Model Cars Magazine Forum

New added to Round 2

ranma

I need a couple of these Tran... er, Firebirds. :D It's just, where are the Bowling Ball wheels ?

These Diamond Spoke (Cross-lace) rims aren't correct for 1982, and I've never seen them on the original box-art. :blink:

The stock "bowling ball" wheels will be in the kit.  The "diamond spoke" wheels shown on the box art are one of the custom building options carried over from the original '82 release.   The enclosed pic is from a test shot. 

The custom wheels were chosen for the box art simply because Round2 preferred the look over the stock wheels.  

DSCN2233.JPG

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the 1/16 scale Trans Am have opening doors? I'm quite sure I built this one back in the early '80's and it, along with then new for '84 Corvette kit had opening doors and hatch. Very well done they were, and I don't remember them being terribly fiddly as I was still somewhat of a novice in this hobby back in those days.

Mike what you posted is how I remember the kit 30+ years ago. While not a bad kit at all, it looks a bit "empty" in spots and the rear seat is among those places. With some time spent detailing, these can look very nice and can hold their own with most modern tools.

Edit: And I want to add that at LEAST it still has the T-Tops! This gen Firebird/Camaro always looked their best with the glass tops. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

The stock "bowling ball" wheels will be in the kit.  The "diamond spoke" wheels shown on the box art are one of the custom building options carried over from the original '82 release.   The enclosed pic is from a test shot. 

The custom wheels were chosen for the box art simply because Round2 preferred the look over the stock wheels.  

Understandable, the stock 'bowing ball' wheels are pretty ugly...the spoked custom wheels are nicer.

The reason it looks odd is the window doesn't have the blackout trim it's supposed to have.

Agreed.  If I were building this one for myself I also would have tinted the windows as I did with the T-tops.  I think the lack of tint also contributes to the "empty" look Bill describes.  The monotone carpet/upholstery doesn't help either; the 1:1 references I had pretty much confirmed the color similarity.  I did my best (in a short amount of time) by giving the carpeting a flatter texture, but the pics don't show it.

Generally speaking, window tinting of any kind is avoided on box art stuff as it obscures interior detail.      

Edited by pack rat

Agreed.  If I were building this one for myself I also would have tinted the windows as I did with the T-tops.  I think the lack of tint also contributes to the "empty" look Bill describes.  

Generally speaking, window tinting of any kind is avoided on box art stuff as it obscures interior detail.      

I think what Bill is referring to is the lack of a back on the rear seat. In the picture it shows a piece of plastic that we're assuming is the seat, that just comes up and curls over at the to and ends there. I had to look twice since I was giving them a lot of good will thinking it might be one of those curtain type pull back covers for concealing anything in that area, and to help protect the rear carpet. But not that lucky it's just an attempt at making a cost cutting maneuver in tooling. Wonder how much it saved not having to mold a seat back?

That "empty" look is thanks in no small part to MPC's early '80s practice of omitting any sort of drip molding or window seal details on a number of kits, their F-cars, EXPs, and C4 'Vettes among the more notable examples.  Looked iffy on their 1/25 kits and really obvious on their 1/16s of the time.  Detail and parts texture would be nice elsewhere, but the bodies had a generally unfinished look.

The 1/16 'Vette had an opening hatch, but not this Firebird.  It was Revell's 1/16 F-cars that had all the opening panels.  Hatch glass was a little humped on those kits and more accurately shaped on the fixed MPC hatch.  Trying to recall if the black frit/defroster line detail was even there on the first release of this kit back in '82.  Look closely at the model and I believe you'll see a rear seat back piece curling around the side under the edge of the top surface catching all the light - I don't recall that being a hollow seat back.

The Revell 1/16s seemed physically just a bit smaller, perhaps a bit more accurately shaped overall, not quite so sharply engraved and a little overly "geometric" in the dirty bits, but they had window seal/gasket detail.  I I r c, The one thing the MPC '82 Firebird kits caught that neither Revell nor Monogram did in theirs was that little flaring aero piece just ahead of each front wheel at the rocker level on both sides.

