Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa Jaguar XJS TWR HE Triple build

ShawnS

Hi all.

This is a bit of a grail build for me after not having any real opportunity to buy at least one of these kits since they were originally released, I jumped at the chance to grab 3 of them upon their re-issue a couple of months ago. I always wanted to build the three TWR Jags that were entered in the 1985 Bathurst 1000 here in Australia. The race was won by the #10 car driven by Aussie legend John Goss and German touring car ace Armin Hahne with the #8 car driven by Tom Walkinshaw and Win Percy coming home in 3rd after splitting an oil cooler late in the race with the subsequent lengthy pitstop costing them the win. The #9 car driven by Aussie Ron Dickson and Brit Jeff Allam DNF'ed early in the race with mechanical issues.

I decided to only build one engine and totally go all out on the detail and leave the other two as curbside. I added plug wires, throttle cables and linkages, added fins and a bracket to the alternator, fitted dual electric fans, rebuilt the two induction scoops and made the ducts from wire and teflon tape, added heat sheilding, scratchbuilt the twin oil coolers up front and added a lot of braided hose and fittings from several sources. I also remade the tow hooks and front brake ducts on all three cars. The rest is built as stock. The decals are a combination of kit, studio27, Pattos and my own.

ttAroy.jpg
STHFag.jpg
A2NF8d.jpg
OFlPj2.jpg
eBYUnN.jpg
7tMlQg.jpg
ec8BMd.jpg
JWHesE.jpg
8oH3MI.jpg
gij5Nk.jpg

The build took a couple of months but they were fun to build with only the seat belts and the rear brake ducts causing any frustrations along the way and I would recommend the kit to anyone.

Cheers

ShawnS

Edited by ShawnS

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with the way the engine bay turned out, would you believe that it's only the third engine that I've detailed? I never used to like having to do them and I avoided them like the plague but I'm warming to them so expect more in the future. I've had a massive build season so far as I decided to finish some previously started builds so there are more models to come.

Cheers

ShawnS

11 hours ago, ShawnS said:

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with the way the engine bay turned out, would you believe that it's only the third engine that I've detailed? I never used to like having to do them and I avoided them like the plague but I'm warming to them so expect more in the future. I've had a massive build season so far as I decided to finish some previously started builds so there are more models to come.

Cheers

ShawnS

Natural talent.

HI guys thanks again for the nice comments.

Trevor, the radiator mesh is indeed PE and it's made by KA Models. It comes in a small sheet that can be cut to size for your own requirements. It's available from several sources on the net.

Cheers

ShawnS