Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Mustang Bullitt

ANyone who has spent time talking with me knows I'm not a big Ford fan. 

But I'll give credit where it's due, and this is pretty darn cool.

2019 Mustang Bullitt. 

2019-mustang-bullitt-1.jpg.ff611de09227978cf3411d3f106a7339.jpg

And they've got the original movie car too!

1968-Ford-Mustang-Bullitt-0-3532-default-large.jpeg.bf5b625ff3dc1828014b42a558e1757f.jpeg

Mustang-Bullitt.jpg.c84ca32d5c796c1d7ca682e7a5713c23.jpg

https://drivemag.com/news/1968-bullitt-mustang-resurfaces-after-40-years-shows-up-alongside-2019-heir-in-detroit

Now we just need to see them do a cool collaboration with Dodge, and get a black Charger involved. Yeah right.

:)

5 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Did anyone notice they found the 2nd car that was kept in hiding for 40 years?

I would like to know more about that car. Saw that it is the original car used in the movie. That it was the close up car that was sold that Steve McQueen tried to buy. Also wasn't the 2nd car that was the stunt car found in Mexico last year? I thought it might have been that one but it was not.

Jay Leno drove both the 2019 and the original car recently on Leno's Garage. It was really sad to see how bad the original car looked and sounded. The owner wants to keep it as original as possible. I think it's mistake. It needs a little work. 

Edited by unclescott58

I like how Ford has done the Bullitt tribute cars. Yes, they've done them a few times before, and everyone of them has been what I felt was the best version in that lineup. No stripes, no goofy spoilers, no chrome. Just simple, clean, and fun. And this one is a slightly bigger deal, as it's the 50th anniversary of the movie this year.

I thought the bigger reaction here would be that the original movie hero car was found and used for this launch. :blink: Is this one not a Holy Grail Mustang? I mean, it's not the original Eleanor, but it's still a pretty amazing piece of movie history.

:)

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Jay Leno drove both the 2018 and the original car recently on Leno's Garage. It was really sad to see how bad the original car looked and sounded. The owner wants to keep it as original as possible. I think it's mistake. It needs a little work. 

Persdonal, I'd take care of the mechanical, and preserve the patina and that body. Stop it from deteriorating any further. But I wouldnt restore it. And like the owner, I'd leave it as original as possible while doing the mechanical work. If parts can be reused, I would.

7 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I like how Ford has done the Bullitt tribute cars. Yes, they've done them a few times before, and everyone of them has been what I felt was the best version in that lineup. No stripes, no goofy spoilers, no chrome. Just simple, clean, and fun. And this one is a slightly bigger deal, as it's the 50th anniversary of the movie this year.

I agree with most of that in principle, I like McQueen, and I like the film. 

But I've just never understood the whole "tribute" or "special edition" (with somebody else's name on it) motivation.

Anyway, it looks good in green (though I'd like it better with as-cast, raw-alloy-looking spokes on the wheels) and it seems Ford has made the current Mustang a very competent car.

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I agree with most of that in principle, I like McQueen, and I like the film. 

But I've just never understood the whole "tribute" or "special edition" (with somebody else's name on it) motivation.

Anyway, it looks good in green (though I'd like it better with as-cast, raw-alloy-looking spokes on the wheels) and it seems Ford has made the current Mustang a very competent car.

Cashing in on nostaligia, nothing more. :)

In some cases it works, it other cases it's a blatant cash grab.

I look at it the same way I see signature models in the world of guitar. 

I personally won;t buy a replica of an Eddie Van Halen guitar, or a George Lynch guitar, but in most cases I like that they exist.

If you ever get a chance to drive a new Mustang, do so. As I said at the start, I'm not a Ford guy. But they did a good job with the new gen Mustang. We have a couple in our fleet here, which I was able to spend some quality time with this past fall.

The 5.0L with a manual transmission is still the way to go. Yeah, the EcoBoost is fast, but it sounds like a Ford Fusion, and who wants that? Plus, the 5.0L comes with Line Lock; the factory burnout mode. And works awesome! Total hooligan, but it feels great!

2016_Ford_Mustang_2_94935.JPG

I have not  seen a dyno result for the Bullit Mustang, but the  new 2018  gt  5.0   with auto  is no joke . Putting  out 437 hp  at the rear wheels. (due to auto losing less power)  Now , about test driving a  new Mustang.......I  worked at   a Ford dealer body shop and had to  fix a  2016  Shelby gt350.  Of  course i had to test drive after repairs were  done.   Big  mistake!   Could not stop thinking  about how insane  this car was.  The next year  i had to buy one.    2017 #0211  lightning blue  526 hp at crank and 8200 redline or shift point.

IMG_0031.JPG