Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Detailed Look and Kit Commentary - new Moebius '65 Plymouth Satellite

Since I can't access Tim Boyd's review here at work to view any pics I'll ask this here-Are the parts made in the grainy type plastic like the '54 Hudson or are they the smooth type like the '55 and '56 Chryslers and the earlier Hudsons?

Read Tim's caption for Picture 14........

It is amazing - the number of nicely built models that show up on the contest tables with wheel/tire misfit issues like the example at right.  Instantly kills the "accurate" replication of a vehicle and makes an otherwise fine model look toyish. 

BeadComparison-vi.jpg

Since I can't access Tim Boyd's review here at work to view any pics I'll ask this here-Are the parts made in the grainy type plastic like the '54 Hudson or are they the smooth type like the '55 and '56 Chryslers and the earlier Hudsons?

Can't speak with any authority yet, but I believe this kit marks a change in tooling vendors for Moebius, and Chuck Most's shot on the last page seems to show a more polished body mold.

Tim does seem to confirm this in his captions, which I'm guessing you can't see if you can't access his review...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
clarification

DSC_0420-vi.jpg0

Just to reconfirm what others here have said, the main body is fully polished.  You can see the reflection of the polished surface here in the trunk area of the photograph.above.  The hood is even more highly polished (like some of the Lindberg reissues in the 1990's).  

For those that haven't already looked at it, this would probably be a good time to review my detailed kit preview (53 photos and captions) at the following link...  http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-moebius-65-

plym/new-moebius-65-plym/

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

At this link are 53 photos and commentary on the new Moebius '65 Plymouth Satellite kit. (Kit provided in apprehensive  Moebius to several model car journalist/builders for advance publicity purposes, including this writer).

From first impressions, this looks to be a great kit - have a look and see if you agree. Of course, as always, the final verdict will be how it appears when fully painted and assembled.

By the way, Moebius advised that the kit is in production now and should be available for retail purchase domestically sometime in July.

DSC_0468-vi.jpg

Thanks in advance for your interest.

TIM

(PS - I recommend against posting pictures of real '65 Satellites and comparing them to the pictures herein, as differences in camara lenses, focal lengths, photography angles, et al make it virtually impossible to draw accurate conclusions about real vs. kit body proportions and accuracy.)

(PSS - Board Moderators - I posted this as a separate topic since it is a detailed discussion of the actual kit, vs. the existing thread which is mostly pre-introduction in topic content. But feel free to move this to the previous topic thread if you prefer). TB

hiya Tim,

thank you for this review Tim.I enjoyed it.picture were great and your take info I l loved.I was a little apprehensive about getting this kit.but will be getting it soon...Thank you,Chris

At this link are 53 photos and commentary on the new Moebius '65 Plymouth Satellite kit. (Kit provided in apprehensive  Moebius to several model car journalist/builders for advance publicity purposes, including this writer).

From first impressions, this looks to be a great kit - have a look and see if you agree. Of course, as always, the final verdict will be how it appears when fully painted and assembled.

By the way, Moebius advised that the kit is in production now and should be available for retail purchase domestically sometime in July.

DSC_0468-vi.jpg

Thanks in advance for your interest.

TIM

(PS - I recommend against posting pictures of real '65 Satellites and comparing them to the pictures herein, as differences in camara lenses, focal lengths, photography angles, et al make it virtually impossible to draw accurate conclusions about real vs. kit body proportions and accuracy.)

(PSS - Board Moderators - I posted this as a separate topic since it is a detailed discussion of the actual kit, vs. the existing thread which is mostly pre-introduction in topic content. But feel free to move this to the previous topic thread if you prefer). TB

hiya Tim,

thank you for this review Tim.I enjoyed it.picture were great and your take info I l loved.I was a little apprehensive about getting this kit.but will be getting it soon...Thank you,Chris

Is the Satellite the same as the Coronet just with different trim options or something?... im not MOPAR familiar with anything... mainly GM... lol and RED OVAL OBSESSED thanks Tim A.

Coronet is the Dodge B-body, Belvedere is the Plymouth B-body.  Satellite is the top trim level of the Belvedere series. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those speculating on what might be next, there are TWO carburetors on the parts tree even though this build calls for one. 

I think the A990 Super Stock version has already been let out of the bag so to speak, but will it be a Sedan body this time around or the same hardtop bodystyle?

I think the A990 Super Stock version has already been let out of the bag so to speak, but will it be a Sedan body this time around or the same hardtop bodystyle?

From Svens Facebook page this morning.......  definitely an A990 car with that exhaust set up . Fantastic news!, even if it is old news ! Lol

11921700_10153649058121062_6920211971703375380_n.jpg

Edited by Mr Stock

HUH.

Well we see now what might justify that finned tranny pan, anyway; and as such, I ain't got a huge problem with Moebius leaving us to file it smooth.

Ain't having much problem at all with the street car, actually.  Its design, engraving, and execution are more than enough to compensate for that slight windshield crown and those funky vent wings, far as I'm concerned. In fact - possibly excepting Revell's '68/'69 Charger once they corrected it - I think this model easily has the measure of any other Chrysler B-body kit engineered in the last 30 years.