Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Hobby Shop Photos

On 6/6/2018 at 6:19 AM, cobraman said:

I remember something like that . Then the Notox glue came out . They should have called it no stick ! 

Well, at least you could keep building the model over and over! That lemon smell was the worst! 

Summer of '68 and I was 10. When I'd stay with my grandmother I'd get dragged off to Bingo in the church basement. There was a luncheonette across the street, so I got handed a few dollars to entertain myself.  The small stores only had Palmer kits, so I'd get one.  Add in a tube of glue,  a Yoohoo chocolate drink and some candy and I was set for the afternoon.   I made a glue mess out of the kit all over the church's nice Bingo tables.   They must've loved me!

This hobby shop was huge at 'bout 12,000 square feet. I had model kits, train department, R/c department, artist supplies, air brushes and Black Gold paints, toys, slot car racing department, and a "large" magazine department with all kinds of magazines. I always enjoyed going to this shop when I was in the area, but the owner wanted to retire and closed up

image.png.13faac92a18e9a6b961f641f01eea000.png

image.png.b332712ab06b9a4bb768498b815f3ac1.png

image.png.30d8e1ac9b4791e6594f57fdb46c6a83.png

3 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Please continue with the vintage Hobby Shop, Contest or even ads pics! 

Image result for hobby shop vintage

I used to go here in the '70s. One had to climb what looked like a grand staircase to reach the store on the second floor. Marshall Winston, the founder's son, was one of the grouchiest S.O.B.'s who ever lived and his lousy attitude trickled down to the employees. They would make an extreme effort not to be helpful. Lookers were always asked, "Are you gonna buy something or not?" Shopping here was one of the worst ordeals you'd ever experience. The only thing that made it worthwhile to go here were the great prices. Boy, I sure miss this place.......

image.png

Interesting pic of those '61 models! I see what looks to be a '60 El Camino listed. Was Chevy planning a '61 model but changed up at the 11th hour, or was the '61 model going to have '60 carryover styling (it WAS a truck after all)? Some of those models unbuilt/unpainted in the original box are literally worth a MINT! :o

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

image.png

Silly question, I know there are several members here that collect old annuals besides myself . Anyone here have all the ones shown here ?

Except the 61 Thunderbird and a Lincoln . I own all the convertibles

Bill, some of those I have in hardtop form, others in convertibles. One I absolutely don't have and I wish I did is that '61 Ford F100! Each time I see one of those on the 'Bay as an untouched kit, I can just about guarantee that the price will either be sky high as a BIN, or will be bid up to the Stratosphere. :( The '61 Thunderbird hardtop I got reeeeall lucky on a few years ago when I was able to get a pristine promo with no cracks or breaks whatsoever for a BIN of $50 IIRC.

Of course, I can't have too many 1961 models............they're all as old as I am! :D

12 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Bill, some of those I have in hardtop form, others in convertibles. One I absolutely don't have and I wish I did is that '61 Ford F100! Each time I see one of those on the 'Bay as an untouched kit, I can just about guarantee that the price will either be sky high as a BIN, or will be bid up to the Stratosphere. :( The '61 Thunderbird hardtop I got reeeeall lucky on a few years ago when I was able to get a pristine promo with no cracks or breaks whatsoever for a BIN of $50 IIRC.

Of course, I can't have too many 1961 models............they're all as old as I am! :D

Agreed,

Im a convertible fan myself.So I don't think I  any of the hardtops. Im a 1959 Model  myself  ( I have all the convertibles for that year as well )

I did just win a 1961 Ford F100 this morning. ( been after one for a while now and routinely exceed my toy fund allows )

3 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

I did just win a 1961 Ford F100 this morning. ( been after one for a while now and routinely exceed my toy fund allows )

Oh so YOU got that one? :lol:

I saw that but didn't bother to watch it as I knew the price would be more than I'm willing to pay.............right now. ;) I'd love to see Moebius do that one since they're on a roll with Ford F100 pickups. We'll have to wait and see!

4 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Oh so YOU got that one? :lol:

I saw that but didn't bother to watch it as I knew the price would be more than I'm willing to pay.............right now. ;) I'd love to see Moebius do that one since they're on a roll with Ford F100 pickups. We'll have to wait and see!

Yep, been after either a 61 or 62 for a while now. I put a bid in to see if I could get lucky. and from what I can tell it was a good buy ( under $60 ) By the time I off the box and the trailer / I'll be in it about what a modern kit costs. Life is good. ...Now I need a clean builder 1960 F100 to go with it

Was that this one here Bill? Actually, that's not a bad price at all! It sounds like it should be a fairly straightforward resto. That's probably what I'll have to keep my eyes on...........one that's restorable and not a total glue bomb. The fact you got the box with it too is a plus!

7 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Was that this one here Bill? Actually, that's not a bad price at all! It sounds like it should be a fairly straightforward resto. That's probably what I'll have to keep my eyes on...........one that's restorable and not a total glue bomb. The fact you got the box with it too is a plus!

Yep, thats the one. The box and the trailer will go away / become trade fodder

I almost bought a different one a while back,. but it was missing the hood inserts which I have a feeling cant be easy to find . I'm glad I waited. This one I felt was reasonable $$

Edited by gtx6970

On 6/7/2018 at 1:09 PM, cobraman said:

When I was young ( long time ago ) I would buy my models in a store called Zayer's. The models that retailed for 1.50 were 1.11 and the ones 2.00 were 1.70. Those were the days.

Did you live in Northeast U.S.?  Zayre department stores? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zayre  I used to shop there too, along with Woolworth, Bradlees, Ames, Stewards, and Ann & Hope.  All those store chains were likely killed off by Walmart.  We also had several hobby shops inthe Boston area:  Eric Fuchs (Boston and few other locations), Adventure Hobbies (in Arlington), Modeler's Junction (in Methuen), AAA Hobby Shop (in Wakefield) and few others.  All gone.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:30 AM, SfanGoch said:

I used to go here in the '70s. One had to climb what looked like a grand staircase to reach the store on the second floor. Marshall Winston, the founder's son, was one of the grouchiest S.O.B.'s who ever lived and his lousy attitude trickled down to the employees. They would make an extreme effort not to be helpful. Lookers were always asked, "Are you gonna buy something or not?" Shopping here was one of the worst ordeals you'd ever experience. The only thing that made it worthwhile to go here were the great prices. Boy, I sure miss this place.......

Ah, America's Hobby Center.  I never visited the store (sounds like a good thing), but I used to buy model trains from them in the '80s.  They had good prices, but when you called to place the order (before online ordering) you spoke to some of the rudest women with heavy NY accent!  Ah, those were the days  . . .