Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 nova revell > barnfind > fully detailed engine bay

crazyrichard

You have done an amazing job, Richard!!!  It looks like the Nova is going to have an equally excellent shop to reside in as well!!!  I love your work because I believe the skills to properly distress a model are as great or greater than the skills required for a glass smooth job!!!  Looking forward to more!!!:D???????

really like the detail work.

one minor issue with the detail on the master cylinder... (and only meant to be helpful...)

the whole top of the master cylinder is the lid/cover to the brake fluid reservoirs, there would be no single hole in the cover unless someone decided to mangle it for some obscure reason.

teh interwebs should be able to supply a decent reference photo.

rough start on the wooden floor , i'm keeping the seems all not exactly aligned every next row .. so it does not look too clean , all coffee stir sticks

i got fed up so i ordered my grease monkey to continue

he went out to get more floorboards with the chevy ...

he then relialized he could use the flat bed to haul more .. this reminds ME that i need to continue the flat bed , thats nowhere neir finished

now later i will put small nails in the wood and then grey / age it and rut the nails a bit , lots of work .. for the walls i first need to get some wood for the beams ..

The diorama is perfect. A little FYI, You're installing the flooring in the proper manor. Flooring joints should be no less than six inches from one another between boards. If not done properly, and it happens to be a "floating floor" , the boards can come apart. I found out the hard way.   

The diorama is perfect. A little FYI, You're installing the flooring in the proper manor. Flooring joints should be no less than six inches from one another between boards. If not done properly, and it happens to be a "floating floor" , the boards can come apart. I found out the hard way.   

thnx , i know but tbh i dd some boards before and when i will sand them and they are closer together it becomes too nice .. this will be a very old weathered building (inside) nd i have to try and make it look a bit rough ..making the joints a tad wider will actually come out better later on ...

also i want to paint it all black so inside the creases there is black , then sande the floor leaving the black in the creases and at the same time have some black in the wood .. when its bare again i want to make the remaining top layer like greyed wood ...i'm even thinking about making some floorboard a tad loos so a corner will come up a bit

and looking at very old barn picturess and tuff like that i saw some scary looking boards and hudge gaps between them :)

on my garage dio i did a wooden workbench top that was tight together .. sanded and that looked great .. on the floor again i'm thinking this is the way to go to get that old lived look , like  hundred year old wood that maybe shrunk in the years ??

and last the coffee stirrers i have / use are all qrooked and not straight o on the lenght seems there is a lot of difference in gap size

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx kerry !

after some boring work , cutting , gluing etc ..finished the floor !!

all the boards got holes in them (2 dif sizes) then i made the largest holes black inside and then stained the wood with red gloss woodstain ...

this will later on be sanded back and i will work with dif. tones .. but this stain brings all the cracks and seems to life ...

dents and inperfections i sanded in

boards not level ...

thnx joe :) lol

from this point i winged it , floor wa nice after sanding down but too dark for the light colored nova , it demanded all attention and on pictures looked even darker and the nova even lighter

after the first sand and some sigarette ashes (the black ash) rubbed all over

like said nice but to dark first i painted ome boards blue-ish ... i saw a floor recently with a few colored boards and i liked that , i figured some color like the car in the floor might be cool ?

still was not what i was after at this point i thought i would have been better off if i just greyed the wood instead of doing the woodstain but i kept at it and gave the whole floor some washes with grey wash from lavado

already looks way friendlyer color wise in comparison to the light car

i can always sand it back down and just grey the wood .. what do you guys think of this effect atm ??

thnx !

sanded back the blues and all over the floor , to leave a hint of that color .. like unce they put those boards on , sanded the floor and stained not doing a real good job sanding ...

after sanding gave it a few washes with some browns

it will get some oil stains later , maybe even a flipped over oil can with oil leaking out ? paint bucket fallen ? .. not sure yet ...

hard part will be what to do on the wood on the walls ...since the floor is like this ....i dont want a too uniform colorpalette ... maybe white painted weathered and slightly greyed ...

this got me thinking this is actually a great photobox size for models , would be cool to one like this all wood and just paint everything white , just for taking pictures of model

Edited by crazyrichard

Rich, that floor looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lovin this!!!!!!!

thnx , but it was still not what i was after .. things can go your way sometimes and just now that happened , i wanted like the aged brown wood look ...

but no mather what i put on it still was like the red-ih from the woodstain ..

i dented the floor ome more and then jut took pitch black pigment powder from vallejo ... and put a masie layer all over the whole floor ..

started brushing it in with a large soft brush , tapoed off the layer outside and did some buffing with a soft cloth ...

it came out exactly how i wanted it to look , and no that was no science ...just luck :)

outdoor shot

I really like the floor Richard. Great weathered tone. How did you cut your sticks for the floor..??

thnx ! , i started with a cutter like the plastic thing with a lever , but in the end cissors where quicker and more straight :) all the stirrers had rounded ends ...

cool thing , some coffee stir sticks are thick and all perfect and the same , these i ounce got from a guy at a company i visited talking about the stirrers @ the coffemachine saying those are great for moddeling , he handed me a half full bag ...

now these are all different , witdh , thickness , some are warped .. so i got the perfect non level boards look i was after just due to the fact they are all different :) and they are super thin , so scale wise when you see the side better then some real stick sticks ..

today i will go to a large modelstore in rotterdam city and buy some modelwood for the beams and walls .. i think i will usse the stirrers for the wall boards as well but i need special thick and quare wood for beams and such ...

Edited by crazyrichard

That is awesome Rich, your giving me ideas to do one!!!! I want something to have so I can photograph cars instead of just putting them on a table...... Hmmmmm.....

yes when i was done with the floor the thought crossed my mind to abandone the idea to use it for the nova and use it as a photobooth .. but i think i will keep it for the nova ..

my idea is to make something like this ..and then paint it all white and maybe with some light grey's so the cars would really pop ?

Love your work Richard.       regards Digby

thnx digby !!

started on the walls , cut the plastic walls to size and put the first beams on

added small woos along the bottom , top beams and used thin veneer as a base for 2 doors .

i tried cutting open the hole but that didnt work ...

ued harder woord for the doorframe

made a cross in the door and started scuffing up all the wood and beams and making it look like old beams , put holes in the wood

made wood connections with round wood on the big beams