Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Outlaws & Hot Rods

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2021 at 2:00 AM, Russell C said:

Nah.

I think the hot setup if you're going to do a V8 911, and exactly what I'm contemplating for mine, is to swap the entire sidewinder drivetrain out of a 2009 G8 Pontiac GXP with the 6-speed...in the middle.

415 happy horses right out of the box, and the sidewinder swap would put the center of mass in a better place than the tail-waggy stock 911 has it.

Ought to drive the purists nuts too, getting smoked by a hot-rod 911 "built from junk".

Only problem is that there's not a lot of 'em, so finding a wrecked donor might be a pretty good trick.

EDIT: I've driven a Fiero with the GXP/6speed swap (though I did not build it), and it makes the car what it should have been instead of letting it die. And if it'll fit in a Fiero, it'll fit in a 911 with a little more fabrication work.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

14 hours ago, sfhess said:

The Pontiac G8 was not a "sidewinder".  It was front engine, rear-wheel drive (Australian Holden platform).

Don't you mean the Bonneville GXP?  That was transverse engine, front-wheel drive.

Yeah, looking back I think I meant GP (for Grand Prix), and 2008 as the model year.

Numbers and letters are hard, and when you're old and senile, they're even harder.   :D

EDIT: I misquoted the HP numbers on the LS4 in the GP too. It's only 303 with a 4-speed slushbox.

And after checking my notes, I see the hot-rod Fiero I alluded to was not a complete drivetrain swap either, but another LS (not LS4) bolted to a manual FWD F40 six-speed gearbox via a machined adaptor, all sitting on a modified Fiero subframe (NOTE: The LS4 will basically bolt to the F40 gearbox, with a starter location mod. The other LS engines require an adapter).

The lesson here: I really shouldn't post unless I actually KNOW what I'm talking about...or look it up.

However, the idea of a sidewinder LS in the back seat of a 911 is still entirely feasible.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

53 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, looking back I think I meant GP (for Grand Prix), and 2008 as the model year.

Numbers and letters are hard, and when you're old and senile, they're even harder.   :D

EDIT: I misquoted the HP numbers on the LS4 in the GP too. It's only 303 with a 4-speed slushbox.

And after checking my notes, I see the hot-rod Fiero I alluded to was not a complete drivetrain swap either, but another LS (not LS4) bolted to a manual FWD gearbox via a machined adaptor, all sitting on a modified Fiero subframe.

The lesson here: I really shouldn't post unless I actually KNOW what I'm talking about.

However, the idea of a sidewinder LS in the back seat of a 911 is still entirely feasible.

Can't look right now, but there is a guy on YouTube doing this swap with a Corvair and he's already built a Beetle with a Subaru WRX engine and transaxle that is north of 500hp and sketchy looking under power.

20 hours ago, stitchdup said:

...I thought the 356 ice racer was the wildest porsche but this popped up on my feed today...

Yeah, now THAT is a hot-rod Porsche (rear track's a little wide in these renderings, but it's more reasonable on the real in-progress car):

Oil Stain Lab Half11 is a unique interpretation of a ...

Project Half11 - Porsche 911-Based - Pelican Parts Forums

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

...isn't it great what people can do when they dont care what purists think?

I've never understood the slavish worship of a particular make.

The "purists" sometimes seem to forget that, for example, the original Porsches were just hot-rod Volkswagens. Lamborghinis were built by a tractor manufacturer who wanted to do Enzo Ferrari one better. No matter how spectacular and "purebred" the vehicle, in the beginning, they were all made by guys who put their pants on one-leg-at-a-time.

On the other hand, cutting up a pristine or historically important example of a rare machine to make a personal "creative" statement makes no sense to me either.

If I found a virgin '32 Ford roadster or 3-window coupe, no way would I rod it; there just aren't enough left...and you can buy all new steel anyway.

On the other hand, heavily modifying my own '74 911 seems perfectly reasonable; my car isn't that nice, it's one of the least desirable of the series anyway, and there are tons of other 911s far more worthy of obsessive restoration.

8 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Well I thought the 356 ice racer was the wildest porsche but this popped up on my feed today  http://www.speedhunters.com/2021/12/burn-your-rulebook-meet-the-half11/

Its even wilder....

Thanks for posting that, and Bill for the pictures.  I love ❤️ this concept!  I like how the article is done, a paragraph, picture, repeat.  Those guys are living the American dream.  Screw the 'purists', they can shove it where the sun don't shine, with a sharp twist to the left.  Most Porsches are a dime a dozen, people with imagination scare those sticks in the mud.  That's why I love this particular shop.  Makes me want to get an Indy car, and mate with a ..... I already have!

4 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Thanks for posting that, and Bill for the pictures.  I love ❤️ this concept!  I like how the article is done, a paragraph, picture, repeat.  Those guys are living the American dream.  Screw the 'purists', they can shove it where the sun don't shine, with a sharp twist to the left.  Most Porsches are a dime a dozen, people with imagination scare those sticks in the mud.  That's why I love this particular shop.  Makes me want to get an Indy car, and mate with a ..... I already have!

I'll assume you've seen the hoonigan lambo from sema this year

DSC09747-scaled.webp

IMG_5765.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I'll assume you've seen the hoonigan lambo from sema this year

DSC09747-scaled.webp

IMG_5765.jpg

FYI:  First picture does not show up for me.  I have not seen that, and I've been watching the Hoonigan You Tube channels.  You better start the Lamborghini Outlaws & Hot Rods topic (I've done the Mercedes topic🙂.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...