Model Cars Magazine Forum

TRULY RAREST OF THE RARE 1/25 MUSCLE CAR KITS OF ALL TIME

Whose idea on the tail lights on the hood? That is the easiest problem to fix. The 1969 AMT kits seemed elusive. I missed them in 1969 but found 3 new ones  in a store in Oldtown , ME in the '70s.

Not mine, of course. And they are REALLY on there. Tried to pry/cut them off with Xacto this afternoon, all I did was break off the corners. If the little razor blade saw won't do the trick, I might have to take silicone molds of them in place and then file them away.

I'll look for it.  I know I was working on a Shelby DeMexico out of the AMT 69 Mach1 but I think the roof for it cam from the Revell funny car kit.

Rex, top arrived today and it is a perfect fit!  Thanks!  I owe you big time.  I now have a full kit to build my first car. 

• 2 weeks later...

MPC '67 Firebird kit was pretty much identical to their '68, unless they changed the interior, which I doubt. In any case, the new Revell '68 Firebird is superior in every way, except no cool clear-plastic hood.

Has anyone mentioned the AMT '66 Barracuda and '66 Impala HT yet? The AMT '66 and '67 Comet Cyclones are also ultra-rare.

Also, AMT '67 Galaxie. Everybody seems to be looking for that one.

Over the years I have been building, I have been fortunate enough to have been able to get 95% of the kits I wanted, and I have quite a few waiting in line to be built, or restored, as I am not afraid to work over a glue-bomb if I deem it restorable.

In the case of the MPC '68 Firebird, the interior was changed to the '68 Custom Interior. I have one that I bought as a glue-bomb. I was able to clean it up, and it is awaiting its turn to be rebuilt.

I have what is left of an AMT '66 Barracuda promo, which I will be able to resurrect into something decent, and I have  a '66 and 2 '67 Cyclones.

I sold off my '67 Fords.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

In the case of the MPC '68 Firebird, the interior was changed to the '68 Custom Interior. I have one that I bought as a glue-bomb. I was able to clean it up, and it is awaiting its turn to be rebuilt.

I have what is left of an AMT '66 Barracuda promo, which I will be able to resurrect into something decent, and I have  a '66 and 2 '67 Cyclones.

I sold off my '67 Fords.

I have an original '68 Firebird that's not in too horrible shape. You can see it in the "Survivors" thread.

I overhauled an AMT '66 Barracuda promo in light yellow, which satisfied my urge to have a stock '66 Cuda on my shelf, so I can leave my unbuilt MIB kit unmolested in its box. It gives me certain amount of pleasure just to own the wonderful thing. B)

Do a favor for the next person in need.  Pay it forward.

I am a firm believer in that philosophy!  Good to see others who share that approach.  Always on the look out.  It has been said that what goes around comes around.  This time it was my turn.  Thanks very much! 

I have some rare kits in my stash but most are not mint in box. I do have a few thou and plan to build them. Here is one I did open and build.

70 Grand Prix 02.JPG

70 Grand Prix Hurst SSJ a.JPG

I have had the pleasure of seeing Raoul's Grand Prix in person both as a wip and a finished model. Really outstanding build. The paint is perfect and the overall attention to detail make it a really fine standout!

I have some rare kits in my stash but most are not mint in box. I do have a few thou and plan to build them. Here is one I did open and build.

70 Grand Prix 02.JPG

70 Grand Prix Hurst SSJ a.JPG

If you're going to actually build a rare, irreplaceable kit...That's how you do it (as Simon Cowell would say)! B)

Do a favor for the next person in need.  Pay it forward.

No better words ever spoken! I have sent out a few parts and such to fellow members when they were looking for something. No problem........and no $ asked for in return. But when I was looking for some custom decals and could find no decal maker to do them for me, a fellow forum member contacted me and made me a whole sheet.........gratis, and the best I've ever seen. I NEVER expected to be on the receiving end of paying it forward, and that is all the more reason to continue trying to help anyone who is looking for something.........just because! This is a great hobby and an even greater bunch of fellow builders found on these forums! 

I'm still looking to score a 69 Cobra hardtop....

I only ever heard of this kit for the first time here a few weeks ago. Have never seen it, nor a built one, nor a box or instructions. Did this kit ever actually exist, or is it just a rumor? Anyone got a box, or a link to one?

No better words ever spoken! I have sent out a few parts and such to fellow members when they were looking for something. No problem........and no $ asked for in return. But when I was looking for some custom decals and could find no decal maker to do them for me, a fellow forum member contacted me and made me a whole sheet.........gratis, and the best I've ever seen. I NEVER expected to be on the receiving end of paying it forward, and that is all the more reason to continue trying to help anyone who is looking for something.........just because! This is a great hobby and an even greater bunch of fellow builders found on these forums! 

you just said it all perfectly. That is how I feel and it's a good feeling too. This forum is definitely filled with great people.      Jeff