Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

Ace, I know what you mean about the older kits and the memories of building them. I am grateful to Round2 and Revell/Monogram for reissuing some of the older kits from back in the day. It gives me a chance to buy now what I couldn't/didn't back then. My skills haven't greatly improved since then but it is still fun to build them as they were.

Frank, enjoying yourself is all that matters. that fondness many of us feel for so many of these kits, and other hobby or toy items is what can sometimes turns a very bad day into a great day. as for your skills, I know myself that as I get older, now 60, I don't have that same drive for perfection and ultra detail that I once had back in the heyday. for me personally,  just getting a kit finished and appearing decent overall is sometimes a task these days.... even getting new kits is sometimes as far as a planned project will get, but that's ok with me , and i'll bet there are many of us in this hobby similar in that aspect.......the ace.............:)

Edited by AC Norton
text

Frank, enjoying yourself is all that matters. that fondness many of us feel for much of these kits, and other hobby or toy items is what sometimes turns a very bad day into a great day. as for your skills, I know myself that as I grow older, now 60, I don't have that same drive for perfection and ultra detail that I once had back in the heyday. for me,  just getting a kit finished and decent looking overall is sometimes a task now.... even having this stuff is sometimes as far as it gets, but that's ok with me these days.......the ace.............:)

Preach It, Brother Ace! B)

I prolly won't buy a new '67 Charger, as I still have one unfinished from the '80s reissue, but all the talk about the kit is inspiring me to kick that thing through the goalposts. Think there would be any interest in a Group Build on MPC '67 Chargers? I have an idea for a mid-'70s "high school hot rod"....B)

yes, a mid 70s high school 67 charger may be a neat group build idea....I like that, I can almost smell the burning oil from a caffed out 318 or 383 with a jillion miles on her as we speak.....oh, and I like the 'prolly' deal too,,,as in....'prolly want a cracker'............lol.....the ace........:lol:

I'd be in for a group build, I already have a Buyers Choice edition.. I've wanted to build one as a former 60's Super Stocker that was converted to run brackets due to NHRA rule changes.

I'm also considering waiting for the new release before I build so it has the better white plastic.

The First generation Charger is still one of my favorite body styles.  I always wanted to do one as an '80s bracket racer, or a super stocker from the era.  I hung out at a lot of drag strips back then and there were a couple of Chargers I really liked.  I won't replicate any of them, but I will do the Charger I would have raced if I had been able to.  (Although I will never complain about my Cougar.)  I could do a quick and fun build of this car if I could just get the real world to leave me alone for a little while.

"yes, a mid 70s high school 67 charger may be a neat group build idea..."

Funny thing is that early Chargers were never plentiful. I graduated in 1976 and don't remember a single one at my school.  Back then Mopars hadn't come of age yet. I had two 1966 Valiants, one a slant six V100 2 door sedan and the other was a Signet 2 door hardtop with a 273 that went like stink!  Even when I added a '65 Barracuda to the stable, they really got no respect back then!   But the good part was that when you could find parts, they were cheap!

Funny thing is that early Chargers were never plentiful.

I don't remember any at my HS either (class of 71). It also could be due to their low production #'s, 37,300 +/- for 1966, 15,788 +/- for 1967.

Charger sales didn't take off until 1968 when over 92,000 were sold                                                          

Funny thing is that early Chargers were never plentiful.

I don't remember any at my HS either (class of 71). It also could be due to their low production #'s, 37,300 +/- for 1966, 15,788 +/- for 1967.

Charger sales didn't take off until 1968 when over 92,000 were sold                                                          

I'm almost your age and didn't see any Chargers at my HS either. But I'm thinking in the mid to late '70s, when the musclecars were a drug on the market, SOMEBODY was surely driving a cheap one to HS.

Also, I didn't mean to suggest a Group Build of HS Hot Rod Chargers. I was suggesting a Group Build of MPC '67 Chargers of all build styles--I'm just planning to finish the one languishing on my Shelf of Doom as a HSHR. (Just 'cause that seems like the easiest, fastest way to do it.)

I'm almost your age and didn't see any Chargers at my HS either. But I'm thinking in the mid to late '70s, when the musclecars were a drug on the market, SOMEBODY was surely driving a cheap one to HS.

