Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fully detailed Pagani Huayra..Under Glass

Dann Tier

Heres a little update that took quite a while to do...….After I sanded all the edges of the mesh bits, I did my rounds test-fitting, and shaping them, so that they just set down nicely without having to hold them down til the glue dries. Almost everyone who built this kit, appeared to have problems with their mesh.....they didn't set flat, so I would see spaces, and gaps everywhere, so I thought it was gonna be a struggle to make them fit properly. Hate to say it, but its the fault of the builders, Aoshimas mesh fits WONDERFULLY well!! with minimum bending/tweaking, and has just enough contact space. I will say though, that the mesh in the rockers took the longest to shape.....on the bottom edge, but with multiple test fittings, and tiny little tweaks, I am VERY happy with them.

No one elses builds I saw had the "exposed" screw look for the vents, and strangely enough, I thought it looked cool, so i'm going with it. Normally I wouldn't like this look, but it works on this car!....remember; not every Huayra shares this look, there are more variations, and looks to this car than any other one I know, and for 3 million dollars......i'd hope so!!

I figured it would be best to attach the very tiny screws before I paint them to eliminate the chance of glue showing anywhere. The screws also act as a guide to be able to put the mesh in the right spot easily. I will be painting them today...

DSCF6871.JPG

DSCF6872.JPG

DSCF6875.JPG

Dann, a job well done on the mesh. Fingers crossed that eventually fixing them will work as well as the test-fixing!

On 3.11.2018 at 5:12 PM, Dann Tier said:

I hope that this thread, and my videos helps more people to start building them!

Well brother... not a chance I will build this. I have the kit, yes, but I was never that convinced of the (orginial) Huayra, I just thought it might be a nice kit. It is, or let's say it is what you made of it. But I hoped that it would be more of a relief for the sad fact that there isn't any kit of the Zonda available (how is that even possible?). Because I really love THAT Pagani. The way I feel, just like a McLaren P1 could not fill the emotional gap of an F1, this won't work for me with the Huayra and the Zonda. Fortunately, there are at least a lot of McLaren F1 kits around and I will rather do several of them than one Huayra. But that's my personal preference, I really admire your work on this one and it's about to become a great-looking model!

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, Italianhorses said:

I'm sure you know this, but spray a thin layer of metal (self-etching) primer on these to make paint stick better. Otherwise it will start coming off during assembly from the "mesh" parts.

With the automotive paint I use, there is no need for the self-etching primer.....been using this paint for the last 35 years with NO issues, but I have heard of that, Alex...Danke

5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Dann, a job well done on the mesh. Fingers crossed that eventually fixing them will work as well as the test-fixing!

Well brother... not a chance I will build this. I have the kit, yes, but I was never that convinced of the (orginial) Huayra, I just thought it might be a nice kit. It is, or let's say it is what you made of it. But I hoped that it would be more of a relief for the sad fact that there isn't any kit of the Zonda available (how is that even possible?). Because I really love THAT Pagani. The way I feel, just like a McLaren P1 could not fill the emotional gap of an F1, this won't work for me with the Huayra and the Zonda. Fortunately, there are at least a lot of McLaren F1 kits around and I will rather do several of them than one Huayra. But that's my personal preference, I really admire your work on this one and it's about to become a great-looking model!

Thanks, Thomas!, I agree about why don't we have a Zonda kit, but pass it, and go to the Huayra…...its dumb. Me personally, I think the Huayra is one of the most beautiful cars that we have seen in a loooooong tme!

Heres a wee update....

-Photo 1; Like I always do, I tested to see if any parts would fall-off before I started painting them, and sure enough they did....so I had to mount them this way....turned out great!

-Photo 2; This is the window that goes to the rear cowl. It was damaged at the spru-point, unfortunately, so I used super glue to repair it.

-Photo 3; These are the taillight assemblies, mounted to toothpicks with my favorite canopy glue, so that its easier to sand, and test fit. The black ring on the edges is made by using a Sharpi. It helps to keep the rings consistently the same thickness.

-Photo 4; Here you can see a side view of the taillight bezels. To help these fit better, I sanded them all at a slight taper to the rear. Almost every one of these kits I've seen built, has wonky looking taillights.....like a Camealion with six dodgy eyes. These bezels NEED to be sanded in order for them to fit properly. The slight taper will help ease them in place without getting stck, or chipping paint. You can also see how I glued them to the toothpick.

DSCF6877.JPG

DSCF6878.JPG

DSCF6879.JPG

DSCF6883.JPG

• Dann Tier changed the title to Fully detailed Pagani Huayra
7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Details are at a premium on this one Dann. I know what you're talking about in regards to PE forming and for me the fret retainers not properly filed off. Lookin' good man.

Thanks, Joe!!, i'm glad you're liking it!!  -I got a TON of work done on it just now!...….hopefully I can take some photos, and post them tonight still...

<Insert new comment about awesome build>  You are really knocking this thing out of the park. I really can't imagine building this, but if I ever do this whole thread will be my guide. I will say, you have inspired me to do my best at my builds. I've stripped off paint just to try to do things better... not that I'll ever attain this level but its something. 

1 hour ago, Ich_Will said:

<Insert new comment about awesome build>  You are really knocking this thing out of the park. I really can't imagine building this, but if I ever do this whole thread will be my guide. I will say, you have inspired me to do my best at my builds. I've stripped off paint just to try to do things better... not that I'll ever attain this level but its something. 

WOW, bud!!, thanks!!,  I really like helping people build better models, but was a bit worried that the way I do things was too different from the mainstream. This kit in particular urged me to help anyway. Its a brilliant kit that people should build...….now they can!

• Dann Tier changed the title to Fully detailed Pagani Huayra...hours away from being finished!!
18 hours ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Interior is strikingly gorgeous....looking forward to her all buttoned up!!

Fully agree! I love that terracotta-style leather color and it makes a gorgeous contrast with the body color. I will definitely try something in that style on one of my next interiors myself.

I've been gone for a little while and I am just now trying to catch up on some of the threads I was following.  Not even sure what to say!  She is looking fantastic!  I appreciate all of the time you take to explain what you have done, along with the photos to document your work.

• Dann Tier changed the title to Fully detailed Pagani Huayra..Under Glass