Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fully detailed Pagani Huayra..Under Glass

Dann Tier

19 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Yes it is!....very tiring work too...

Have you ever tried liquid latex? I use it for this type of masking I use tape to mask the edges then back fill the rest with latex. I also use it for tight radius areas. Cut a narrow bit of tape for the edge then back fill the rest with liquid latex. I buy the stuff used in the sculpting/mold making industry in pint containers, it cleans up with ammonia.

It has saved me sooooo much time for this type of tedious masking, I buy cheap brushes of various widths from the dollar store. I will add it can't be used for edging on it's own in exposed areas as it tears the paint when being removed  because the overspray won't stick to it leaving a ragged edge behind. I found this out the hard way, ugh. 

Keep up the fantastic work dude. 

I hate masking and I suck at it.  I'm always so impressed when I see stuff like yours.  Everything looks well thought out and masterfully executed. Mine on the other hand looks like you gave a 5 year old a tape dispenser and said "have at it"...lol.  She looks great, Dann!

13 hours ago, Rider said:

Have you ever tried liquid latex? I use it for this type of masking I use tape to mask the edges then back fill the rest with latex. I also use it for tight radius areas. Cut a narrow bit of tape for the edge then back fill the rest with liquid latex. I buy the stuff used in the sculpting/mold making industry in pint containers, it cleans up with ammonia.

It has saved me sooooo much time for this type of tedious masking, I buy cheap brushes of various widths from the dollar store. I will add it can't be used for edging on it's own in exposed areas as it tears the paint when being removed  because the overspray won't stick to it leaving a ragged edge behind. I found this out the hard way, ugh. 

Keep up the fantastic work dude. 

Thanks, Lloyd!, that's a clever idea!!

12 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

I hate masking and I suck at it.  I'm always so impressed when I see stuff like yours.  Everything looks well thought out and masterfully executed. Mine on the other hand looks like you gave a 5 year old a tape dispenser and said "have at it"...lol.  She looks great, Dann!

LOL!!, thanks, John!!, I actually REALLY enjoy masking!!, and I bet Tamiya likes that as well!!...lol

2 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

@Dann The Masker: looking great! A lot of work, yeah, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end. Looking forward to this being cleared!

It IS definitely worth it, Tommy!!…..tiring, time-consuming, and nerve-wrecking, yes...….but its FUN, and great looking in the end!  -if everything goes smoothly that is...lol

14 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Keeps looking great, Dann! But tell me, you're not done yet with masking, right? I mean, not all body parts will be totally covered with clear - and you'll have to cover the inside body parts too, if I'm not mistaken?

Thanks, Tommy!, I have seen SO MANY photos of this car, and one thing I've discovered is that there are more ways, looks, and options that you can order for this car......for a million plus, i'd hope so!! I've decided that ALL the bbody panels will be clearcoated, then masked-off for weatherstripping painting, and dash top. After all, the Pagani utilizes 11-15 different kinds of CF.

Edited by Dann Tier

Wow.....Just read through the whole build, and its incredible ! !

I love reading through these kind of builds, regardless of the type of car, the threads are an inspiration to most people.  ( ok so i do sometimes think afterwards,  Oh  #$@%  it Im packing in this model car hobby ! ! )

To see a model come together, with such patience and detail , can inspire us all to create better cars.

Thanks for taking the time to carefully photograph and explain the process, im in awe of your skill and look forward to seeing it complete.....

38 minutes ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Wow.....Just read through the whole build, and its incredible ! !

I love reading through these kind of builds, regardless of the type of car, the threads are an inspiration to most people.  ( ok so i do sometimes think afterwards,  Oh  #$@%  it Im packing in this model car hobby ! ! )

To see a model come together, with such patience and detail , can inspire us all to create better cars.

Thanks for taking the time to carefully photograph and explain the process, im in awe of your skill and look forward to seeing it complete.....

Thanks, Martin!, I too find all the different builds here inspirational!!….we just keep each other creative I think.....its a good thing!

59 minutes ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

21 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

I too find all the different builds here inspirational!!….we just keep each other creative I think.....its a good thing!

My thoughts exactly!

19 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Excellent progress, are you going to clear coat? great finish on the colour so far, and no dust!

Thanks, Atin!, Monday I will start thr clearcoat process. It usually takes 2-3 days, and on average, 4 coats with wet-sanding between each. I very rarely get dust, due to the fact that I hang large clear vinyl/plastic tarps, and black contractor bags over everything before I paint. Its like a room full of huge dust magnets!   I also klean, and dust the room constantly, and between every coat of paint, I blast the parts off with canned air.

Hey, everyone!, I was able to apply all the body decals yesterday, so that Monday I can start clearcoating!.....The PAGANI decal that was designated to go immediately under the exhaust tips, was actually too small, so I decided to use one of the interior ones, which did the trick nicely.

DSCF6741.JPG

DSCF6742.JPG

DSCF6743.JPG

DSCF6744.JPG

DSCF6745.JPG

DSCF6747.JPG

DSCF6748.JPG

• Dann Tier changed the title to Fully detailed Pagani Huayra...Decals on -clear coat next!!
7 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Dann, sorry if I missed it - the thread is rather long - but you are not doing CF decals?

Nope, cant stand them, nobody can convince me that they have the proper scaled look, and if so, it'd be so small, whats the point.

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Nope, cant stand them, nobody can convince me that they have the proper scaled look, and if so, it'd be so small, whats the point.

To each their own but CF decals have gotten pretty advanced now. They even have some that are a masking decal so you paint the correct color of the carbon according to reference photos. I only use pre cut ones though because I have a hell of a time making a mask for them. Using a flexible mesh and airbrushing the pattern does make a convincing alternative though.

• Dann Tier changed the title to Fully detailed Pagani Huayra..Under Glass