Well, if I ever bought and built this one again, I'd have to do SOMETHING with those door jambs! That's one of the main "empty" areas that jumps out at me big time! I understand that MPC didn't want to spend too much time in this area, but it's one of those detail omissions that drives me crazy as it's so far off the 1:1's appearance.

Nevertheless, the body shape looks spot on to me as MPC was very good at getting those F-car's shapes correct.

Well, if I ever bought and built this one again, I'd have to do SOMETHING with those door jambs! That's one of the main "empty" areas that jumps out at me big time! I understand that MPC didn't want to spend too much time in this area, but it's one of those detail omissions that drives me crazy as it's so far off the 1:1's appearance.

Nevertheless, the body shape looks spot on to me as MPC was very good at getting those F-car's shapes correct.

That jumped out at me too, Bill.

In a nutshell, as you and Chuck have noted, this is a 1982-era MPC kit.  Promo-like accuracy, but still buildable to the kids MPC was selling these to in 1982.

And it does have a rear seatback as this pic shows  

DSCN1768.JPG

That "empty" look is thanks in no small part to MPC's early '80s practice of omitting any sort of drip molding or window seal details on a number of kits, their F-cars, EXPs, and C4 'Vettes among the more notable examples.  Looked iffy on their 1/25 kits and really obvious on their 1/16s of the time.  Detail and parts texture would be nice elsewhere, but the bodies had a generally unfinished look.

The 1/16 'Vette had an opening hatch, but not this Firebird.  It was Revell's 1/16 F-cars that had all the opening panels.  Hatch glass was a little humped on those kits and more accurately shaped on the fixed MPC hatch.  Trying to recall if the black frit/defroster line detail was even there on the first release of this kit back in '82.  Look closely at the model and I believe you'll see a rear seat back piece curling around the side under the edge of the top surface catching all the light - I don't recall that being a hollow seat back.

The Revell 1/16s seemed physically just a bit smaller, perhaps a bit more accurately shaped overall, not quite so sharply engraved and a little overly "geometric" in the dirty bits, but they had window seal/gasket detail.  I I r c, The one thing the MPC '82 Firebird kits caught that neither Revell nor Monogram did in theirs was that little flaring aero piece just ahead of each front wheel at the rocker level on both sides.

Looked at my original-issue 1/16-scale MPC '82 Firebird, and it does have the defroster and black area engraving on the inside of the rear hatch. The black area is frosted as well. My kit has dark-smoke-tinted "clear" parts as was pretty typical for MPC kits when it was released. Also, the MPC kit has a solid roof that the builder has to cut out for the t-tops. Don't have a Revell 1/16-scale '82 Firebird, but do have the '83 kit and it's t-top only.

We all know Bill would have accurate latches, and key the locks. Key buzzer would slow him down, but he'd get it. 

That was a really nice build BTW. Big scale that looks good is a hard thing to do. Why I don't try. But then, I don't finish much lately :(

Those were nice looking cars, have aged really well. Better than I expected, far better than the next design. Holds for the Mustang too in my eyes.

How's your eyesight Bill?? Better??

We all know Bill would have accurate latches, and key the locks. Key buzzer would slow him down, but he'd get it. 

How's your eyesight Bill?? Better??

LOL! :D

Yes, things are better than they were a month ago, but still not quite 100%. I go back to the Doctor next Friday as I had another TERRIBLE bout with light sensitivity about two weeks ago. It was so bad that I couldn't go into work as even the nightlight in my bathroom was too bright!

The severe sensitivity is gone, but the Doctor wants to check things out to make sure there aren't some other problems that might be lurking. In the meantime he wants me to wear sunglasses outside even on a cloudy day, and try not to strain my eyes too long if possible.