Model Cars Magazine Forum

So now that Fotki isn't free..

Draggon

Got a notice that as of October 1 the free Fotki accounts will be closed,so what are the options? I'm not into spending $20 a year just to store my pictures somewhere. I've tried Photobucket, but for some reason my computer doesn't like it, it takes forever and a day to upload photos and scroll through albums. So does anyone have some recommendations, and if so, what are the postives and negatives? 

Yeah, I got the same Fotki notice and decided to bite the bullet and sign up for a paid account.  While it's not terribly expensive it just honks me off that I now have to pay for it...  I switched from Photobucket to Fotki for that exact reason.  I've been trying to cut corners on my monthly expenses since I'm on a fixed, monthly S.S. income, but EVERYTHING is costing more these days......  My water, electric and School Tax bills went up.  I dropped my lawn service company because they raised my rate by 50% and I dropped TruGreen's fertilizing/weed killing service.  My neighbor's son now takes care of my lawns for less than half of what I was paying for everything.  (I don't get around very easily since I had my stroke, and I don't own a lawn mower since we moved here from NY.  I can't afford to buy a sit-down lawn mower or I'd be doing it myself.)  Unfortunately we just have to accept that things are going to cost more as time goes on, and that nothing is free for very long, if at all.

Sounds like you might want to update your web browser.

Thanks harry, I'm using Google Chrome and its updated. It works OK but a bit slow, I think I exaggerated the "forever and a day". I was more looking for feedback, who uses what and how they like it. DeviantArt is pretty cool, anyone have experience with it?

Nobody said the Internet would be free forever.  A lot of companies, including Paypal were free at first because they were all flush with investment money, but that's all gone now and they have to carry their own weight.   I've had paid Fotki accounts for years, my personal account and  my club / NNL East account.You guys are arguing over $20.40 a year ($1.70 a month!) for a service that you use for this hobby every day.  That's less than the cost of one kit.

Fotki gives discounts for signing up for multiple years.  They also have sales from time to time and I've re-upped my accounts at the five year discount rate during these events.

What they currently have posted:

10-years - $1.27 per month ($152)
5-years - $1.35 per month ($80.75)
3-years - $1.42 per month ($51)
2-years - $1.56 per month ($37.40)
1-year - $1.70 per month ($20.40)

So it's $20.40 for one year, and it goes down to $16.15 a year if you sign up for five years, $15.20 a year for a ten year commitment.  I'd say sign up for a year, and if history repeats itself, sometime during the year they will have a sale at prices lower than above, and you just re-up then.

Got a notice that as of October 1 the free Fotki accounts will be closed,so what are the options? I'm not into spending $20 a year just to store my pictures somewhere. I've tried Photobucket, but for some reason my computer doesn't like it, it takes forever and a day to upload photos and scroll through albums. So does anyone have some recommendations, and if so, what are the postives and negatives? 

Sounds like you might want to update your web browser.

Harry, my computer is a couple years old and Photobucket is still slow on cable internet...

No. This site isn't designed to be a photo hosting site.

There are plenty of photohosting sites out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo-sharing_websites

Harry, I understand what you are saying, but most of the other forums I am on do the exact opposite, because those photohosting sites can go away(has happened in the past), or users can cancel the accounts either voluntarily or by not paying to keep them active.  Wth that the pictures that are linked in the post to that site are then gone, and the other forums really want the pictures to stay around as the posts pretty much are useless without them in many cases.

Granted, the sites I am talking about are for 1:1 cars, but I would think that losing the photos here would be a bad thing as well.

Obviously just my opinion. But I won't be posting pictures on here because I don't want to mess with photohosting sites personally. And I do pay for upgraded memberships on a few of the forums to do my part to help cover costs that they have.

Russ

Flickr has a free 1-Tb account, I have linked to my photos there previously with no issue yet.

I also have a free Photobucket account but don't seem to have speed problems.

Same here and I've been very happy with Flickr, less so with Photobucket. I post photos on the H.A.M.B. "Vintage Shots from Days Gone By" thread and I got sick of PB shutting off my photos for a week or so at the end of the month due to "bandwidth usage" - never mind that I'm nowhere near my photo capacity. No such issue with Flickr.

I got sick of PB shutting off my photos for a week or so at the end of the month due to "bandwidth usage" - never mind that I'm nowhere near my photo capacity. No such issue with Flickr.

Bandwidth is different than capacity.  Capacity is the physical volume that they've allocated you on their disks.  Bandwidth is the throughput,  which is the size of that picture every time it's accessed.  So if you posted a photo on a message board, and that post gets viewed 1000 times,  each time counts towards the bandwidth allocation.

That's why I have the Fotki paid account.  I have no limits on either.  And they've been around 17 years so I don't think they're going away. I have thousands of photos stored there neatly in easily accessible albums.

I have to wonder why so many of you are having problems with Photobucket. I've used it for many years, always free, super easy to use... never had an issue with it.

Am I just lucky? Don't think so... I use the same Photobucket that everyone else does.

Generally I agree. PB (freebie) has been pretty good for me for several years now. My one issue is that only one link option is available to me now, whereas there used to be four,... that and the fact that this forum will still not allow me to link images, as I continue to get the wheel of death, so eventually I'll no longer be able to upload anything.

Photobucket for me is slow. But they have a lot of fluff on their web version. I use Google Chrome and turn on ad block free... and that helps a lot. Still a little finicky but not nearly as bad as it could be. I use their mobile app more than anything to upload pics since my cell phone is my main camera. A lot easier than uploading pics on my phone than on the web. I'm nearly at 40% of my free storage on PB... never thought I'd see it get that high but model building does that I guess.