Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/AMT 1/32 '56 Merc; Survivor from 1976 Gets Fresh Foil!

John Goschke

In 1975 I was building model airplanes but was actually a frustrated model car builder. Then I discovered Duplicolor rattle cans and Bare Metal Foil, which unleashed an orgy of car modeling that lasted into the early '80s. Along with that was an orgy of vintage kit buying that included the whole series of these 1/32nd scale kit, the result of a collaborative effort between Revell and AMT.  This Merc was the only one I actually built, because, I suspect, making the windows from scratch out of acetate report covers scared me out of doing the rest (that, and the small scale!)

Anyway, here she is with her original paint and windows (since aged to a nice amber shade!) and fresh foil. The box and instructions are original, too!

2v2JueN2hxE7U1V.jpg2v2JueN3CxE7U1V.jpg2v2JueNvLxE7U1V.jpg2v2JueNUgxE7U1V.jpg2v2JueN9WxE7U1V.jpg2v2JueNuGxE7U1V.jpg

Very nice looking kit. I remember when Revell first offered these 1/32nd scale kits. I built the '56 Ford convertible and the '56 Ford F-100. Like this Mercury they were very much ahead of the time. That scale is much harder to work with than the 1/24th and 1/25th scale kits that followed. Your redo looks great and I like the windows, almost as if they are tinted. The color combination and moldings really shows well.  

Really cool Mercury.  That sure is a lot of chrome, bet it was a bear to BMF, especially in that small of a scale.  Most of my work in 1/32nd scale back then was slot cars, but I also did build some of the static models.  Still have most of the '57 Chevy, the Watson Indy car, and a 63 Vette.

Very nice! I have several of these kits from this series & find the multi piece bodies make detailing real challenge as the bodies have to be built on the chassis with the interior in place. I've been working off & on  on a couple of '56 Chryslers. I'm at a point that has me buffaloed. 1 is the glass. With no template  I haven't figured out how to cut & shape the glass. The other sticking point is a gap between the body panels. I had originally planned to paint it then assemble it as the seams are right along the body break for a 2 tone paint job. (No masking!) But the gap just isn't going to cut it. Going to, someday, assemble the body, fix the gap, paint & and then try to work it over the chassis. They're still sitting on the model table :unsure: ...

On 1/19/2018 at 11:15 AM, espo said:

Very nice looking kit. I remember when Revell first offered these 1/32nd scale kits. I built the '56 Ford convertible and the '56 Ford F-100. Like this Mercury they were very much ahead of the time. That scale is much harder to work with than the 1/24th and 1/25th scale kits that followed. Your redo looks great and I like the windows, almost as if they are tinted. The color combination and moldings really shows well.  

Thanks, David!  In spite of the small scale and difficult assembly sequence these kits have a ton of potential.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:28 AM, cobraman said:

Great looking Merc.

Thanks, Ray!  It's held up surprisingly well over the years.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:24 PM, DumpyDan said:

That is awesome, nice work never seen one complete.

Thanks, Dan!  Unfortunately not too many get built anymore, I think.

On 1/19/2018 at 2:19 PM, peekay said:

That is really nice, John. I have a soft spot for this series, though I've only built the 56 Chrysler - and that was when it was new.

I posted a look at the 56 Buick recently:    

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/128867-vintage-132nd-revellamt-56-buick/

Thanks, Peter!  Nice review of the Buick!  If they'd made it a two-door hardtop I probably would've built it. But when they first made the '55 kit, four-door hardtops were a big deal!

On 1/19/2018 at 2:56 PM, blunc said:

looks great, doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks, Mike!  I like to think I'd do a better job now, but I'm not prepared to do it over completely to find out - life's too short!

On 1/19/2018 at 7:06 PM, unclescott58 said:

Nice to see one of those kits so nicely done. I like the '56 Mercury 4-door Phaetons a lot. It was always a sharp looking car IMO. 

Thanks, Scott!  I always loved the '55 and '56 Mercs, too!

On 1/19/2018 at 7:15 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Awesome!! 

I want one!!

Thanks, Tulio!  You could do a great job with one of these kits, I'm sure!

On 1/19/2018 at 7:34 PM, TarheelRick said:

Really cool Mercury.  That sure is a lot of chrome, bet it was a bear to BMF, especially in that small of a scale.  Most of my work in 1/32nd scale back then was slot cars, but I also did build some of the static models.  Still have most of the '57 Chevy, the Watson Indy car, and a 63 Vette.

Thanks, Rick!  Oddly the small scale made foiling a bit easier I think. Maybe because the pieces are a more manageable size,

On 1/19/2018 at 9:30 PM, Mercuryman54 said:

Very, very nice!! Looks great for the age. excellent build:)

Dennis 

Thanks, Dennis!  I wish I looked as good lo these 42 years later!

On 1/19/2018 at 9:48 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Vey nice results from that kit

Thanks, Mark!  It can be a tough kit! 

On 1/19/2018 at 10:50 PM, Snake45 said:

Very nice! Ain't it fun to rehab a valiant old survivor? B)

Thanks, Snake!  Yeah, it is fun and this particular survivor means a lot to me!

On 1/19/2018 at 11:00 PM, RAMBENNA said:

nice job , looks great

Thanks, Cliff!  I'm surprised how well the paint cleaned up. This thing was really dirty.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:15 PM, 70mach1 said:

Looks great John, that brings back some memories.When I worked at Ray Swenson Lincoln Mercury back in 1973 one of first jobs was to repair a crashed 56 4dr Montclair. Talk about some heavy iron!       Great job

Thanks, Andy!  It always means a  lot to me when you comment on my work seeing how much your models inspired me and made me want to build cars again all the time I was building aircraft! 

6 hours ago, mr moto said:

Great looking work! You might inspire me to tackle the Revell 1/32 Continental Mark II that's been staring at me for a few years.

Thanks, Manuel!  I'd love to see someone build one of the Mark IIs!  Go for it!

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Very nice!

Thanks, Lee! 

1 hour ago, #1 model citizen said:

Very nice! I have several of these kits from this series & find the multi piece bodies make detailing real challenge as the bodies have to be built on the chassis with the interior in place. I've been working off & on  on a couple of '56 Chryslers. I'm at a point that has me buffaloed. 1 is the glass. With no template  I haven't figured out how to cut & shape the glass. The other sticking point is a gap between the body panels. I had originally planned to paint it then assemble it as the seams are right along the body break for a 2 tone paint job. (No masking!) But the gap just isn't going to cut it. Going to, someday, assemble the body, fix the gap, paint & and then try to work it over the chassis. They're still sitting on the model table :unsure: ...

Thanks, John!  As I recall the Merc's body could be assembled as a whole for painting without any major re-engineering.  Others in the series are more problematic, but I think they're worth the effort, especially the Chryslers.