Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Model T Sedan - SomesortaRod - Finally Done.. Only 2months late!

Impalow

"if its a flathead V8 how come you only got three exhaust pipes each side"

The flathead had 'siamesed' center exhaust ports, so only 3 pipes total on each side. The 50s Cadillac 331 V8 also has only 3 exhaust ports each side.

A little twist, though--the Ardun conversion for flathead has 4 exhaust ports per side (as seen in the Revell '50 Ford pickup...the newer, correct one, not the older incorrect one).

Thank you Tom!

So i felt that a plain old aluminum gas tank would be a bit boring...so i wanted to do something more unique.  I came up with the idea of a luggage rack then hiding the tank in a piece of vintage luggage.  Still need to add the detail items, leather straps, handles, hinges and latches.. but all in all im happy with it.  

Plan is to finish it to look something like these.... The rack I think has to be chrome.

Scratchbuilt luggage rack

Scratchbuilt luggage... not my cleanest work by far... but with some sanding and priming it should work.

Great idea. As a modified finish alternative you might consider the true "Trunks" on the early classics. Not much different than what your showing. Look forward to seeing this and meeting you tomorrow.

image.jpeg

Great idea Al!   I actually like that better than the mid century modern ones I was thinking...  and the pattern is instantly distinguishable as luggage...   I think i will go this route.  Thanks again!    Very much excited for the show tomorrow...

This is about as different from my '26 Model T as one can get yet I like your version a LOT. You have come up with some very innovative and interesting solutions to some challenging problems. The skills you are demonstrating, especially with metal finishing is really stunning. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Love it! You are bringing this tomorrow aren't you? I want to see it in person!! You've got some mad skills and killer ideas!

yep this will be there!  As well as all my other works in progress... Thank you! 

This is about as different from my '26 Model T as one can get yet I like your version a LOT. You have come up with some very innovative and interesting solutions to some challenging problems. The skills you are demonstrating, especially with metal finishing is really stunning. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thank you Eric!! I was checking out your model t earlier.. Nice work! 

Thanks guys!!   The Toledo NNL was amazing and very inspiring... I was so inspired i made some excellent progress on the hidden fuel tank yesterday.

Cut the split lid on the "trunk"...  part of me just wanted to drill a hole and put a fill cap in the trunk... but, if i were doing this in real life.. i wouldn't do that... So I cut this flip-up lid that will use one of the hinges and latches of the trunk.

5E07BFF2-00BD-4801-828D-EAA29B7D48D4.jpg

Added some strap loops and bolt heads on the luggage rack

F95DBD75-72C0-4D90-8E4C-1B56FD5406E2.jpg

Built the oval tank to go inside of the trunk, then drilled it for the fill cap from one of the Detail Master moon tanks. 

3DCF5537-F032-4F9D-AA6D-0E5F24E13211.jpg

0707E80D-8CCD-4D3D-9B07-4AB40263BB77.jpg

7CB6259A-328A-48B2-9C95-57D3ADBCCA8D.jpg

Now it was time for paint...  I used some of the Vallego model color for the trim, then i printed the LV pattern out at 1200dpi  on regular old paper. Put a few coat of enamel clear on the paper to seal and protect it. (first one very light to avoid running)   Then i just cut the inserts to size and used thined white glue to attach them.  After it was all done i touched it up and painted the inside with some Tamiya Hull Red. 

3E5DF342-111E-41A9-8C31-942996C375E8.jpg

D619D4CB-B38E-4511-BC2E-C33163806D68.jpg

Painted the tank with AlClad Polished aluminum over Dupli-Color gloss black and clear... first time using this... absolutely love it.

26FCD374-E133-437A-BD26-AE549D7D6E58.jpg

Chromed the luggage rack.... with Alclad chrome.

5BF22BA1-68F3-424F-A443-5EF77F9B32D6.jpg

and finally a mock-up.... still need to add the latches, handles and hinges.

2AA3AF08-CA01-40F5-9B28-3D0B28C9D46A.jpg

Edited by Impalow

It was nice to meet you and your friends at the NNL last Saturday.You guys are in the minority in that crowd due to you all still being young enough to have your original hair color(or hair at all for that matter)!

I love everything about this build.The tank-in-suitcase idea is kick ass slick.Everywhere I look on this model the inovation and creatiivity are so plainly evident it's scary.Thanks for adding your models to the great display at Toledo.Hope to see you there next year!!