Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fotki or Photobucket?

I use both also.

I use Fotki more for cataloging my stuff & Photobucket more for posting, although either one will work fine.

I find that Photobucket can be very "glitchy" on occasion.

I have problems getting things done on there quite often.

Steve

Me too. I use Photobucket because it's free. I tried Fotki when it was free and my preference was Photobucket. However, Photobucket tends to freeze up on my computer, Or my computer will say "Internet Explorer has stopped working", and I've even had my Norton say that it had blocked an attack on my computer while I was on Photobucket. I'm using Windows 7 with Internet Explorer. I still use Photobucket, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem or is it my computer? Maybe someone could shed some light on the subject?

I'm the weird one, I don't like ice cream, but I do like grits.

I am very nearly done with Photobucket. I've been using it since it was brand new. Early adopter and all. But now it will not work unless I tell my adblocker not to block it. Photobucket is running scripts and programs now that abound in pop-ups. Usually within a minute or so of my uploading new pics to it, it locks up completely. And of course, when it locks up it locks up my browser.

Pretty fed up with the site now.

It was bad enough over the last few years that they fussed and fussed with the interface to force you to "hover" the mouse and guess where links were hiding. And the fact that user sharing is entirely secondary to PB trying to convince me to use all their other services, such as printing.

Yep, pretty fed up. If someone wants to sell me on this other site Fotki, go at it. I'm listening.

Me too. I use Photobucket because it's free. I tried Fotki when it was free and my preference was Photobucket. However, Photobucket tends to freeze up on my computer, Or my computer will say "Internet Explorer has stopped working", and I've even had my Norton say that it had blocked an attack on my computer while I was on Photobucket. I'm using Windows 7 with Internet Explorer. I still use Photobucket, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem or is it my computer? Maybe someone could shed some light on the subject?

I'm the weird one, I don't like ice cream, but I do like grits.

Those are exactly the "glitchy" problems that I was talking about.

Sometimes it freezes up my computer so bad that I have to shut it down & re-boot.

I'm using Windows 10 with Firefox & I'm having exactly the same issues as you are

I have had absolutely "zero" problems like this with "any" other website.

So I have to conclude that it's Photobucket & not my computer.

Steve

Flickr and PB

There are "scale model" photo groups on Flickr...haven't seen them on PB yet.

I do occasionally have problems with the way PB handles the forced ads on the free accounts...the pop-ups/forced new window ads tend to cause computer issues while on the PB site till I close them.

Edited by blunc
added text

Yeah, but you guys also elected Stuart Smalley as you senator, so... :P

Low blow Harry!!

You can rest assured that I had nothing to do with that! ^_^

Don't forget, we also had Jesse "The Body" Ventura for a governor for a term!

And Ross Perot won this state in '92.

I'll be the first to admit, Minnesota has more than their fair share of goofballs!

I'm a South Dakota transplant, so I take no responsibility! ;)

Steve

There are many photo hosting sites out there.  I originally started on Imageshack.us. It was free, then they went subscription-only and I declined, so I lost access to my photos and moved on.  I went with Photobucket.

One thing that bugs me about all the websites is the fancy coding on the webpages.  I miss the really simple Web interface with just plain HTML. No fancy flash pull-down menus and other silly BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH which makes it slower to navigate the pages and extract links for the photos. I don't need all that bloat - just give me a simple page with bunch of thumbnails and links to the photos.

I need to learn more about these services. How to use them. And how to post pictures here using them. I'm a bit of a Luddite when in comes using computer technology. There is a lot of stuff out there that I'm assured is easy to do. Yet I can't seem to figure them out. Half the time, I don't even know where to start.

I've been using Fotki for probably 15 years.  I have two accounts, one for myself and one  TSSMCC / NNL East account.  I don't mind paying for something that works right and I use every day.  When I think of Photo Bucket, my first thought is all those pictures of a cat on the board where you freebie guys all have run out of band width.  That's really poor.  

I used Fotki for about 15 years too but started migrating to Flickr a few years ago. Fotki wanted to charge too much for the 3tb I was using so I'm moving off the site.

Also Fotki lost a lot of images over the years and they moved back to Estonia a few years ago.

Flickr charges me $25 a year for a Pro account with unlimited storage which i take advantage of! Great mobile app too.

Never have liked Photobucket!

Fotki always has had the best way to organize your images.

unfortunately, the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH helps pay for the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that most sheeple want for free.

why not pine for the simple command line interface...?

Now you are just getting silly.   Streamline the bloat!  Don't get me started.

I've been using Fotki for probably 15 years.  I have two accounts, one for myself and one  TSSMCC / NNL East account.  I don't mind paying for something that works right and I use every day.  When I think of Photo Bucket, my first thought is all those pictures of a cat on the board where you freebie guys all have run out of band width.  That's really poor.  

Usually, it's not a problem of running out of bandwidth, though it occasionally is. In most cases, it's because the original PB link was deleted or moved (thereby changing the link), perhaps refiled in another album. As Harry mentioned, he's been using free PB with a large amount of material for over 20 ears and no problems.

Edited by sjordan2

unfortunately, the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH helps pay for the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that most sheeple want for free.

why not pine for the simple command line interface...?

I don't mind ads to make up for me using the site for free. But when the site because unusable because it LOCKS UP THE FREAKING COMPUTER, and forces me to either go to the task manager, or go make a sandwich and read a book while my PC overcomes it's conniption fit, your site has issues. If someone with decent computer skills finds your service difficult to manage and organize, you have issues. When you are a photo sharing site, and intentionally make it an obstacle course to post pictures hosted on your site, you have issues.

Yeah, I'm really about done with P-bucket, and I was a very early adopter.

I don't mind ads to make up for me using the site for free. But when the site because unusable because it LOCKS UP THE FREAKING COMPUTER, and forces me to either go to the task manager, or go make a sandwich and read a book while my PC overcomes it's conniption fit, your site has issues. If someone with decent computer skills finds your service difficult to manage and organize, you have issues. When you are a photo sharing site, and intentionally make it an obstacle course to post pictures hosted on your site, you have issues.

Yeah, I'm really about done with P-bucket, and I was a very early adopter.

I don't get it. Are we talking about the same PB? Because I've been using it for many years and have never had a problem.

If I can use PB without a problem, but PB causes you endless problems, that to me suggests that the problem isn't PB. Because if PB was the problem, both of us would be having the same issues.

Maybe your problems are based on using an out of date web browser that can't handle PB? Just a thought.

I don't get it. Are we talking about the same PB? Because I've been using it for many years and have never had a problem.

If I can use PB without a problem, but PB causes you endless problems, that to me suggests that the problem isn't PB. Because if PB was the problem, both of us would be having the same issues.

Maybe your problems are based on using an out of date web browser that can't handle PB? Just a thought.

I am a not a programmer, but I am an "advanced user" as some would consider it. My home PC is completely up to date at all times, and I use a good browser. But I cannot run PB with any sort of ad-blocking program otherwise it is impossible to get the necessary PB links to show. So I always feel like I'm going into PB "naked" as it were. And it is their ads and scripting that is the issue. Like I said, not a programmer, but I know a faulty, buggy site when I find myself on it.

I've not looked for other sites over the years out of shear laziness and the fact that I've been on Photobucket almost from the week they opened shop. And really, until I joined up here my pic sharing had dwindled. But I am fed up enough I may spend some time looking.

As for some comments along the lines of "it works fine for me", all I can say is look at the several posts in this thread and others saying essentially the same thing I am. P-bucket is on it's last legs with me. When PB went from the "hover your mouse over this blank space to make your link pop up", lots of users were confounded. I was not. I can figure out stuff like that. But when the basic process of loading pictures causes my browser to crash, and this is the only site to cause that, please don't blame ME because PB screwed the pooch.

I am a not a programmer, but I am an "advanced user" as some would consider it. My home PC is completely up to date at all times, and I use a good browser. But I cannot run PB with any sort of ad-blocking program otherwise it is impossible to get the necessary PB links to show. So I always feel like I'm going into PB "naked" as it were. And it is their ads and scripting that is the issue. Like I said, not a programmer, but I know a faulty, buggy site when I find myself on it.

I've not looked for other sites over the years out of shear laziness and the fact that I've been on Photobucket almost from the week they opened shop. And really, until I joined up here my pic sharing had dwindled. But I am fed up enough I may spend some time looking.

As for some comments along the lines of "it works fine for me", all I can say is look at the several posts in this thread and others saying essentially the same thing I am. P-bucket is on it's last legs with me. When PB went from the "hover your mouse over this blank space to make your link pop up", lots of users were confounded. I was not. I can figure out stuff like that. But when the basic process of loading pictures causes my browser to crash, and this is the only site to cause that, please don't blame ME because PB screwed the pooch.

While I really don't like the PB user interface (including the fact that they use Flash to provide links to the photos), I have no problems with the site or with getting the links to the photos.

I am still using Win XP, Seamonkey (an oddball browser based on Mozilla, like Firefox), Older Java 1.7U51, Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300, NoScript AddOn, and my AdBlocker is active (as you can see by the sad puppy picture on the right side).

While I really don't like the PB user interface (including the fact that they use Flash to provide links to the photos), I have no problems with the site or with getting the links to the photos.

I am still using Win XP, SeaMonkey (an oddball browser based on Mozilla, like Firefox), Older Java 1.7U51, Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300, NoScript AddOn, and my AdBlocker is active (as you can see by the sad puppy picture on the right side).

PB1_zps36zd6577.png

Edited by peteski