Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

3 hours ago, Codi said:

Pete, nice to hear from you and completely concur with your thoughts on tools.  One could have the best of the best but it truly comes down to the person using them.  There are certainly many builders who don't have access to such tools but still turn out just stunning results.  Just takes longer from my experience.  Thanks too!

One of the very best builders I have ever known, Dave Abell, built cross-legged, on his living room floor. He drilled holes with an Xacto knife, and painted virtually everything with those cheap water based craft paints, from Walmart. He built a Caterpillar that nearly won Salt Lake, in 1990. The hard-facing he did on the blade, and the ripper was astonishing! I just saw it in an old issue of SAE, a couple of weeks ago (GSL coverage). Sadly, I believe he's gone, now.

Tim.... I do not know what to say other than you made my jaw drop on the floor and am having a hard time picking it up. This engine is so impressive with all of the work that has gone into it so far. I absolutely love it. Hands down has to be one of the best builds out there. Keep up the awesome work on this. Can't wait until your next update.

Hey Dave, dropped you an email.  Thanks for checking it out!  cheers

Chris, hope things are coming along for you on your next build(s).  We're still anxious to see what's percolating.  btw, we just got another G.Shepard pup.  Stella, 8 weeks old.  She's a keeper and puts a smile on my face every day even though I really didn't want another dog.  Hope you find your next pup soon!  Thanks too for the sentiment.  As slow as this build has been, I get a bit fatigued from it.  I know you know. 

RANDY!  nice to hear from you, period.  I've got to call you sometime to get caught up and I trust all is well.  Your comments are a bit too much but I know they're sincere. Thank you. 

Barry, well, I've actually thought of just donating it to their museum if they'd want this one.  As you've probably figured out already, I'm so slow at this point but it will get done.  The trans is almost assembled/detailed.  Like the rest of it, it's tedious in nature. I'll share some of the assembly tricks / challenges I used to assemble it when I post pics next week.  Some of Mooneyez tips were helpful and I'll be sure to point those out too.

Art, nice to hear from you too as always.  I do miss what you've been working on as of late..........anything you'd share?      Cheers fellas! Tim

4 hours ago, Codi said:

Art, nice to hear from you too as always.  I do miss what you've been working on as of late..........anything you'd share?      Cheers fellas! Tim

Tim, thanks for asking! Lately I have been working on re-launching and re-branding my online store, so bench time has been a bit low. Check it out at SCALEPROSHOP.COM if you get a chance.

I really want to get back on the brass midget, but I had some short-term things come up that weren't in my "queue", that I ended up spending time on anyway. It turns out they are my only two completions in a year's time, so I'm glad I did them, even though they disrupted my long-term plans. Right now I'm just doing some work on other people's projects, so I need to get that off my plate, then I hope to have that midget done by May. Any chance we could see this in Salt Lake in May? Sure would be awesome to see in person...

If you're interested, here's what I did last: Foose FD 100 . You might have seen this in progress: Speed Racer's Mach V

Tim....  I am a little slow at the design phase at the moment with a few things and really need to get back to the computer to finish them up. I would sure love to see your new pup Stella. I bet she is a bundle of joy. I need to consider another pup for sure. As you mentioned about getting fatigued on your build. I know that feeling all too well. You are in the home stretch and my advice would be to continue pushing thru. I know some days are just hard to get that motivation to push thru what’s needed for some of the teadious tasks. It is a great feeling knowing you are so close and seeing all of that hard work come together on your Masterpiece. Cheers!

Hey Art, posted a note to your Foose truck.  Really sharp my friend.  What's that I hear, oh it's the brass chassis midget calling your name......:D

Chris, puppies ARE fun and a bit of work too as you well know.  I'll send you a pic of her soon.  Hopefully you'll get some time to work on your drawings for the next build.  If I can be of any help when it comes to your mill, let me know.............if I can't help I know Dave sure can!!! 

Gotta mate the trans to the bell-housing next and confirm how I'm going install it in the car.  The shift lever will interfere with the installation of the seat, so............these w pics are just for mock-up of the levers and linkage.  I spent a couple days just detailing the pieces with the bolts. I used the method that Chris shared  to get the proper length of the bolts (the bolt, not including the head is .5mm in length) by drilling holes in a .5mm thick piece of plastic, inserted the bolts, cut them off from below, super glued them and finally sanded them down.  Chris documented it beautifully on his Vega Funny.  The trickiest part was installing the tiny bolts after cutting them down.  No tweezers will do, so I took a steel scribe that has a sharp point and was magnetized. I picked each up and positioned them into their respective holes and then super glued them from the back side.  Hopefully it makes sense.  Another day or so and this thing will be done.  btw, the entire trans is 5/8" in length.   Cheers, tim

image.thumb.png.0f8bdac3f5c2c5f1cf3415c742ff547d.png

image.thumb.png.b0036a21b40aa7fd26429db3dc0f4501.png

Edited by Codi

Holy Moly.... Look at that Beautifu eye candy :wub::wub:... Tm that is some gorgeous work of art. It just looks killer. So glad to see you making progress with this. I can't wait to see what you surprise us with next.  I am hoping to get some design time in the next few days for the next build. You know I will be asking you and Dave questions when I get to that point...lol

tim, i want my spare trans back...... NOW!....hehe, oohhhhhh, it's only 5/8" long.

my goodness that's pretty!!!!!!  ALWAYS amazed at your work.

guys,...... i'm never too busy if you need something. sorry i've been a recluse lately but, the big girl is keeping me busy. soooo much fun. not enough time in a day.

On 12/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, Codi said:

Hey Art, posted a note to your Foose truck.  Really sharp my friend.  What's that I hear, oh it's the brass chassis midget calling your name......:D

Thanks, Tim! Yes, it's on the brain more than ever right now.

That trans is magic, by the way, but what's new... ;):D

Got the trans detailing completed & a few mock-up pics and you'll note the bolt that fell out that secures the shifter.....I left it off for assembly purposes.                  To all that celebrate it..........MERRY CHRISTMAS.........and a Happy New Year!   Cheers, Tim

image.thumb.png.d0add4a6687b290df1dbc5376aa010df.png

The entire trans is 1 1/8" long.

image.thumb.png.b85f33e68a13f3dace015409103b1a87.png

image.thumb.png.cd6110e4c4c797ca3fa24414efed0b33.png