Model Cars Magazine Forum

TRULY RAREST OF THE RARE 1/25 MUSCLE CAR KITS OF ALL TIME

A couple I would give half my stash for (maybe) would be a pristine '63 or '64 Pontiac Bonneville/Catalina or a '64 or '65 Olds F-85 hardtop.  I remember those from my early days and really would like to have them again.  Haven't seen either one at shows or on Ebay.

The '63 Bonneville isn't particularly hard to find.

There is an un-built convertible & several built kits on ebay right now.

The '64 Bonny is a little tougher.

The '64 Cutlass is a good one for the list for sure!

Steve

My short list encompasses the following kits:

01) JOHAN `68, `69 & `70 JAVELIN (An absolute number one draft pick)

02) MPC `69 GTO “Judge” Hardtop (not this funny reissue BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH)

03) MPC `70 Firebird Trans-Am (Please..please..please bring it back someone)

04) MPC 70 Camaro (with the FULL BUMPER  please..please..please)

05) JOHAN `69 GTX

06) JOHAN `70 AMX

07) JOHAN `68 OLDS 442

08) JOHAN `69 & '70 Rebel

09) MPC`69 Coronet R/T

10) MPC `70 Mustang 2 N 1 (orginally kite with 302 Boss or 428 Corba-Jet...would love to see it refitted with a 302 Boss and 429 Boss engine option)

11) MPC `69 Mustang 2 N 1 (351 Cleveland or 428 Cobra Jet)

12) MPC Charger R/T

I gotta feeling that we may see that one as an all new kit in the not too far distant future.  No, I don't have a crystal ball, it's just one of those cars that's been way overlooked for a long time as that was a one year deal. ;)

I sure hope so .the 67 firebird isn't easy to me to find....Chris

Edited by Nova-ss

I sure hope so .the 67 firebird isn't easy to me to find....Chris

MPC '67 Firebird kit was pretty much identical to their '68, unless they changed the interior, which I doubt. In any case, the new Revell '68 Firebird is superior in every way, except no cool clear-plastic hood.

Has anyone mentioned the AMT '66 Barracuda and '66 Impala HT yet? The AMT '66 and '67 Comet Cyclones are also ultra-rare.

Also, AMT '67 Galaxie. Everybody seems to be looking for that one.

Edited by Snake45

Haven't searched for any of these for years, but back in the 80's and early 90's when I was buying, selling, and collecting, and traveling to Toledo three times a year to the show there, I found the following were next to impossible to find:

1. 68 AMT Chevelle

2. 68 MPC Firebird

3. 64 AMT GTO

4. 66 AMT Impala

5. 61 SMP Impala

6. 64 MPC Corvette

7. 73 AMT Corvette Coupe

8. Johan 70 Rebel Machine

9. MPC 70 Trans Am

10. MPC 68 Camaro

Back in those days, I had anywhere from 3500 to 4000 kits in my basement..............and NEVER was I able to find more than one or two of the above listed at any time.

I did not see anyone mention a 69 El Cam.    I realize a 68 is close, but a real 69, that would be my 1st pick.

Good one. I wonder whatever happened to those molds. Did they update them to '70 and so forth, or did they befall some other horrid fate?

Haven't searched for any of these for years, but back in the 80's and early 90's when I was buying, selling, and collecting, and traveling to Toledo three times a year to the show there, I found the following were next to impossible to find:

7. 73 AMT Corvette Coupe

Back in those days, I had anywhere from 3500 to 4000 kits in my basement..............and NEVER was I able to find more than one or two of the above listed at any time.

Couple years ago I bought a "Corvette junkyard" off eBay for a bunch of good Sting Ray bodies, etc., and in the mix to my delight was a very nice restorable AMT '73 Vette coupe body. It had the interior, grille/bumper and taillights, but no hood. Looked high and low for a hood for over a year. Finally ended up buying a mint, unbuilt (but water-damaged box) '74 or '75 AMT Vette roadster off eBay just for that hood. Of course its chassis, engine, etc will get used too. Kinda hate to break up such a minty kit for parts, but the '73 coupe is much rarer, and I only have about the current retail price of a common new kit in the whole deal.

