Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tool Extension possibilities

With all the Sturm und Drang over the new Revell Charger not offering the Stock version first, yet there being serious hints that one will eventually appear, I am wondering what other options there might be for another "hit" off the same tool?

For that matter, I'd like to throw open the floor to all of the recent Revell tools. The Rat Roaster, the S&H Torino, '50 Merc, the blockbuster 29/30 Model A Fords. What other products could be had from these tools. I'd like to restrict the Ideas somewhat. Assume that Revell will only change Body Styles, Wheels, and the Visible parts of the engine. (Valve Covers, Intake Manifolds, Air Cleaners. Ect), as well as Hoods, and small Trim or Accessory items.

What could we ask for, given those limits. I'd like to see a Model A Phaeton, most of all, as that body has been sadly neglected in Revell's Hot Rod toolings. Both the evergreen '32's and now the new "A"s, have skipped what was for a long time the best selling body style. AS far the Torino, maybe a Malaise Era Ranchero or Wagon would be possible. The Ranchero would really be great, but I'm not sure how much support it would have from a sales standpoint. There may also be wheelbase issue that I'm ignorant of, as well.  The Merc stumps me. What else could you get out of it? the Hirohata Custom?  The Rat Roaster would also make a nice Phaeton Rod.

What ideas do you guys have? I'm eager to here of them.

Alan

How about a 68-69 or 70-71 Cyclone?  

72 Montego GT off the 75 Torino.

The Cyclones would be great, and so would the Montego GT, just not off that horrid Torino kit. 

51 Merc would be great, but with an entirely new body tool. The '49 is just too flat on the sides.

How about a '56 Chevy 2-door wagon/sedan delivery? Throw in a few speed and gasser parts and it could be built factory stock, drag stock, Modified Production, or Gasser. You could put me down for at least four or five as I'd also bash the body with '55 and '57 sheetmetal.

ETA: Forgot they also have a "new" '57. So, same thing for '57.

Edited by Snake45

I would think a '51 Merc would be a given. There has been a saturation of the '49. The back of the '51 just looks so much better, IMHO.

Yeah, Jon. Just do the back slide for the '50 ! :D

My '49 is stalled because I want the '57 Packard tail lights I have on it ...

How about a traditional custom version of Revell's excellent '40 Ford coupe?   For that matter, how much work would it take to convert it to a "40 Mercury?

For AMT's '57 Ford, since is already has a Meteor grille as a custom option, what about adding the rest of the Meteor front trim, and a set of photoetch badges for making a stock '57 Meteor?  I'd like Canadian versions of the "50 Ford, and '49 Merc, but that of course would take more work.

How about a traditional custom version of Revell's excellent '40 Ford coupe?   For that matter, how much work would it take to convert it to a "40 Mercury?

For AMT's '57 Ford, since is already has a Meteor grille as a custom option, what about adding the rest of the Meteor front trim, and a set of photoetch badges for making a stock '57 Meteor?  I'd like Canadian versions of the "50 Ford, and '49 Merc, but that of course would take more work.

For the AMT kits, how about a 58? Basics are there with the '57

51 Merc off the existing 49

67 Mustang Coupe?

I'd be happy with a new chassis and interior on many or the metal axled kits. 

How about a new '55 and '57 Nomad and '56 Bel Air hardtop.

the Bel-Air hardtops have been done in several different years and scales but there's only been one release of the Bel-Air sedan in '56 and it's been decades sinc we've seen that one, and the last sedan we saw wasn't the Bel-Air, but the middle of the road 210.

Edited by horsepower

Probably not a good idea for a model company to take advice from me, but here goes nonetheless! One easy conversion would be to get a 1974-6 Mercury Montego from the S/H kit, as there were only minor deviations from the Gran Torino. It would fit right in for a generic 70s era detective car. Another option might be a Gran Torino Elite or even a mid 70s Thunderbird or Cougar. I'm not sure how popular those would be, however. Of course I'm always up for a Ranchero and a wagon, of any year and since the chassis is already there, I wouldn't say no to a 1972 Gran Torino of any body style.

From the 1991 Ford F-250 I could see an F-150. That would pretty much be just a matter of suspension and wheel changes. A 300 inch six for it would be cool, too. Also how about a nice O.J. Bronco from the AMT F-150?

The chassis from the 1977(?) Monte Carlo from a few years ago, could probably yield a 1974 Chevelle, Cutlass, etc. One of the various Bandit Trans Ams that have come out could be turned into a base model Rockford style Firebird. It would also be nice to see a 1976 or so chrome bumper Z/28 Camaro and maybe even a lower level Berlinetta from this as well. 

I just bought a 27 T roadster body from Flintstone, but I would love to see a styrene version based on the 29, maybe a Bonneville style rather than the more modern hot rod style.

Probably not a good idea for a model company to take advice from me, but here goes nonetheless! One easy conversion would be to get a 1974-6 Mercury Montego from the S/H kit, as there were only minor deviations from the Gran Torino. It would fit right in for a generic 70s era detective car. Another option might be a Gran Torino Elite or even a mid 70s Thunderbird or Cougar. I'm not sure how popular those would be, however. Of course I'm always up for a Ranchero and a wagon, of any year and since the chassis is already there, I wouldn't say no to a 1972 Gran Torino of any body style.

From the 1991 Ford F-250 I could see an F-150. That would pretty much be just a matter of suspension and wheel changes. A 300 inch six for it would be cool, too. Also how about a nice O.J. Bronco from the AMT F-150?

The chassis from the 1977(?) Monte Carlo from a few years ago, could probably yield a 1974 Chevelle, Cutlass, etc. One of the various Bandit Trans Ams that have come out could be turned into a base model Rockford style Firebird. It would also be nice to see a 1976 or so chrome bumper Z/28 Camaro and maybe even a lower level Berlinetta from this as well. 

I just bought a 27 T roadster body from Flintstone, but I would love to see a styrene version based on the 29, maybe a Bonneville style rather than the more modern hot rod style.

I never understood why they didn't do the F150 from the F250/350 kit. The best selling truck of the day and all.

With the recent '70 Revell Cuda in 1:25 scale, I'm hoping for both a '71 conversion with gills and an AAR '70, neither of which require extensive modifications. The '71 would need an appropriate grill, taillights, and gills on the side along with proper billboards and hockey-stick striping. The AAR would need a proper hood and markings to bring it to life.

A convertible in either '70 or '71 is also not out of the realm of possibility here.

Have we heard even a whisper from Round 2 that they would creating new kits? Right now they seem perfectly content on bringing back our long lost classics, even reverse engineering the missing custom parts like they did with the '53 pickup.

With the combined molds from AMT, MPC, Lindberg, Hawk and Polar Lights, to pull from, expecting new tooling from them (that's not enhancing an existing kit) just isn't realistic. And that's not a complaint. I'm very happy with what they have been doing. 

With the recent '70 Revell Cuda in 1:25 scale, I'm hoping for both a '71 conversion with gills and an AAR '70, neither of which require extensive modifications.  The AAR would need a proper hood and markings to bring it to life.

And a 340, of course. B)