Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blizzard hits New York?❄️❄️??

NYLIBUD

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I think it was last year in Patterson, NJ that a guy got shot for parking in someone's clean spot!  

That doesn't surprise me and I believe that it was done in Chicago already also. I don't blame people getting mad after spending all that time and energy diggin' out their parking spot and also staking it out, but for someone to do bodily harm over a parking spot is just plain NUTS.

I'm glad I'm in the suburbs with a garage.  I haven't shoveled my driveway yet this winter, with my 4wd Jeep I get in and out just fine.  Though I have shoveled the sidewalk and walkway up to the front door so the mailman and Fed Ex/UPS/Amazon deliveries can go on...

3 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I'm glad I'm in the suburbs with a garage.  I haven't shoveled my driveway yet this winter, with my 4wd Jeep I get in and out just fine.  Though I have shoveled the sidewalk and walkway up to the front door so the mailman and Fed Ex/UPS/Amazon deliveries can go on...

I've been drivin' here in the Midwest for over 50 years and never had the need for a 4X4 vehicle. They plow where I live and where I'm goin' and I'm lucky in that regards.

Just now, High octane said:

I've been drivin' here in the Midwest for over 50 years and never had the need for a 4X4 vehicle. They plow where I live and where I'm goin' and I'm lucky in that regards.

After 20+ years of driving 4x4 SUVs,  I'm so used to them it would be hard to go back to a car for a daily driver.  I like the ground clearance, high seating position, and extra traction.    

13 hours ago, High octane said:

Right now my truck has ground clearance, high seating position, and I also have posi, so I'm good to go.

*red truck*

Reg cab with Eco Boost. And 2WD? That is a very rare truck around here. Finding an F150 in 2WD or with reg cab just doesn't happen here. Actually, finding anything in 2WD around here is a challenge. 

So our weird winter continues here in western Canada. Up until about Dec 22 or so, we really did't have any winter yet! We had a little but of snow back in early November, and a very breif perios where it hit -10 celcius, but that's about it. 

The Christmas break hit, and we got our freezing temps. With windchill, we were around -45 celcius. On New Year's Eve, windchill was -48. Then on Jan2, I drove to work and it was plus 3, where it's been sitting ever since.

But this morning, we apparently have a snowfall warning.

Screenshot_20180108-073703.thumb.png.21001e012fd10e52487146a4ddaa0d02.png

So it's January and we finally get our first snowfall warning of the season.

It's only -1 right now, so we'll see.

:)

When I was a kid living in Chicago, people would dig out "their" parking place and then called dibs by placing a piece of old furniture in the spot.  It was really weird seeing couches or recliners in the street here and there reserving parking places, but for the most part, it worked.  I think that practice is illegal now.

Up till fairly recently, most smart people would leave their cars just where they were parked on the block if there was a major snowstorm. It wasn't worth the trouble digging them out completely since alternate side parking rules would be suspended for at least a week. Take the subway to where you gotta go. There are plenty of them here.

35 minutes ago, High octane said:

This two wheel drive truck sits a lot higher than my 2003 truck, and I believe all the newer 2WD trucks sit higher also. The "monkey bars" makes it easier to get in and out of the vehicle.

It's unfortunate that you didn't know about the height when you placed your order, the Ford factory step bars are quite nice and are included in the exterior option package.

started raining this afternoon, now it's ice pellets and everything wet that hit the ground earlier is solid ice.  NJ and PA companies sent people home early,  2pm was like rush hour traffic.   Now, I'm not going anywhere!  

We live on a hill. When I got home an hour ago two kids were sledding down the previously cleared sidewalk, now solid ice, at a fairly good clip!

Edited by Tom Geiger

38 minutes ago, Modeltruckbuilder said:

It's unfortunate that you didn't know about the height when you placed your order, the Ford factory step bars are quite nice and are included in the exterior option package.

The chrome step bars are only available on the Super Cab and Super Crew models only, and I definitely didn't want a four door truck.

Two days ago I woke up to 8 degrees F here in Charlotte and it got up to a balmy 31 degrees that day. Today I get home from a trip to SC and it was 66 degrees! Got the car washed and cleaned up while wearing a t shirt and found out it will be back in the 30s by this time next week. And I thought the weather in Chicago was wonky!

6 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Been 'warming' up yesterday and today (mid 30s today) after the deep freeze...supposed to be in the 50s Thursday..all the snow will melt in my yard...then ice and snow Fri and the weekend.. :(

That sounds like the weather report for the Boston area. But we have over a foot of snow on the ground  - one day of 50 degree weather will not melt all that snow.  It will barely put a dent in it.

8 hours ago, peteski said:

That sounds like the weather report for the Boston area. But we have over a foot of snow on the ground  - one day of 50 degree weather will not melt all that snow.  It will barely put a dent in it.

Yeah, been less severe here in the Cleveland area..have maybe 6 inches in my yard. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, NYLIBUD said:

Well it's official,we are having a blizzard here on Long Island.Total white out conditions.But when it's all done,I'll be going out and do some snow wheeling with my Jeep Cherokee,which is sitting on 35 inch tires,with a 6 1/2 inch lift.Lots of fun.:D

Hey Ron, got any pics of her??? Would like to see what it looks like!!!!

Winter is back in west central Minnesota!

Don't know what the wind speed is, but it's obviously gusting in excess of 50 mph.

A few new inches of snow along with the couple of feet that was already on the ground is translating into 5 foot drifts in my back yard!

I can just barely see my neighbors house across the street from my front window through the blowing snow, but I have rescued his garbage can & most of his trash from my back yard! :rolleyes:

Temps are hovering around  4 below at the moment & dropping.

I'm amused at the description of the local weather.

-4 degrees & "breezy"! :lol:

Steve

Bizzare weather here in Cleveland...warmed up over the last 24 hrs, all the snow melted, 61F right now and windy.  Wind kept knocking over my wheely bins at the curb (trash day).   Supposed to drop off sharply tomorrow with freezing rain, sleet, and snow into Saturday with highs dropping back to single digits....