Model Cars Magazine Forum

When did color fall out of favor?

:D

An orange K70.  Joe, so you were the guy that bought that one. 

It's brethren, the 411/412 are familiar to me too.  They ran quick and were roomy for a VW type car, but we're really thirsty.  Not the best years for VW.

I had a neighbor that drove a white K70, I remember them.

Yep.  That stuff was fairly popular.  Man, even today, occasionally a native hits on me if I have "access".  Nope, he ain't getting any of my rights.

LOL.  Good, every unit has it's go to guy.  Mine had this E-6 who had really good connections, even to higher life locals.  The pick up guy drove cool German cars too, from cooler German girls.  Bonn back then had lots of duty free channels, and what the Exchange offered could be had also in somewhat bigger bottles at a really low price.  Also world class tailors and this kind of stuff.  I had tailored suits of great material for a lot cheaper than cheap, really amazing.  Criminal?  Illegal?  Sure was fun though.

A friend of mine owned a gasthaus. One day, he asked me if I could do him a favor."Joe, you know how much I like a good steak. But, Gott, oh Gott, it's to expensive here, for sure. The Commissary has very good prices. If I give you some money, can you buy for me some T-bone and other steaks?" I told him "no problem." He pulled out a wad of twenties (400 bucks, to be exact), and said, "Great! Buy what you can with this." My friend Jim and I went to the commissary the next day. If you remember the price of meats there back in the early '80s, it was dirt cheap. We cleared out all of the steaks from the shelves, which grossly overfilled five shopping carts. The cashier gave Jim and me a really suspicious look when we were at the register. "Uh, we're having a company cookout." "Yeah, sure you are." My friend didn't sell any of the steaks at the gasthaus. He threw a huge barbeque/beer bash at his place and gave the steaks and brews away for free. 

Edited by SfanGoch

....carts full of steaks  lol.

Even more obvious than using your whole ration card all at once for smokes, read a lot of ciggies!    But the folks were appreciative, and it was a blast.  No sweat.

Still, it took a long time before the Germans were able to serve a decent steak, this cut was just not known in the normal cuisine.  Mostly though still, the taste is not nearly as good as a US style steakhouse.  My local garden style outdoor restaurant place has a decent steak, half pound, with a salad and fries goes for $16 on steak day (Wednesdays) or $22 regular.  Tender and well prepared, just the open grill taste and the special US steak taste is missing.  Meat quality is good though.

I'll do there with the wife on Wednesday with my silver Vespa, with it's Ferrari red leather seat.   Just to stay on topic.

There sure were!

colorcars_zpsb3xdeeui.jpg

Of course, Harry:  Who knows if any of the colors used on these restorations are at all accurate?   Why?  Because paint chips for cars much earlier than 1928-29 are scarce, if not non-existent.   Many illustrated advertisements showed cars in colorized images, which is true--but were they at all accurate?   (Color photography at anything like we know it now, didn't come about until circa 1940, give or take a year or two. Case in point here: Most contemporary photos and film footage show mosty cars and trucks painted in rather dark, muted colors aswell.  Of course, with the cars you've shown pictured here, they are not your "run-of of the mill" mass produced cars--they are for the most part, luxury cars, some even with custom coachwork--and I believe a majority of those, save for the two Kissel's, were probably much darker colors when first built.

Art

National Geographic was publishing colour photos in the 1930's, but magazines were printed in colour, and there were ads with colour illustrations that gave you some idea what the manufacturers were offering, and it does seem that people went a little nuts with colour when Duco became available.   It wasn't just cars, either.  Check out this typewriter ad from 1927.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/0e/99/750e99acc01246556f47a711d28488b3.jpg

The late '20s saw the emergence of what came to be known as "Industrial Design"  and the realization that consumers didn't just want their machines to work well, but had to look good too. 

Edited by Richard Bartrop

I was at the dealership today to get an oil change before work and they did have a bunch of silver, white, black, and grey vehicles on the lot, but there were Challengers and a 4dr Wrangler in the new B5 blue, a bright red Hellcat and Grand Caravan, Plum Crazy Charger and Wrangler, a couple Durangos in a nice shade of Maroon, a couple Jeeps in almost an Olive Drab (but darker) green, a couple current body style 200 sedans in that really nice electric blue.

Mopar does have some very interesting colors in recent years.   I've been checking out the choices on the Jeep website model configurators...

Narcissistic, attention-starved, me-monkey millennials prefer modes of transportation that provide the maximum LOOK AT ME! factor which mundane, four-wheeled appliances simply lack.

pennyfarthing.jpg

"Today I saw Chance the starving kazoo voiced artist riding his penny farthing with a basket of kale. So I lit an M80 in his mouth."

article-2654223-1EA1201500000578-481_634

c3f28ce08809aa1e16249ac1f970aee2.jpg

194a5467b5d4463b66af0146ba5ed8b8.jpg

"Today, I saw 36yo Harrison hopping on his pogo stick to go buy sustainable locally brined pickles. So I suplexed him onto the Belt Pkwy."

:P  :D

Put Numpty there on that pogo stick on the Belt at rush hour. That'll be REAL good sport.

Charlie Larkin

194a5467b5d4463b66af0146ba5ed8b8.jpg

"Today, I saw 36yo Harrison hopping on his pogo stick to go buy sustainable locally brined pickles. So I suplexed him onto the Belt Pkwy."

:P  :D

Something about this photo looks Photoshopped to me.  For one, there is no shadow on the street. Then I don't know how far this guy can bounce over the cobblestones without the pogo-stick getting wedged in a gap between them.