Model Cars Magazine Forum

Apple Barrel acrylics

I did a bit of shopping at Walmart yesterday. I found some of the Sharpie pens that guys suggested, both for small parts and for painting the RWLs. I didn't find any of the gel pens, but maybe I didn't look in the right place. I realized when I got home that I didn't go to the office or school supplies section. They might have gel pens there. I only looked in the craft area.

I did, however, find a huge selection of "Apple Barrel" acrylic paints, and in 2 different sized bottles. At this point I have to confess that I know NOTHING about acrylic paints. Never had such things when I was a kid and I've never had a reason to explore them for any other project I've done. What I'd like to know is if these "Apple Barrel" paints are OK to use on models. Walmart had a really huge selection, most of which would be pretty much useless for a model car. I just can't see any possible need for the unreal selection of pastels, but I guess you never know. I noticed they had all the basic colors which I know could be useful on a model. The 2 oz bottle size is priced at 50 cents. Factor in that I wouldn't have to pay shipping and that makes the paints very attractive to me. Link below to the 2 oz bottle size on a different website than Walmart.

So, anybody know anything about this brand? Or can anybody say for sure if the paint would be OK for model work?

https://plaidonline.com/apple-barrel-colors-2-oz/5/product.htm

For those so inclined to produce weathering,rust and such these acrylics are absolutely the right choice.I have an arsenal of over 50 colors that get used regularly to produce what is needed.They are cheap are available everywhere plus super easy clean up.I use only brushes for application.I have an airbrush somewhere still in it's original box(mint-boxed?)That opened once a couple decades ago but have never used.

If the Apple Barrel paints are anything like the the Delta Ceramcoat craft acrylics, I use them quite often.

But only for fine detailing with a brush.

I've never tried them through an airbrush, but I have used other acrylics, also with limited success.

I've never had any luck with acrylics for painting bodies.

The Delta acrylics work great for things like grille back grounds & panel lines.

Steve

Quality wise the Delta Ceramcoat craft paints are the best then, Folk Art better, Apple Barrel good, the main difference being the amount and fineness of the pigment.  My Mom did craft, tole painting for years, she wouldn't use the Apple Barrel craft acrylics straight out of the bottle, she only used them to mix with better grade acrylics.  When I started using acrylic paints on models I ask her about the Apple Barrel paints and that was what she told me.  Less pigment = less cost which is why they are cheaper.  Don't get me wrong I still use them, just not for stuff,I want to cover in one coat.  Just be careful when you need the coverage without the buildup.

Quality wise the Delta Ceramcoat craft paints are the best then, Folk Art better, Apple Barrel good, the main difference being the amount and fineness of the pigment. 

I wonder how the Craft Smart paints from Michaels compare to Delta Ceramcoat, Folk Art and Apple Barrel?

I wonder how the Craft Smart paints from Michaels compare to Delta Ceramcoat, Folk Art and Apple Barrel?

I use the Craft Smart paints from Michaels

Thins well with the testors universal acrylic thinner...and there are at least 200 different colours including metallics....and Cheep

you should look up Chris Chapman on u tube.  he has lots of how-to vidios using craft paints. everything from glossy to rusting and weathering

^^
This.

And he is thankfully such a cheapskate, that his tips helped me to reduce my modeling expenses back into sanity.
He even skimps on primer. I use craft acrylics matt white though, at 50p a bottle, which is good for at least ten models.

Chris' philosophy is to paint an entire model for under one Dollar and his results are awesome.

Maybe that's the problem. Opinions?

I have also mixed up Craft paint 1/2 and 1/2 with 99% Alcohol and shot with my airbrush at about 20 psi, with the large needle....

Many light coats,...but it leaves all the detail that way,

Let us know how you make out

Edited by Belugawrx

I always wound up with lots of orange peel. I was shooting with the large #5 tip on a Paasche H at about 30 to 35 psi. I'm thinning with a mixture of 1/3 isopropyl alcohol to 2/3 distilled water with 2 ml of Liquitex Professional Flow-Aid Fluid Medium and  2 ml of Liquitex Professional Slow Dri Blending Medium. I think I may be overthinking it. I'll try some more tests with 50/50 paint/alcohol and lower my pressure.

Do the darker colors of craft acrylics have larger particle sizes than the lighter colors?