Model Cars Magazine Forum

Styling Snafus

Allen's post about a redesigned '58 T-Bird reminds me of a long-running thread we had while I was a member of that "other" forum many years ago. I called it "Styling Snafus," and basically I (and anyone else who wanted to jump in) took an existing car and restyled it. Sometimes the changes were made to improve bad design (in my opinion), sometimes the changes were just a "what if" or "what if they had done this instead" kind of thing. But the point was, it was fun, and the thread lasted for years... until one day, without warning, the powers that be decided to delete the whole thing. I had done dozens and dozens of "before and afters," as had many other people who also contributed. Maybe we should try and revive that here?

This is just one example of many that I did, to give you an idea what the thread was all about.

67gtobefore.jpg

67gtoafter.jpg

And speaking of fastbacks, here's one you rarely see...

marlinbefore.jpg

marlinafter.jpg

OMG, Harry, you actually managed to make a Marlin even uglier! :blink:

I'm not the E-artist you are, but I tried one day to do SOMETHING about the side window cutouts on a Marlin. I'll have to see if I can find those pics and load 'em up.

If Photobucket were working right now, which it's not apparently, I'd show you something I did with a Javelin. Maybe later.

This is a great idea.

I'll never be able to do it myself.

I'm no design artist.

But I will comment on what you did Harry.

The GTO is hard to improve upon in my opinion, but I will admit that the changes you made do give it a much "sleeker" look.

Although as Craig said, it may be a little too "Mopar-ish".

The Cadillac changes also look good, but personally, I like the before picture better.

As far as the Marlin goes, well, that's a tough one.

The changes take away a little of the boxiness, but I'm not sure if it helps make it "not ugly". :)

I wouldn't call the styling of the original GTO or Cadillac a "snafu", but the Marlin could use more help than you gave it! :D

Steve

I wouldn't call the styling of the original GTO or Cadillac a "snafu"...

It's like I said in my initial post... sometimes I tried to rework obviously clunky or just plain bad styling, but in other cases it was more of a "I wonder how this would look if they had done it this way?" kind of thing. I agree that the GTO and the Caddy look good as is. But I always wondered what the GTO would have looked like if the headlights had been oriented the "normal" way... and on the Caddy, I was just playing around. No real complaint about its original styling. But I do think I improved on it. ;)

Ok, here's one that always bothered me... the trim strip running right through the headlights on the SSR. It always seemed to me to be a totally contrived styling touch that was completely unnecessary. So I redid the front end to what I would have done if they had asked me for my opinion... ^_^

Okay, PB is up again for the moment. Here's my Javelin, which is nothing more than moving all four wheels forward so the thing has the proportions of a true Mustang/Camaro "ponycar" instead of the proportions of a Nova/Dart compact. Mine looks much better, don't you think?

Here's one that I really cleaned up. Messing with a classic, I know... but that's what Photoshop is for! The original had too much chrome, too many angles going too many ways, not enough overall cohesiveness. And that goofy pitchfork trim is completely out of place... doesn't fit into the design at all. I know it's what we are all used to, but think about how out of place and completely unnecessary it really is.

58impalabefore.jpg

68Javelin01.jpg

How about that - I've driven that car; my boss/friend bought it from a friend of ours who was selling it at the time the Bring A Trailer photos were posted. It has only 16,000 miles and it drives real nice, although it's no hot rod (I took it down from Yucca Valley to a show in Palm Springs and back; I was told in no uncertain terms not to take it over 55 - that wasn't a problem).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Ok, here's one that always bothered me... the trim strip running right through the headlights on the SSR. It always seemed to me to be a totally contrived styling touch that was completely unnecessary. So I redid the front end to what I would have done if they had asked me for my opinion... ^_^

SSRbefore.jpg

SSRafter.jpg

I like that a lot better!

Steve

Here's one that I really cleaned up. Messing with a classic, I know... but that's what Photoshop is for! The original had too much chrome, too many angles going too many ways, not enough overall cohesiveness. And that goofy pitchfork trim is completely out of place... doesn't fit into the design at all. I know it's what we are all used to, but think about how out of place and completely unnecessary it really is.

58impalabefore.jpg

58-impala-3_zpsljrxxvin.jpg

Meh.

I agree that the '58 GM cars were all overly "embellished" but I have to say, I don't like what you did with this one.

Granted, part of that might be just the expectation of what a '58 Impala looks like.

I don't like the new roof line at all.

I've always really liked the forward slanting pillars & the wrap around glass.

And the side trim is too '57 Ford to me.

I think cleaning up the hood & fenders looks good, but I think a different side treatment would look better.

Steve

This looks like WAY too much fun. Guess I'll have to learn Photoshop next. So much of my work is heavy restyling... 

Of course, it seems like with your proficiency, you can knock these out in just a few minutes, where they'd probably take me days...

Like I said, WAY too much fun. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy