Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 379

Finally done though I may need to make a few corrections based on potential flaws revealed by the camera!   A friend bought a 1993 Pete 379 new in 93.  It was black cherry, basically black that had a hint of dark red under certain lighting.  I did my best to replicate the look, and from what I can see, I'm satisfied with how it came out.  He sold the truck a few years later and I'll be giving him the model for his retirement later this year.

165144443.jpg

165144450.jpg

165144449.jpg

165144445.jpg

165024792.jpg

Excellent work, my friend....The 379 has always been an awesome looking truck....Your work really captures the look.....I really need to get onto building one of these.....Amazing how nobody offers a kit version of this thing.....It would sell, so well.....

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to ask an honest question.

And the question is related to the same reason I've not posted pictures of some of my work.

This is a beautiful build -- no question about it.  Gorgeous!   I'm a devout "Hunter Selby follower" -- and I saw the mold lines left in the seat backs.  Some simple sanding was all that was needed.

I spend a ton of time removing mold lines, sink holes, divots, ditches, ejector pin marks, etc. -- and I still don't feel my work is "up to snuff"  to show here.

Maybe Hunter has made me too self-critical, I'm not sure.

Thanks

seat_backs.png

I'd like to ask an honest question.

And the question is related to the same reason I've not posted pictures of some of my work.

This is a beautiful build -- no question about it.  Gorgeous!   I'm a devout "Hunter Selby follower" -- and I saw the mold lines left in the seat backs.  Some simple sanding was all that was needed.

I spend a ton of time removing mold lines, sink holes, divots, ditches, ejector pin marks, etc. -- and I still don't feel my work is "up to snuff"  to show here.

Maybe Hunter has made me too self-critical, I'm not sure.

Thanks

seat_backs.png

One of the biggest reasons is that it will never be seen unless someone breaks the sleeper off of the cab. For that matter, the entire seat is unrealistic and should have had a back fabbed.  I'm NOT an award-winning model builder and this build won't win any awards anywhere.  That's not the point.  The point of this is for the fun (and in this case to give a truck driver friend a gift).  My photography isn't the best in the world, either but it's something I love to do (artistic expression and all that).  I think we all have different skill sets and for the most part, we do our best, some better than others.  My paint jobs aren't the best either!  Heck, I can pick apart my own work better than most anyone but there comes a point when it sucks the fun right out it and when that happens, there isn't any point to going on. 

Well said Warren. Unfortunately there will always be those that view the hobby as a competition. Don't ever lose sight of the fun factor, it is after all just a hobby.

I learned that long ago.  I built a 1/72 model of a 1929 D25 New Standard (big ol' biplane) like the one I rode in frequently.  I went to my first and last IPMS monthly meeting where it was ripped to shreds (figuratively).  I stopped building models for the better part of 30 years.  I have a different perspective on it lately and on life in general. Do I wish I had the skills and patience to do better?  Yes, and no.  I admire the skills and dedication of many I see here but it wouldn't be fun for me to reach for that level.  I have much too much stress in daily life to want to add stress with a hobby.  Heck, I do it now anyway, but I stop when I reach a certain level. 

Well said Warren. Unfortunately there will always be those that view the hobby as a competition. Don't ever lose sight of the fun factor, it is after all just a hobby.

Great point.   My stuff will never be in any competition (I just can't lay down those kinds of mirror smooth wet glossy paint finishes).  But, ever since I was a kid and got my first ride in a Transtar II Eagle cabover (1970's), I have been hooked.  I just love having them in a case in my family room -- even though they are not "contest grade", they still bring back fond memories  :-)

I remember building my first Peterbilt 352 cabover -- built it right out of the box, not a drop of paint on it.  All white and chrome.   But I loved it.  Had fun building it and was proud of completing it.   Then I built the original "Movin' On" Kenworth.   And got brave and threw a coat of paint on it when it was finished.  I was just building because it was fun and I loved those trucks.   That's the mindset I think I've got to find again.

• 2 weeks later...

Warren,

You have the skills and you can improve your models with the simple little tricks. It is not about competitions . It should be about having fun relaxation. What ever that means to you. And how it translates to your Models.

By simply removing panel lines mold joints etc you model will look better

Be Well

Gator

• 1 month later...

Well you guys can say what you want but........This is a good looking model and I applaud you for posting it is suppose to be enjoyable and fun so have fun and build

I like it. I'm sure the owner of the real thing will appreciate it. Don't  let anyone get you down. Most importantly, build for you. 

Great point.   My stuff will never be in any competition (I just can't lay down those kinds of mirror smooth wet glossy paint finishes).  But, ever since I was a kid and got my first ride in a Transtar II Eagle cabover (1970's), I have been hooked.  I just love having them in a case in my family room -- even though they are not "contest grade", they still bring back fond memories  :-)

I remember building my first Peterbilt 352 cabover -- built it right out of the box, not a drop of paint on it.  All white and chrome.   But I loved it.  Had fun building it and was proud of completing it.   Then I built the original "Movin' On" Kenworth.   And got brave and threw a coat of paint on it when it was finished.  I was just building because it was fun and I loved those trucks.   That's the mindset I think I've got to find again.

I think you brought up a good question and Warren answered it right. When a detail isn't going to show then why bother.. I also read that you don't think your stuff is worthy of showing on forum? I for one would say that no matter how or what you build, if you enjoy to build then it should be shown!! Everyone is there own worst critic when it comes to building what we do and like Warren says there comes a point where you have to turn off that switch in your brain and let it slide a bit.... I know where you're coming from Jeff, I see a lot of stuff on different peoples builds and wonder why they didn't do this or that, then I think maybe they're just doing it for the fun of building and don't care if it's taken to a show or how it looks on their shelf. To them it's just a build!!! I have a friend that loves to build, doesn't care how they look and after he gets done building it he takes it to the next local swap meet and sells it... He just builds for the fun of building...  Don't take any of this as bantering either of ya because I'm not...

Jeff, for one I'd like to see what you build!!! I think it would be fun for you to show off your work, and I think the folks on here would welcome them as they have anybody else's!!! Hope to see your work someday!!!!!

And Warren, great build!!!!!! I know you said their were imperfections on her, but I didn't see them!!!!! Looks great!!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

Great points.   I've been "picking at" a Freightliner cabover build for the past year or so.  I'm a slow builder, and always try to get everything "right" because I know I'm not in the same league as most that post their builds here.  

And when you take that kind of time to build a kit -- well, it's easy to loose interest in it and then it never gets finished.

I think that's the attitude I need to get-- don't get all uptight about it and try to turn off the "perfectionist" side of the brain.  Like the person you mentioned "doesn't care how they look and after he gets done building it he takes it to the next local swap meet and sells it... He just builds for the fun of building".  What a great attitude and what a great way to have fun and burn off some of the stress of life.

I've seen guys do a "weekend build".  Whatever you can do in 2 days.  I've always thought that sounded like fun and would prevent that "pefectionist" in me.  Plus it would have the added benefit of finishing a build !  And it could be "just for the fun of it".