Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Burnt Marshmallow

The Fisherman

Two years ago, my now 13 year old, received a Revell Jeep Wrangler model as a Christmas gift. A few weeks ago something motivated him to open the box and start working on it. This is his 1st ever build, but I'm not certain he hasn't been night-lighting somewhere..........

He build himself a make-shift paint booth to keep the rattle can over-spray to a minimum, and started working on the frame.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.a0186fbc3dc958bFrame.thumb.jpg.65b5851d3564e909875c5b26

Unfortunately, I didn't realize I would be sharing the process with a forum, so the photos are a tad skimpy between procedures. After the frame was finalized into a rolling chassis, he turned his attention onto the interior bucket. (Note: this is a curbside model, with solid axles and screw mounting points. He spent some time working the suspension springs to get all four wheels to sit on the ground.)

Chassis_and_interior.thumb.jpg.17beb0640Shifter_paint.thumb.JPG.5b975bdc13cdd7f9Interior_view.thumb.jpg.4d390ed4eacdeac3

After he was satisfied with that, he started working on the body parts. When he started this, he had a vision of what he wanted the finished Jeep to look like, so kept things plain and simple. A little body work and spot detailing (black washing the cowl vents) was all that really went into the body other then the Testors rattle can white.

Rolling_chassis_and_body.thumb.jpg.478b2Bodywork.thumb.jpg.814f24aabb9eff6b5ada6Black_washing_cowl_vents.thumb.jpg.0d953

He fought with the body/chassis mating; actually ended up removing the mounting posts for the rear bumper to keep things visually parallel. This is where he is currently. A few more small details and he's ready to get it muddy.

Body_and_chassis_joined.thumb.jpg.132c16Ready_to_complete.thumb.jpg.85088251655a

Edited by The Fisherman

He appreciates the kudos.............and I appreciate the tips!

Sledsel - I had to chuckle when I saw what he came up with to fill the unused holes in this thing. Guess he only ever saw me work with 1:1 tools and didn't switch the gears to go smaller for a fractional sized repair. 

When asked if he was going to do another build after this one is finished, he said, "Well, I have all those cars in the pictures around my room. I think it would be pretty cool to make a model to match each one of them to put underneath." He has old 18x24(s) of Z/28's, Shelby Mustangs, GTOs, etc. (It's a shame........he comes from a Mopar home.)

Wow... doing great.

Here is a hint of a trick I use. Keep those credit type cards that come in the mail, they make great squeegees for applying filler. I cut them into 1 inch long by 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide strips. Use once, discard

I do the same thing with my expired cards, and old drivers license, and everytime I can find them I pick up those AOL discs for mixing palettes, you can keep them pretty clean for a long time using a single edge razor blade to clean off the left over fillers or glues.

Get him a couple of the new kits from Revell that are super snap kits, with some detail painting they come out pretty good, and he can get some of them in both painted and unpainted versions, just for shelf builds I picked up the black ZL-1, Camaro, and the glue promo ZL-1 from Round2, and a friend who is a painter in a local collision repair shop gave me about a pint of water base Synergy Green they had left over from painting a newer Mustang in that color. Those kits should give him some newer intermediate kits to hone his skills on, but it doesn't appear he needs to much before he's going to start helping others out.

Wow... doing great.

Here is a hint of a trick I use. Keep those credit type cards that come in the mail, they make great squeegees for applying filler. I cut them into 1 inch long by 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide strips. Use once, discard

First, nice build, Kudos to you both. In regards to the tools used, I did the same thing at his age, growing up in a family of shade tree mechanics, I applied what was going on in the 1:1 world to what I had on the bench.

Secondly, in regards to the quote, I use those promo credit cards as blanks to make guitar pics, and only recently had it dawn on me that they are suitable for use when building.