Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/16

I'm wondering and would like to see some information and photos on AMT's 1/16th scale model cars. How many kits were offered? When and why did AMT start offering kits in this scale? How was the level of detail? Did they all have the same basic features, like opening doors? What was the good and bad of these kits? We need a list of what was made by AMT in with scale.

Below is a list of what I believe was offered. In some cases I had some of them, so I know for sure those exist.

1955 Ford Thunderbird *

1957 Ford Thunderbird *

1965 ('64 1/2?) Ford Mustang 2-door coupe

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 2-door hardtop

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible

1955 Chevrolet Nomad 2-door wagon

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 2-door hardtop

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible

1957 Chevrolet Nomad 2-door wagon

* I've owned these 2 for sure at some point.

Those are the ones I remember. I don't know if that's a complete, or even correct list. The Thunderbirds, especially the '55, I'd love to see reissued. We know the Mustang was reissued just a couple of years ago, for Mustang's 50th anniversary. And I beleive they've announced the '55 Nomad is coming back soon.

Edited by unclescott58

I have the '57 Chevrolet BelAir kit, it appears to be a stock version of the 1/25 with the exception of the opening doors.  There is an added set of mag wheels as well as some wiring and hoses for detail work.  I have also acquired a Corvette fuel injection for this motor so there was definitely a 1/16 Corvette kit, can't remember if it was a '57 or a '63.

I believe there was no '57 HT and no '55 Convertible - please correct me if I'm wrong.

30 years ago, I bought two of them each and made a '55 Convertible in cutting off the roof from the HT and re-attached it onto the '57 convertible to get a '57 Hardtop so that would result in having HT, Convertible and Nomad of both years.

I believe there was no '57 HT and no '55 Convertible - please correct me if I'm wrong.

30 years ago, I bought two of them each and made a '55 Convertible in cutting off the roof from the HT and re-attached it onto the '57 convertible to get a '57 Hardtop so that would result in having HT, Convertible and Nomad of both years.

The '55 and '57 each came in 2 door hardtop, convertible and nomad.

MPC did a 1/16 scale '57 'Vette as I have one. The original kit came with working lights but I have the later issue that excluded those. Looks to be a bigger version of the 1/25 scale '57-------incorrect side cove and all.

Scott of the AMT ones you mentioned, I have among the following.............

'55 T-Bird---One built and one never touched in the box

'57 T-Bird---Never touched in the box

'57 Chevy Convertible---Never touched in the box, but has a warped windshield frame (common with those).

'64½ Mustang (OK really a '65)---Never touched this one, but I did swap out the incorrect WWW's and tires and put those in my MPC '57 'Vette kit which oddly enough, doesn't have those.

When the '55 Nomad is reissued, I definitely want one of those as I built one many years ago (Mid '80's), and really liked how it went together. I really wish they'd find both the '55 T-Bird, and the '57 Nomad. Why no kit maker has touched the '55 'Bird as a regular scale glue kit is a mystery to me. I finally got impatient years ago and made one myself backdating Monogram's 1/24 '56, but it sure would be nice if someone would tool up a modern kit of one. 

BTW, my only gripe with those 1/16 scale kits from AMT is that when they're built up, they seem a bit "empty". See through inner fenders and wheelwells, gaps on the chassis sides, etc. They really do lend themselves though to some very thorough detailing, and look fantastic when done right. ;)

EDIT: I want to add that I find it funny that all of sudden, I see '55 Nomads coming out of the woodwork on eBay. Guess the sellers got wind that the kit's going to be reissued very soon, and they want to cash in before values drop like a stone..............as well they should! :D

Edited by MrObsessive

They also offered :

-1979 Pontiac Trans-Am 10th anniversary : Looks like a bigger 1:25. Some extra detailing (separated fuel tank, real front springs) and opening doors, but nothing more difficult than a 1:25. Except, and you shouldn't underestimate that, the body fit and finish. It will require a lot of sanding/putty to look great. At least proportions are good. And the siler 10th Anniversary are great. That kit started as a MPC, but has been sold with a AMT box art.

-1981 Pontiac Turbo Trans-Am : Very similar to the 1979, except for Turbo motor and black tinted (toy-like) glass. MPC only, no AMT.

-1978 Corvette 25th Anniversary. MPC later sold as AMT. Don't know much about.

MPC also released a 1:16 1988 Corvette roadster (nice), 1982 Pontiac Trans-Am, 1984 Corvette.

The MPC 1/16 scale cars keep coming up here. About two months ago I got MPC's last reissue of the '63 Sting Ray coupe. It's a very nice kit. One of my all time favorites. But still, I'm interested in learning more about the AMT 1/16 kits. I'd love to see some build ups and reviews if anybody out there has them. Especially the T-birds. But, I'd love to everything else in that scale by AMT too. (And if a few MPCs, or others slip in. I wouldn't object too much.)

I had the 57 Coupe when I was a teenager and thought it was a good kit.  It came with some nice Cragar S/S wheels. Did it in black with a red interior and only remember having one issue with fit - I had to shave a lot of plastic off the bottom rear of the body to get the bumper to fit properly.