Also, I didn't mean to suggest a Group Build of HS Hot Rod Chargers. I was suggesting a Group Build of MPC '67 Chargers of all build styles--I'm just planning to finish the one languishing on my Shelf of Doom as a HSHR. (Just 'cause that seems like the easiest, fastest way to do it.)

I knew that you were suggesting a group build of the Charger and that it didn't have to be a HS type ride build. I'm definitely interested in joining in on one. 

Surprise:

MPC82967DodgeCharger.jpg

Wow. As nice as the Revell kit is, I have a real soft spot for this kit. I built lots of them as a kid. The first gens are my favorite. However, the only reason I would purchase this is if the injection intake is included. The clear hood would be a nice touch too. 

Surprise:

MPC82967DodgeCharger.jpg

Wow. As nice as the Revell kit is, I have a real soft spot for this kit. I built lots of them as a kid. The first gens are my favorite. However, the only reason I would purchase this is if the injection intake is included. The clear hood would be a nice touch too. 

Remember this kit having pesky sinkmarks on the "end cap" areas of the fender and RR1/4 panel.

Hopefully they addressed that, production wise, or tooling wise by opening the grille and taillite cavity of the body

Surprise:

MPC82967DodgeCharger.jpg

Remember this kit having pesky sinkmarks on the "end cap" areas of the fender and RR1/4 panel.

Hopefully they addressed that, production wise, or tooling wise by opening the grille and taillite cavity of the body

Yup. Mine's got those sinkmarks, which is the main reason I never finished it. Maybe I'll see if I can incorporate those as "dents" in my HSHR. :lol: 

This is the version of the MPC 67 Charger I built Way Back When too

Still have it, but Stripped and under resto

I even looked at using the 68/9 Road Runner/GTX chassis under her

I Would LOVE to see Original Annual parts returned (Stock Hubcaps--[Not every one likes Mag-like or Ralley Rims!!

--Plus, how many MoPar's would you see on the same lot with them??] Stock engine parts, etc)

I would Rather have the G72 Custom Wide-Tread's than those Small F60's for the Front!!!

I believe that is what came in the kit then!!!

Frank, enjoying yourself is all that matters. that fondness many of us feel for so many of these kits, and other hobby or toy items is what can sometimes turns a very bad day into a great day. as for your skills, I know myself that as I get older, now 60, I don't have that same drive for perfection and ultra detail that I once had back in the heyday. for me personally,  just getting a kit finished and appearing decent overall is sometimes a task these days.... even getting new kits is sometimes as far as a planned project will get, but that's ok with me , and i'll bet there are many of us in this hobby similar in that aspect.......the ace.............:)

I am. I'm also 60 and you nailed my philosophy now too. Just going for an overall "look". I enjoy vintage built up restorations and simple vintage box art builds.

This is the version of the MPC 67 Charger I built Way Back When too

Still have it, but Stripped and under resto

I even looked at using the 68/9 Road Runner/GTX chassis under her

I Would LOVE to see Original Annual parts returned (Stock Hubcaps--[Not every one likes Mag-like or Ralley Rims!!

--Plus, how many MoPar's would you see on the same lot with them??] Stock engine parts, etc)

I would Rather have the G72 Custom Wide-Tread's than those Small F60's for the Front!!!

I believe that is what came in the kit then!!!

I think the original '66-'67 wheel covers are available from at least one aftermarket supplier. Would be cool to have the '67 annual clear hood back--and if the mold is still intact, including that is just the kind of thing R2 would do, so I'm optimistic. (I might still have mine from my annual somewhere.) I too would rather see the big tires of the Great Street Machines version.

Of course, I Meant G70!!

They Have been in recent re-issues. At least the yellow/White 72 Chevy Fleetside (probably all since too)

and the 76 Caprice to name 2.

I was VERY surprised to see the F70 Speedway's in the 70 Bonneville!!

Believe I will use taller tires on that!

Either Power Cushions from Monogram/Revell 64-66 Impalas, Lindberg 61's,

or even Original MPC versions I have a FEW

G70's would work too.

Rev/Mono should have tooled up G70 size tires for their 68/9 Chargers.

Their F70 Speedways look TOO small on those cars!

Same here on the 67.

Only problem I have with After Market is Price!!!! (OK if UNDER $5.oo a set of4,

but anything over......................

And IF they accept any payment method other than pay-the-bay or credit

(WHEN I can save up)