Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 '64 Plymouth Belvedere Lawman Modified Reissue

SteveG

Here's a quick look at Round2's latest release of the Lawman 64 Plymouth Belvedere which just arrived at my door a few hours ago.  I've been waiting about nine years for it. The original proposal came from Bill Coulter during a discussion at iHobby 2008 with Ernie Petit and myself on how the Lindberg line-up could be expanded.  The build up by Bill and the late Tom Creeger was displayed the following year as a 2010 release.   The fact that Tom's not around to see it happen make it bittersweet for me and no doubt for Bill too as they were close.   Kudos to John G. and the gang at Round2 for seeing this through.

04494376964404-vi.jpg

43494377003164-vi.jpg

09494376969944-vi.jpg

19494376979362-vi.jpg

Here's all the new parts that were added.  The only thing holding this back from being a true 2N1 kit a set of stock or street machine tires.  All the other stock V8 version parts are still in there.  

47494377007657-vi.jpg

13494376973263-vi.jpg

28494376988189-vi.jpg

33494376993928-vi.jpg

51494377011953-vi.jpg

With all the new parts now included I can see plenty of Drag and street machine possibilities using different decals sets and or tires.  Thanks again Round2 !!!

Available now at your favorite Hobby retailer .....

Steve

Glad to see this kit come to fruition, and kudos to Round2 for spelling "Torq Thrust" correctly, too. :D I like how the faux-retro AMT style packaging worked out as well, and I don't forsee a ton of folks pining for the '90s-era Lindberg packaging to return...ever. Nice decal sheet, too. :)

Bill, You might be correct about the scoops, but I withhold judgment until I have the kit in my hands. Given the level of effort put into this kit, I'm not sure that there is much chance that an error would not have been found and then not fixed.

But, We'll just have to wait and see.

Neither one of the hood scoops in the kit look anything like what was on the Max wedge or Hemi cars back then

As far as I know the divided scope matches what was used on the build up by Bill at Tom.  I don't know it's original source.  The other hood scoop was beyond the original proposal, it may match a different S/S Plymouth that could be a future release. 

-Steve  

I was all ready to buy this yesterday at Hobby Lobby. I had my 40% coupon in hand, looked it over and was heading to the checkout when I noticed the price, $39.99, really!! After I returned it to the shelf I got to looking at the price of all the other kits. A $29.99 kit that was $23 at the hobby shop and they all were priced like this. Even the special price kits that they had in the close out area were priced at 30% off of their list price that was already $4 to $5 more than the hobby shops in the area. It would seem that they are no longer a good buy even with their coupon since they mark them up so much going in.

The divided scoop for the Max wedge looks a bit to narrow but it might be the camera angle ? The other scoop looks narrow also but is for a later model (hemi?) definitely not the 64Hemi scoop.

I would be interested in the engine options in this kit Max Wedge, Hemi both ?

Engine choices are the Max Wedge or the stock Commando 426, could pass for a 383 I suppose.  The slant six parts were dropped from this issue to make way for Super Stock parts.   These photos are from my "stock" Box Art build ups for the 2006 Model King release which to me was never a true factory stock model because of the bucket seats which weren't offered in the Belvedere to the best of my knowledge. 

Regardless I still consider these kits to be probably the best and most successful from Lindberg along with the 64 Dodges.

IM012979-vi.jpg   

Ok,fellow modelers,correct me if I'm wrong but this looks to have been a simple task of taking the two different style scoops and the slicks from the two '64 Dodge kits,tooling the mags,and doing up the decal sheet.Otherwise it's the '64 Plymouth kit.What would have taken 6 years for this kit to show up?

I too saw that $39.99 price at Hobby Lobby.Ouch.

When the Hobby Lobby stores around here do a clearance the kits are priced at 40% off-just like having a coupon.

Edited by ZTony8

Ok,fellow modelers,correct me if I'm wrong but this looks to have been a simple task of taking the two different style scoops and the slicks from the two '64 Dodge kits,tooling the mags,and doing up the decal sheet.Otherwise it's the '64 Plymouth kit.What would have taken 6 years for this kit to show up?

I too saw that $39.99 price at Hobby Lobby.Ouch.

When the Hobby Lobby stores around here do a clearance the kits are priced at 40% off-just like having a coupon.

Nothing new was tooled up for this kit until Round2 green lighted the project again about two years but I've been waiting almost nine years.   Not counting the tires and decals I counted forty new individual parts added.   According to Harry's post below it can be had for under $25.00 plus shipping.  You'll have to decide for yourself if it was worth the wait and or price.

-Steve

I wonder why this is not a 2-in-1 kit? With the stock parts for those of us who like that kind of thing. This is not a major problem me, for I have an earlier issue of this kit in my "someday build" pile. But if I didn't, I'd still be passing on this one. Because it can be built only as drag car. That's what was nice about the 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 kits. I got to pick on how I wanted the car to be. This kit is going to be a hit. But, would it be a bigger hit with the option to build it stock?

Engine choices are the Max Wedge or the stock Commando 426, could pass for a 383 I suppose.  The slant six parts were dropped from this issue to make way for Super Stock parts.   These photos are from my "stock" Box Art build ups for the 2006 Model King release which to me was never a true factory stock model because of the bucket seats which weren't offered in the Belvedere to the best of my knowledge. 

Regardless I still consider these kits to be probably the best and most successful from Lindberg along with the 64 Dodges.

Steve your right. I was just over at the Hamtrack Registry website looking that the 1964 Plymouth features and equipment book. And your right. The origin "stock" version of this kit can not be build stock because of the bucket seats. In '64, on the full-size Plymouths, bucket seat were only available as standard equipment on the Sport Fury. Fury, Belvedere, and Savoy models all came with bench seats. Now is possible that some Belvedere hardtops were built with buckets despite what the book says? Stranger things have happened.

All 1964 Hemi light weights had bucket seats MOST of them were just a plain old Belvedere. I've heard rumors of a Fury Hemi car ,,but never seen proof its exists then or now.

I bought this kit from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon . To be honest expecting a full decal sheet to do the red/bronze color on the car. I was really disappointed and am REEEEEEALY  glad I didnt pay full price .

Nothing on the instructions to assist as to what color to spray the car to resemble the original car to match the lettering like on the 1/1 . Then I saw  the hood scoops, and wonder why  tool up new scoops only to get them so wrong ( and they ARE NOT the same scoops thats  in any other version of the 1964 Lindberg Dodge / Plymouth lineup,,,at least none of the kits I have ,,,and I have a bunch of these kits in the stash )

Edited by gtx6970

This kit is going to be a hit. But, would it be a bigger hit with the option to build it stock?

I doubt it...the stock version has been reissued several times over the last 20 years or so...easy to find...and maybe the stock parts wouldn't have fit in the box...the price would have likely been higher for a full 2n1, and people would have complained about that...

I do like the the steelies and hubcaps, though...figure I'll use those on a 6 cyl one.

Edited by Rob Hall