Model Cars Magazine Forum

New added to Round 2

ranma

was not the vending Machine suppose to be turned into the Pepsi Machine ?

mpc-vending-machine.jpg

That's the one. To go from the original Coke-Cola version to the Pepsi-Cola version was only a matter of different decals. So why not offer that kit with Mountain Dew or other decals. Round 2 is good at that type of thing. Look at the latest release of the AMT '23 Model T delivery, with the decals for all the different Nestle candies. Do the same thing with the Vending Machine. Hopefully it will be with PepsiCo since they own the rights to Mountain Dew.

I got the 2017 Auto World catalog in the mail today. In the inside back cover, they show the new Auto World exclusive kit coming out later this year. In November 2016 they will be bringing back the AMT Streetle Beetle, in a limited run of 500 kits. This is a kit I've been hoping to see reissued again. I think it's only been on the market one time in the past, back in the mid-1970's. My buying power being what it was back then, it would not have been on my radar at the time. But now things are a little different, and I'm hoping to get my hands on one.

YES, It was announced/shown/teased(?) about two years ago or so, but never made it through.

All these reissued 1/16 AMT and MPC kits, and no '63 Vette...yet. ^_^

I bought the last reissue of the 1/16 scale '63 Vette recently. I couldn't wait any longer, and the price got it at was very good.

They teased us about bring back the Vending Machine a couple of years ago? I missed that one. I wonder what stopped them from going through with it?

That jumped out at me too, Bill.

In a nutshell, as you and Chuck have noted, this is a 1982-era MPC kit.  Promo-like accuracy, but still buildable to the kids MPC was selling these to in 1982.

And it does have a rear seatback as this pic shows  

DSCN1768.JPG

Thanks for the clearer picture showing off the seat back. I stand (barely) corrected. 

I wonder ( I hope) if the 49 Ford will be a 'Retro Deluxe' kit with the spinner hubcaps,original decals and pad printed whitewalls? That would be sweet..

There were two issues of the '49 Ford with the "Gas Man" drag version.  One was called "49'er" and the other was the Tijuana Border Police.  Those didn't have the spinner caps ('61 Dodge units if I remember right), they were replaced with Appliance Plating slotted wheels.  The slots radiated outwards from the center.  The Monogram Paddy Wagon kit had a similar wheel, but in two different sizes (the Ford had four wheels in one size).  This reissue should have those wheels and the Gas Man decals, and will likely have whitewall tires too.

That '49 Ford is interesting! In the long run I guess I have to pick two of them to build one as a Custom and other one as a Gasser. Those Barris kits are interesting too so probably I'll end up picking them up as well... It's just a shame that the Firebird is 1/16 scale. If it wasn't, I'd be happy to have one of them too.

I find it interesting to note the Munster Coach has been renamed Barris Koach... licensing issues?

I am not sure on that .I do know that when I worked for Cal Automotive we designed and Built what became the " Barris " Munsters Coach. George was a fraud then and didn't change much . ocn

I am not sure on that .I do know that when I worked for Cal Automotive we designed and Built what became the " Barris " Munsters Coach. George was a fraud then and didn't change much . ocn

I heard he got the idea for the Munster coach after talking to Tom Daniel. And I have always been curious on why it looks more like a Daniel's design than a Barris one. 

Image result for munster koach

Image result for Daniels Tijuana Taxi

Edited by Daddyfink

TD is/was/will forever be a far better designer than Barris in my eyes. Barris stuff seems incomplete at times. TD threw caution to the wind and was truly a theme designer. TD's stuff also seemed plausible mostly. I know Barris stuff is actually always 1:1 and TD is a draftsman/painter. But to me TD just always seemed edgier. If TD went 1:1 as a career imagine what we would have today.

I REALLY want the boat ,, maybe even a few of them

the rest,,,,,,,,,,meh. Think I'll pass

The Owens has 2 nice Evinrude 75 hp outboard motors. The other kit, the Century Coronado is an inboard. It was one of the hottest selling boats in 1959*1960. These kits realy need a 4 wheel boat trailer which is up to the modeler. The AMT boat /trailer was a Chris-Craft Cutlass , also a popular boat

I got the 2017 Auto World catalog in the mail today. In the inside back cover, they show the new Auto World exclusive kit coming out later this year. In November 2016 they will be bringing back the AMT Streetle Beetle, in a limited run of 500 kits. This is a kit I've been hoping to see reissued again. I think it's only been on the market one time in the past, back in the mid-1970's. My buying power being what it was back then, it would not have been on my radar at the time. But now things are a little different, and I'm hoping to get my hands on one.

Is this open dune buggy in the Streetle Beetle?

MODEL- STREETLE BEETLE from Showrods dot com.jpg

Is this open dune buggy in the Streetle Beetle?

MODEL- STREETLE BEETLE from Showrods dot com.jpg

Yes...it's in the Meyers Manx kit also.  Both used the same chassis, as did the recently issued Teevee dune buggy.  The wheels and tires shown are MPC pieces, those weren't in any of those kits.

That's the one. To go from the original Coke-Cola version to the Pepsi-Cola version was only a matter of different decals. So why not offer that kit with Mountain Dew or other decals. Round 2 is good at that type of thing. Look at the latest release of the AMT '23 Model T delivery, with the decals for all the different Nestle candies. Do the same thing with the Vending Machine. Hopefully it will be with PepsiCo since they own the rights to Mountain Dew.

That would be neat if it came with Mountain Dew decals ...

The Owens has 2 nice Evinrude 75 hp outboard motors. The other kit, the Century Coronado is an inboard. It was one of the hottest selling boats in 1959*1960. These kits realy need a 4 wheel boat trailer which is up to the modeler. The AMT boat /trailer was a Chris-Craft Cutlass , also a popular boat

Would the trailer from the AMT Aquarod work? This one's on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Did that thing come with both stock VW and the faux '40 Ford hoods, or just the latter?

2 separate issues. The Superbug Gasser was issued first as shortened Beetle sharing Manx and TeeVee buggy chassis. Last one seen was the Streetle Beetle with the 40 nose only, and a hump tire on rear deck. 

The yellow body below is the shorty body. The red body is a stock Beetle, not AMT

Image result for AMT superbugImage result for AMT superbugImage result for AMT superbugImage result for AMT superbugImage result for Streetle Beetle

I talk to Round 2 yesterday about preordering the Streetle Beetle. Two things, they will not take preorders on any kit until a month before it's ready to be released. Credit card issues. Second the Steetle Beetle may not be ready until December, rather than November as originally announced in their catalog.