Model Cars Magazine Forum

New added to Round 2

ranma

Hmm. I have one from the AMT '62 Ford pickup, but it's single axle and I'm saving that to build a Kenskill travel trailer. Maybe if I started with the double wheel setup from the Fireball 500 trailer, and a lot of Evergreen square tube... Anyone know the overall length of these two boats?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Like the '40 Ford nose on the Streetle, but not a big fan of that wart on its hind end. Would be so nice if they included stock front & rear lids. But I doubt that will happen.

I want to hack the whole back end off one and make a cool little mini-pickup or stakebed. Would prefer the stock VW hood but I could make it work with the '40 Ford (ish) hood too.

That trailer had onlt a Single axle in all the Ford Pickup kits, but was tandem

axle in All the Chevy Pickups from the smae time

As well as ALL later re-issues we got in the Drag, Race/Nascar, & junk (Diamond In The Rough) sets

I have that trailer from the 60 F-100 with only the 1 axle

and in the Penski race set as a Tandem

It was also tandem in the Blueprinter run

I do hope the run it again some day

The Cris-Craft/Rayston trailer would not only need a second axle, but would need to be lengthened

I believe I have the Coronado, at least parts shown of it match the Boat I have, though mine was purchased later

67-70 era, and is molded in White & Red.

I am waiting to see a review of that one to confirm that IS the boat kit I have had all these years.

The AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft trailer is different than the one in the AMT Rayson-Craft and later Hull Raiser (Kindsvater Hull) kits.   And I do agree with all that the larger boats in the Lindberg line would definitely require a dual axle trailer.  I kitbashed one for my Allison-powered race boat (using two of the trailers from the Hull Raiser kits), but even that looks too light for the Lindberg boats.  The Revell/Monogram dual axle trailer from their c.1990 Bass Boats combo kits would be closer, but would probably need to be backdated visually to look appropriate with the late 1950's/early 1960's time period of the Lindberg boats.   Finally, the trailer in the Revell Hemi Hydro kit (which was just reissued last year with a terrific new expanded decal sheet) corresponds to the wider beam of the Revell boat (based on a very early 1960's S/K design) that might better fit the Lindberg kits, depending on how close to 1/25th scale they actually are....

Here are some photos to peruse.... 

AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft boat trailer - 

AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft built in the racing version with the kit's mongrel Y Block Lincoln (valve covers)/sort-of FE engine

AMT Rayson-Craft and Hull Raiser Boat Trailer - AMT Reyson Craft with new repro Reyson Craft decals from Top End Decals (JackKSmith@comcast.net)

Revell Drag/Ski Boat/Hemi-Hydro boat trailer - Revell Hemi Hydro with R&MofMD 1963 buckets and kitbashed MEL engine based on Missing Link (Ragtop Man) 1966 Lincoln Block

AMT Hull Raiser trailer kitbashed to extended length and dual axles (using trailers from two kits) - DSC 0776

link to album with 175 photos of my 13 or so 1/25th scale ski and drag boat models.....Thanks for looking....TIM      

Nice, nice, nice. Love the boats, Tim.  I just got the Coronado today. Probably the most flash I've seen on a kit in a long time. The engraving is a little wonky in spots. I'm still a bit geeked over it though. I'll order the Owens as well. More please! Maybe a nice tailfinned ski boat

Edited by samdiego

Nice, nice, nice. Love the boats, Tim.  I just got the Coronado today. Probably the most flash I've seen on a kit in a long time. The engraving is a little wonky in spots. I'm still a bit geeked over it though. I'll order the Rayson as well. More please! Maybe a nice tailfinned ski boat

Any chance of showing us photos? I'd love see what it looks like unbuilt.

Edited by unclescott58

Well, almost unbuilt. Obviously untreed. I've glued the 3 piece hull together, those seams look like easy ones. The deck is a bit warped but that looks like an easy fix too. The very nice decals are from Cartograph and include instrument faces. 7 faces for 5 instruments, I'll figure that out when I get there,

DSCF4029.JPG

Edited by samdiego

Well, almost unbuilt. Obviously untreed. I've glued the 3 piece hull together, those seams look like easy ones. The deck is a bit warped but that looks like an easy fix too. The very nice decals are from Cartograph and include instrument faces. 7 faces for 5 instruments, I'll figure that out when I get there,

DSCF4029.JPG

Thanks for the photo Sam as now I'll definately have to pass on this one, as I already have 4 or 5 boat kits in my stash.

since we're showing boats

missbud3005.jpg

Love the Miss Budweiser, is this the 1/25 scale version? I've always wondered if the AMT chrome Allison engine would have more detail than the one in the kit, or even to use it as a diorama scene of a race day thrash to change engines, I also thought it would be interesting to have the one being replaced to be sitting in a cradle dockside with a nice inspection hole in the block and a few of the excess parts hanging out of it.