MPC made Firebird Trans Am kits in '69 and '71.  There was no '70 kit to my knowledge (aside from the Firebird Formula 400).   

MPC did an annual Firebird in '69, but it wasn't a Trans Am, it was a 400. Subsequent reissues included the TA hood and spoiler. If they did a TA in late '69 (the real TA was a mid-year introduction), that WOULD be a rare kit (I've never heard of or seen one).

I have to say the '69 Mustang coupe/convertible.  I wanted a coupe to build stock(my first car in Wimbledon white). I got one and paid a pretty penny for it.  The guy that sold it to me negelected to tell me that he had used the top and cast it in resin and included that.  The top of course is badly cast and warped.  :angry:  Been trying to get a complete one ever since and always out bid by a bunch!

The MPC '69 Trans-Am was a late '69 release...box art looked more like a '70 annual kit than a '69.  As for the '67 and '68, those tend to get lumped in with other kits that have been "replaced" by newer kits of the same subject. 

As for the '70 El Camino, AMT did announce one but never produced it.  They announced several other '70 annual kits that didn't appear, and a couple others that were announced didn't appear in exactly the same versions.

your list should be considered that any of your choices are all mib examples, sealed or not, but totally mint and complete......:D

Just a reminder what Ace wants here--rare KITS, not rare subject matter.

To illustrate, it's not difficult these days to get together a model of just about any kind of '67-'69 Camaro one can dream up, using common AMT and Revell kits. Original unbuilt annual '67-'69 Camaros by AMT and MPC are very rare, though.

A couple I would give half my stash for (maybe) would be a pristine '63 or '64 Pontiac Bonneville/Catalina or a '64 or '65 Olds F-85 hardtop.  I remember those from my early days and really would like to have them again.  Haven't seen either one at shows or on Ebay.

Just since Photobucket seems to be working again, here's the '64 Cutlass. Got this from eBay six or seven years ago. The bubble hood was painted and a couple of the exotic engine parts were missing, but everything else was there, unpainted and unglued. Well worth the $70 or so I paid for it.

To illustrate, it's not difficult these days to get together a model of just about any kind of '67-'69 Camaro one can dream up, using common AMT and Revell kits. Original unbuilt annual '67-'69 Camaros by AMT and MPC are very rare, though.

I couldn't actually figure out exactly he did mean with that sentence.  

" your list should be considered that any of your choices are all mib examples, sealed or not, but totally mint and complete"

Kit's we own that are mint and complete, not gluebombs, not started?  

Although I have some of the kits that have been named such as the '67 and '68 Bonnnys, '71 Cyclone, '69 Elky, '69 G.P., none of them are MIB. :P

....thanks, Richard....glad you could clarify that. I'm aware that many will jump in with thoughts and favorites they personally like, but I was starting this thread to get those valued opinions about truly RARE kits that are obscure at the best of times. muscle cars and drag cars is just the first of many topics we can discuss here,,,,the other subject matter can be discussed later. oh, by the way, your personal picks are kits that I certainly put in this category. I just banged out my 10 kits to get things rolling.....again, thanks....the Ace....^_^

I couldn't actually figure out exactly he did mean with that sentence.  

" your list should be considered that any of your choices are all mib examples, sealed or not, but totally mint and complete"

Kit's we own that are mint and complete, not gluebombs, not started?  

Although I have some of the kits that have been named such as the '67 and '68 Bonnnys, '71 Cyclone, '69 Elky, '69 G.P., none of them are MIB. :P

yeah, good point....I guess I was trying to get across the idea of true rarity still in perfect condition all round,,,a sealed example being even more scarce than an opened kit....sorry, hope this clarifies it, Steve..........the Ace....:)