Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Outlaws & Hot Rods

On 7/31/2018 at 11:55 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

...But if I could have any of 'em, this would be it...

Good news Bill - Theon Design Singer-esque recreation starting at only  £150K.

Edited by afx

12 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Matt Hummel's barn-find 356.  It was literally parked in a barn for a couple of decades. When dragged out it barely ran, the electrical system had major gremlins and the interior was (and is) pretty much shot. Hummel bought it from a one-line, no-photos Craigslist ad for $6,000.

He didn't want to restore this car, he wanted to drive it hard just like people did when these cars were new and tearing up the rally courses.  To get it running...Porsche purists will hate this part...he dropped in the engine from a 912.  The car was featured in Roadkill magazine a while back.  A search for "matt hummel Porsche 356" will turn up lots more photos and internet articles about it.

Thanks for sharing this Michael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sugkS16fZXg

Edited by afx

On 7/30/2018 at 6:43 AM, Mike999 said:

Chris Banning's "King of the Hill" '73 Porsche Carrera 911 RSR.  Banning took about 2 years to build it (and a trip to the Porsche factory in Germany).  Its sole purpose in life was winning races on Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles. 

Your eyes aren't playing tricks, the top is chopped.  It's also acid-dipped and stitch-welded with a full roll cage and Lexan windows. The car still existed a few years ago and Banning intended to put it back on the road.

Weird coincidence, but I just posted this link yesterday in the "Trading" forum here.  It's 348 pages of photos and info about Porsches and other cars that raced Mulholland.  The very first page shows the RSR parked in Banning's living room in 1978.  He had no garage then, and put it in the living room to hide it from police helicopters.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/323773-what-happened-mulholland-king-hill-rsr.html

ban_por.jpg

That thread posted is great, I'm nearly 20 pagesninnandnthe stories are fantastic!

15 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

That thread posted is great, I'm nearly 20 pagesninnandnthe stories are fantastic!

Glad you're enjoying it!  I don't know if this story is in there, but it's in the book "The Mulholland Experience" and makes me LOL every time I think of it.

Early one morning long ago, a guy with a new 911 was heading home, north on the 101 freeway in Los Angeles.  He was feeling no pain after some heavy partying, and had the Porsche's sunroof open to enjoy the night breeze. He was only one freeway exit from home...but he took the wrong exit.  I lived in the West San Fernando Valley and know where he goofed.  The exit he needed is a nice flat, gentle curve coming off the freeway. 

The off-ramp he took has a wicked 90-degree curve. He said there was a loud BANG, then "everything went quiet" for a second.  That's because he went straight thru the barrier rail on the curve and his 911 was sailing thru the air.  It hit the ground on its roof and started sliding downhill, thru the woods.  With the sunroof open, dirt and leaves poured in and the guy nearly suffocated.

When the car finally stopped, he crawled out and walked over to a Denny's (which is still there, or was when I left L.A. in 2015). 

A few minutes later, a California Highway Patrol officer walked in to ask about that wrecked Porsche.  The CHP officer saw its owner sitting at the counter, bruised, bloody and filthy from his ride thru the woods.  The CHP officer just said, "I think you've been punished enough" and didn't even give him a ticket.

Edited by Mike999
omit

5 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Glad you're enjoying it!  I don't know if this story is in there, but it's in the book "The Mulholland Experience" and makes me LOL every time I think of it.

Early one morning long ago, a guy with a new 911 was heading home, north on the 101 freeway in Los Angeles.  He was feeling no pain after some heavy partying, and had the Porsche's sunroof open to enjoy the night breeze. He was only one freeway exit from home...but he took the wrong exit.  I lived in the West San Fernando Valley and know where he goofed.  The exit he needed is a nice flat, gentle curve coming off the freeway. 

The off-ramp he took has a wicked 90-degree curve. He said there was a loud BANG, then "everything went quiet" for a second.  That's because he went straight thru the barrier rail on the curve and his 911 was sailing thru the air.  It hit the ground on its roof and started sliding downhill, thru the woods.  With the sunroof open, dirt and leaves poured in and the guy nearly suffocated.

When the car finally stopped, he crawled out and walked over to a Denny's (which is still there, or was when I left L.A. in 2015). 

A few minutes later, a California Highway Patrol officer walked in to ask about that wrecked Porsche.  The CHP officer saw its owner sitting at the counter, bruised, bloody and filthy from his ride thru the woods.  The CHP officer just said, "I think you've been punished enough" and didn't even give him a ticket.

I haven't gotten there yet,  I'm only on about page 58 so far.