Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius future kit prototypes from November, 2017 NNL Motor City...

tim boyd

Hi,

Hmm, I see your points.

Seems like specialization may be key here so companies like Round2 attract the rather large nostagia/classic/older car generation.

Hell, all the more reason to bring back;

- Astro 1

- Flying Dutcman

- Charger III

So sexy, so sexy.

From a price point I see that Revell can do more for less, and Moebius more for the same MSRP.

So maybe the babyboomers are more interested in the concept of, or reliving the hobby and rather build something  new and newly designed then buy a certain car/truck from reason of nostalgia.

Afteral they're not the grasshoppers they were, so they expect some improvement from their old hobby as well...

Am I makig sense here?....dunno, wish to get more people who can get more info and learn...

Thanks

So maybe the babyboomers are more interested in the concept of, or reliving the hobby and rather build something  new and newly designed then buy a certain car/truck from reason of nostalgia.

Afteral they're not the grasshoppers they were, so they expect some improvement from their old hobby as well...

Am I makig sense here?....dunno, wish to get more people who can get more info and learn...

Interesting questions. 

I'm getting pretty long in the tooth, but frankly, I'm happy as a clam (and I have it on good authority that clams are very happy indeed) when a new well-done kit hits the market, and in the past few years I've branched out from primarily hot-rods and customs (and important race cars like historic Corvettes and Porsches and McLarens and Ferraris) to fairly late-model Euro and Asian tuners too.

But I'm still a sucker for the "restored" issues of the kits from my youth...and clean originals.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Agree with you completely. And this is even more true in Model Airplane World, where they no longer bat an eye at Tamiya's prices, no matter how outrageous they get. 

Also true in 1/35 Military Model World.  Where the consumers shell out $50-100 or more for the latest super-detailed kit. Then easily add another $100 for photo-etched detail sets, resin modification/correction kits and real metal tank tracks (often $25-50 for those tracks alone).

And the military model companies, like Meng and Takom, are always cranking out the military equivalents of '61 Chryslers and '48 Packards.  There's a whole "what-if" sub-genre of vehicles that were prototypes, or never even got built.  Sometimes there'll be 2 or 3 competing kits of the same military vapor-ware. 

As for who's building these things, apparently everybody.  In a magazine I recently saw a stunning "what-if" diorama of a German Panther tank with a Japanese crew. As it might have been used in the 1945 last-ditch defense of Japan.  It was built by a young Japanese woman.

Please be a Maytag! Please! Please! Please!

MODEL WASHING MACHINE.JPG

Why couldn't they have done that in 1/25 scale? And who wants kits on new washing machines? I wish they would do a 1977 Maytag top loader! If we get a second kit they'll make something i want. Does anybody sell Avocado green in hobby sized paints? Perhaps next they will do a refrigerator, that would be cool!

Edited by Darin Bastedo

Why couldn't they have done that in 1/25 scale? And who wants kits on new washing machines? I wish they would do a 1977 Maytag top loader! If we get a second kit they'll make something i want. Does anybody sell Avocado green in hobby sized paints? Perhaps next they will do a refrigerator, that would be cool!

Krylon makes an avocado green.  I needed it for my Pinto interior to match the 1:1 I'm trying to replicate.

I'm guessing the new kit will be a 1967-68 Cougar.  I heard a quiet, inside rumor a while back that one was planned, and now I'm betting it is what is coming.  If they start with a '68, they would only have to remove the side marker lights for a '67 body.  Or, they can just do them in decals, and the only things that NEED to change are in the interior.  But to go to a '69, they would need a new everything above the chassis, and AMTs '69 really only needs the inner fender wells and the dashboard fixed to be a really great model.

That is some of the most insightful and on-point commentary (comedy?) I have seen in ages.

I'm guessing the new kit will be a 1967-68 Cougar.  I heard a quiet, inside rumor a while back that one was planned, and now I'm betting it is what is coming.  If they start with a '68, they would only have to remove the side marker lights for a '67 body.  Or, they can just do them in decals, and the only things that NEED to change are in the interior.  But to go to a '69, they would need a new everything above the chassis, and AMTs '69 really only needs the inner fender wells and the dashboard fixed to be a really great model.

Any <1969 Cougar model, updated and all... I'd give an arm and a friggin' leg for that.

Now I could go for a '67-'68 Cougar! It's something I don't have and anyone care for an Eliminator version?? B)

Ive been sayin' for years that we need a new first gen Cougar kit.  With the argument for multiple versions from the same basic tool, there aren't many cars that could give you more possible variations.

Obviously there's both the '67  and '68 model years.  Within factory stock variations, there are umpteen possibilities, including multiple high performance versions.  Besides the base model for each year, there is also the options for XR7, GT, XR7-G, GT-E.  As far as engines, there was the 289 and 302 windsor, 390, 427, and 428 all offered at various times during the 1967-1968 model years.  (No Eliminator until '69 though)

The basic body shell could also be used for a Bud Moore Trans Am car.  I'm sure there are several historic drag cars that could be replicated, too.

I sometimes do go vroom vroom , shhh, dont tell only one ok?

He was talking about models, Jonathan, not your 1:1 !    :lol:

I don't know about Jonathan, but I thought I heard that's what you like to do with your General Lee and go "YEE HAW" with your Bo & Luke action figures!!:lol::lol: