the axle fell off...

As far as not stopping, it didn't look like an injury accident, the guy can call AAA (or Canadian equivalent if it was Canada) himself to get a tow...

Edited by Rob Hall

Yeah, right. That's a real common occurrence... :lol:

Salt corrosion..happens in the rust belt. Back in the '80s my brother had a $50 '73 Ford LTD Brougham and it's rear axle fell off while driving. The mounts rusted off. That was a month after the radiator fell out..

I keep hearing about people getting sued for anything that goes wrong while helping others....not a great incentive to help strangers.

In Canada we are protected by the Good Samaritan rule.

A person who helps someone generally can’t be held responsible for damage caused by the help. This is called the "Good Samaritan rule".

I think someone forgot to tighten up the bolts before the test drive.

There were no leaf springs to contain the rear axle, so it was probably a four link. Possibilities? Grade nothing bolts, bad setup with bolts in single shear, or bolts run through with loose or likely no nuts at all. Then Dart dude floors it...

Zackly. B)

Or, he used some cheapo no-grade U-bolts on the axle. You can get real dandies for trailers at Harbor Freight. ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy