Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many kits do you have in your stash?

I probably have around 1500 models. I would include unbuilt in box, built ups, and even parts kits and diecast in that number.

I've been at it as an adult for 30 years, and had about 2 dozen kits I had saved over the years prior to getting back seriously. It's not tough to get to 1500 kits. Figure 30 years, that's like getting 4 kits a month. And that's pretty easy to do. There are months I buy nothing, but that gets averaged with the months I bought a dozen kits at a show.

Back when I lived in NJ, I had a space crunch and had kit cases stored in the attic, in the void under the stair case and stacked to the ceiling in the corner of the model room, and a few other creative places. The problem with this is I had no idea how much I had, exactly what I had and where it may be. When I moved to PA, I moved the models myself. I know I filled Dodge Grand Caravan right up into the hightop FIVE trips! And being out of space, I did what any modeler would do.... I bought a bigger house!

Now I have no issues storing my models, I have a 10x14 room in the basement I call the warehouse. All the kits are in cases, ends marked with contents like "1970s Fords" etc, so I find it pretty easy to locate a kit. I also have a huge amount of kits up in the model room that migrated there for a grok and managed to stay. I have no worries about building them all. It's a collection. It makes me happy to complete sets and series. And if I get the urge to build a specific car or truck I've seen somewhere, I have one in stock! In the end, maybe someday I'll have that urge to sell it all, or once I've fallen off my perch, it's my wife's problem!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I think in the 350 to 400 range in unbuilts . If I add in the built / finsihed kits add in maybe anout 150 .. Then I think I have maybe another 40-50 old builtups .

I've bought maybe 20-25 kits since the 1st of the year and not one of them has been a modern kit.

Its been all old annuals and/or drag car kits.

The last new / readily avail kit I bought was the 1970 Hemi Cuda and thats been over a year.

I do plan to pick up at least one of the 57 Ford wagons here soon and will probably get one each of the F100 pickups just for good measure .

Edited by gtx6970

With ALL the unbuilt kits that many of us have, it is really hard to grasp the fact that many modelers/collectors are "chompin' at the bit" for the newest release to be on the hobby shop shelves. It's INSANE!

And typical. I've bought kits in the past that I just had to have "right now", only to still have those same kits sitting on the unbuilt shelves 30 years later, because I was too busy buying new stuff to ever work on those others.

I have much fewer than most of you. About 8 waiting to be built and about 55 Cobra kits that i don't plan on ever building.

Then why do you have them? I only have two or three that I'll never build, but only because they're a bow to kits I've owned in the past, very lousy kits, but reflective of having built those same kits when I was a pup.

And typical. I've bought kits in the past that I just had to have "right now", only to still have those same kits sitting on the unbuilt shelves 30 years later, because I was too busy buying new stuff to ever work on those others.

Then why do you have them? I only have two or three that I'll never build, but only because they're a bow to kits I've owned in the past, very lousy kits, but reflective of having built those same kits when I was a pup.

The simple answer is because I collect Cobras. If you count all and not just kits but also die cast ect. I have about 700 now. I just like Cobra's. : )

I counted a few years ago and the figure was around 900.I now have more.My guess is around 1300 at this point.I sell off some but I buy more.I wonder if the kits are breeding down in my basement.

Invest in styrene futures!

Tony

It's gotta be creaking up over 350 now. In my defense about 100 of those are kits I managed to warehouse in storage lockers through several early adulthood moves prior to finding permanent residency in my house. I have gotten to the point in the past 9 months or so that my many conquests to acquire entire "collections" of a specific car (I have like 40 Nissan GT-Rs of varying vintage) have been completed, and most of my kit purchases are confined to new releases and/or GT3 "blanks" for the mountain of decals I've acquired. I'm always looking for the one or two odd kits that complete a series, THEN I'll build them - yeah that's the ticket!

I've only picked this hobby two years ago, so I have around 7 or 8 finished drag models, about 8 in the closet and 4 on the bench either waiting for custom decals or being pre-primed and put back so I can jump right in if I struggle on one. I do a lot of mid 2000 Revel funny cars, retro's like JJ's early Vega and a Monza I just got and my bastardized Heavy Hugger kit (Ford engine with a GMC blower). But the most fun is buying resin blowers, hats, valve covers, one piece rubber slicks and suspension DIYs. I'll use the Revell top sportsman chassis or mod a pro stock kit into a pro mod.

Well over 1000 sealed kits, plus a few hundred opened, started, raided or other kits. I will be ebaying a bunch of them this year, because if I don't, Cathie will. I'd rather have the money in my pay pal account than hers. I'm going to use some of the proceeds to buy some supplies and finish more of the kits I have. She wants more shoes...

Well over 1000 sealed kits, plus a few hundred opened, started, raided or other kits. I will be ebaying a bunch of them this year, because if I don't, Cathie will. I'd rather have the money in my pay pal account than hers. I'm going to use some of the proceeds to buy some supplies and finish more of the kits I have. She wants more shoes...

Funny thing... when I was selling off a lot of my brochure collection on eBay, I was buying stamps for my collection. For prices that would make model builders cringe. I have a lot more into stamps than models!

My wife never says anything about my hobby spend. It's never gotten in the way of our family, purely money spent after all the important things have been taken care of. One day she asked me if I'd show her how to sell things on eBay. She brings out many Coach and other expensive brand purses that I was not aware of. And I instantly knew I couldn't say a thing! :rolleyes:

Just started modeling 5 years ago. Have around 150 kits. Ordered 6 more. I believe Im plastic crazy. Really have the bug. Kind of makes me feel like a kid again.

Here's how it goes... 156 kits in 5 years equals 31.2 kits a year or a mere 2.6 kits a month which isn't a big buy. Multiply that by the 30 years I've been involved as an adult... you'll have 936 models! I have about 1500, so step it up! :P