DSCF4029.JPG

thanks, gotta get me one of these

The Coronado kit does have a motor.  5 pieces with the heads, valve covers, intake and exhaust as 1 piece on the chrome tree. It doesn't match photos I've found online. The kit motor looks more like a V6.  Lots of reference available. I found one for sale for under $15,000. It listed a Gray Marine 327 V8 w/238 hp.

Yes, it's the 1/25 Miss Bud. I found it in the used pile at a friend's Hobby Shop a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to find the silk screened vinyl and most of the decals still usable 

longjohn002.jpg

als008.jpg

Edited by samdiego

The AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft trailer is different than the one in the AMT Rayson-Craft and later Hull Raiser (Kindsvater Hull) kits.   And I do agree with all that the larger boats in the Lindberg line would definitely require a dual axle trailer.  I kitbashed one for my Allison-powered race boat (using two of the trailers from the Hull Raiser kits), but even that looks too light for the Lindberg boats.  The Revell/Monogram dual axle trailer from their c.1990 Bass Boats combo kits would be closer, but would probably need to be backdated visually to look appropriate with the late 1950's/early 1960's time period of the Lindberg boats.   Finally, the trailer in the Revell Hemi Hydro kit (which was just reissued last year with a terrific new expanded decal sheet) corresponds to the wider beam of the Revell boat (based on a very early 1960's S/K design) that might better fit the Lindberg kits, depending on how close to 1/25th scale they actually are....

Here are some photos to peruse.... 

AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft boat trailer - 

AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft built in the racing version with the kit's mongrel Y Block Lincoln (valve covers)/sort-of FE engine

AMT Rayson-Craft and Hull Raiser Boat Trailer - AMT Reyson Craft with new repro Reyson Craft decals from Top End Decals (JackKSmith@comcast.net)

Revell Drag/Ski Boat/Hemi-Hydro boat trailer - Revell Hemi Hydro with R&MofMD 1963 buckets and kitbashed MEL engine based on Missing Link (Ragtop Man) 1966 Lincoln Block

AMT Hull Raiser trailer kitbashed to extended length and dual axles (using trailers from two kits) - DSC 0776

link to album with 175 photos of my 13 or so 1/25th scale ski and drag boat models.....Thanks for looking....TIM      

Tim, I like this 2 axle trailer . This is what is need edfor the re-pop Palmer boats. ANy details on how you built it

Tim, I like this 2 axle trailer . This is what is need edfor the re-pop Palmer boats. ANy details on how you built it

Bob....it's basically two of the AMT Rayson-Craft/Hull Raiser kit trailers, joined just before and just behind the axles of the two trailers....including the axles and leaf springs with both of the sections that are joined together.  

I probably have photos of how I did it, but they'd be on my old computer....and that thing is so cranky these days it is hardly even usable.  :(  

TIM  

The Coronado kit does have a motor.  5 pieces with the heads, valve covers, intake and exhaust as 1 piece on the chrome tree. It doesn't match photos I've found online. The kit motor looks more like a V6.  Lots of reference available. I found one for sale for under $15,000. It listed a Gray Marine 327 V8 w/238 hp.

Yes, it's the 1/25 Miss Bud. I found it in the used pile at a friend's Hobby Shop a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to find the silk screened vinyl and most of the decals still usable 

longjohn002.jpg

als008.jpg

Can can you show us more of the engine on Miss Budweiser. Is it an Allison? And if so, how does it compare AMT's Allison?

Can can you show us more of the engine on Miss Budweiser. Is it an Allison? And if so, how does it compare AMT's Allison?

I think a Cadillac V8 from the AMT 1949 Ford kit may be appropriate. Century used 331HEMIs and Caddy V8s

Edited by Bob Ellis
extra information

The stopped making the wooden Century Coronado in 1968 and I believe the later ones used Ford 427 FE engines. These boats are heavy, over built boats to take the power of a big V8. They easily do 40mph.I know that sounds slow, but 30mph was fast in 1960 for most common lake boats found in the waters such as Lake Winnipesaukee in the late 1950s.

The engine in the Coronado kit is decaled as a Fireball V8. That's the short block in the background of this photo. The rocker covers make it look like a Hemi V6 but the intake looks 8ish.

DSCF4031.JPG

I remember seeing Miss Bud in Detroit when I was about 11

Edited by samdiego

It's a Rolls Royce Griffon. That's an Allison sitting in front of the boat. Little similarity between the two.

One of the model aircraft manufacturers produces a 1/24 scale Spitfire with a well detailed Rolls Royce Merlin engine that the Griffon was derived from. That's about as close as we're probably going to get for a well detailed engine, but with a little research we can come up with boats that ran the Allison if that's the way you'd like to go.