I also had built the MPC 63 vette and used the spare dual quad intake setup that came with it on the 57. These were the only two models that I kept after moving out on my own.

Edited by oldscool

Got them all way back then in the 70s & 80s, not the best but pretty easy to get together, that's what I thought back then:P 

AMT launched the 1/16 series back in 1976-77 (55 & 57 Chevies), 1978 (55 & 57 Thunderbirds), Mustang cpe was the last in 1979 (very bad front A arms! + read that a convertible was also planned back then  but AMT was in bad financial situation :MATCHBOX takeover era), the 1/16 series was to compete with MPC & Revell 1/16 car kits. AMT choose to make those kits pretty basic, to get a  bigger chunk of the younger modeler market, compared to MPC or Revell, the parts count was a bit lower & the level of detail & accuracy passable but not terrible for such  large scale car kits: FRONT metal axle for front wheels!!!! (no steerable front wheels?) opening doors yes but not fitting perfectly, no opening trunks? (except for nomads kits), HUGE sparkplugs /hoses vinyl wiring, not the best compared to other 1/16 scale, but the subjects (classic darling cars) were very well chosen, 2 in 1 for all kits included factory stock or typical "70s street machine" optional parts: mags, engine parts,,etc. the series continued in the 80s under Matchbox & later ERTL takeover. In the 90s many kits were discontinued but a few like the 57 Chevy Convertible, the 64 Mustang & the  55 nomad (reissued in original 70s boxart in limited edition back in 1995/96), made it thru the 90s.

I would REALLY, REALLY like if somehow, someway Round 2 could see fit to get the molds for that '55 T-Bird, and reissue that. I didn't know that the '55 and '57 'Birds were intro'd at the same time. I thought the '57 T-Bird came out later, and AMT had changed the molds on the '55 to make it----------thus why we've never seen that one reissued. 

At least I HOPE that's not the case!

I also hope that if they reissue the '57, they find a better way to package that one. EVERY one I've ever seen always has a bent windshield frame including the one I have. I can fix it, but others less skilled may not be able or want to do so.

Bill I have two of the 55 Ford Birds. One belonged to my late brother is the older AMT box and the one I picked up on EBAY is the Matchbox version. No date on the AMT box but the Matchbox/AMT box has a  1979 date . I have a 57 that is in the same style old Amt box and it has a 1979 date also. 

I also have an AMT NASCAR Thunderbird kit in 1/16 is this an old MPC kit ? 

I also have an AMT NASCAR Thunderbird kit in 1/16 is this an old MPC kit ? 

The 1/16 NASCAR T-Bird and Pontiac Grand Prix kits were tooled by ERTL after they acquired AMT.  They are among ERTL's earliest efforts, but even so, they are quite toylike.  I've got one of the Grand Prix, was thinking about doing some fixes using a Monogram 1/24 GP to check proportions and measurements.  I doubt I'll ever get to it though.

I built the 57 T-bird in the early 2000s for friends mom, it was silver with a red interror. It went together easily but I agree with the other poster that said they are a bit empty. It came with a hose for sparkplug wires but could have done with much more detail, it was like a small kit blown up.

I have bought most of the 1'16 Scale kits from AMT, MPC, and Revell, which did a rare '82 Camaro Z28 Coupe, which I still have, even though I turned it into a phantom Convertible (bad move, decent result), and an '82 Firebird, which is still in my display. I have a couple of the AMT '64 1/2 Mustangs, one I built back when it was originally issued, and an un-built one with a crushed A pillar. I would love to correct the angle of the windshield pillars. I suspect that either the roof is too short, or the doors are too long. If I tackle this one, I am going to use an AMT ;66 coupe to base my measurements on, and scale it up to the 1,16 scale model.

I have bought most of the 1'16 Scale kits from AMT, MPC, and Revell, which did a rare '82 Camaro Z28 Coupe, which I still have, even though I turned it into a phantom Convertible (bad move, decent result), and an '82 Firebird, which is still in my display. I have a couple of the AMT '64 1/2 Mustangs, one I built back when it was originally issued, and an un-built one with a crushed A pillar. I would love to correct the angle of the windshield pillars. I suspect that either the roof is too short, or the doors are too long. If I tackle this one, I am going to use an AMT ;66 coupe to base my measurements on, and scale it up to the 1,16 scale model.

hiya Ron,

I would love to see pictures of the 82 camaro and firebird.where they Revell kits?....thank you Chris

hiya Ron,

I would love to see pictures of the 82 camaro and firebird.where they Revell kits?....thank you Chris

I will have to take pictures of the Firebird, which is the only one in my display at this time. I have also built the '83 Camaro Berlinetta, and the '85 Camaro Iroc Z, which were all Revell 1/16 kits. I liked building them.

I've had four of the ones on your list: 57 Chev nomad; 57 Chev convert; 55 Chev Hardtop; 55 Chev convert. Here some pic's of the 57 Nomad. I haven't started it yet, but right out of the box, I noticed that the stainless trim on top of each of the quarters is too short—Something in between that of a 150 or 210 model and the Bel Air. Confusing, as they had it right on all of their other 57 offerings. I'll see if I can dig up the others in my stash.