Model Cars Magazine Forum

An entirely new life

Harry P.

Harry, been thinking about you; good thoughts really!  Really, I actually mean it!!

We have a guy at work who almost didn't make it through a dismount off his Harley thanks to an elderly couple who pulled out in front of him as he was doing 60 MPH.   Yep, they didn't see him until he hit their car.   He had about a bazillion (27 actually) broken bones, pins plates, superglue and whatever else it took to scratch build his parts back together!!!  He almost died at the scene, but was given CPR and rescue breathing, thanks to a Washington State Patrolman and an off duty nurse on her way home after a long O/T shift.  (He met both of them again, later.)  Then he died on the operating table twice, second time they almost pulled the plug,  but he made a noise and moved so they started in again while the Doctor closed him up on the other end.   He's back to work finally, walking slowly with a cane, works half a day for now.  Thank God, he's back to work!!!  I remember seeing him in the hospital almost a week post accident, he was in a drug induced coma lines and tubes going every which way, I didn't have too high hopes either.  The Doctors told his family he might not pull through, then they told  him he wouldn't ever work again.  He pulled through!!  He's working again too!!

Moral of the story Harry or anyone else finding yourself in a similar situation; never give up hope or give up on someone. You never ever know what God has planned for the rest of their life.

Besides Harry, we all want you back pointing out the missing mirrors, floating generators and alternators, ejector pin marks, seams and other egregious modeling faux paxes!!!  Get well soon.  Remember there's a whole lot of (us) people who've never met you in person, but are praying for you!  God is good!!

Does anyone have any updates on Harry. I was  wondering how he is doing.  Hopefully things are going well.

Have not heard beyond that he's in the heart refab facility and they are trying to coordinate with the cancer oncologist. He has not been able to respond to email so far - to me at least. Dave may know more.

My latest update: I am an inpatient  in a cardiac rehab facility where I do rehab work in the morning and the afternoon. Pretty basis and easy stuff because my heart is so weak. I'm talking about 3 pound weights and doing several steps up and down a set of stairs. Simple stuff like that. which will eventually get tougher and eventually strengthen my heart to some sense of normalcy...to the point where I can live successfully on my own at home. The time frame between starting out and getting back to almost normal is unknown... it depends on my heart, how hard I exercise, and how the heart responds.

I have a chemo session Thursday, using completely different drugs designed to protect my heart. The hope is that unlike the previous chemo session, which basically blew my heart to pieces, these new chemicals will be much gentler on my heart and not cause a negative reaction.

I'm scared, but it has to be done.

My latest update: I am an inpatient  in a cardiac rehab facility where I do rehab work in the morning and the afternoon. Pretty basis and easy stuff because my heart is so weak. I'm talking about 3 pound weights and doing several steps up and down a set of stairs. Simple stuff like that. which will eventually get tougher and eventually strengthen my heart to some sense of normalcy...to the point where I can live successfully on my own at home. The time frame between starting out and getting back to almost normal is unknown... it depends on my heart, how hard I exercise, and how the heart responds.

I have a chemo session Thursday, using completely different drugs designed to protect my heart. The hope is that unlike the previous chemo session, which basically blew my heart to pieces, these new chemicals will be much gentler on my heart and not cause a negative reaction.

Good luck to you Harry. Know that you are still in our best wishes and in our prayers.

You're scared? Heck I would be too if I were in your shoes Harry. Ya gotta keep the faith, and I'll keep you in my prayers like I've been doin.'

Harry has just posted this on his gofundme page - let's hope it's the start of better things for him.

12/15 After the disastrous first chemo session, the doctors completely switched up my chemo recipe in order to protect my heart. First session was Thursday...so far no side effects. Fingers crossed.