Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Tiger Shark Out Now

62rebel

Wonder if someone will do a resin conversion kit to make it back into the Dream Rod? I've been casting up the original wire wheels with some success, when I can get the bubbles out.

I built the original kit with the turntable long ago; it spun the car right off! :blink: Luckily it didn't break anything and I gave up after a couple tries with other less delicate cars.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I liked the box pictures of the frame, but the actual model shown above looks a tad not so good. Maybe it is just the color of the plastic making it look funky.

I would probably use the frame/drivetrain with another body, never been a huge fan of the asymmetrical customs. But you never know, might be worth trying. Now if it were the Dream Rod version, no question.

Russ

55 minutes ago, russosborne said:

never been a huge fan of the asymmetrical customs.

Me neither. I have an original first-issue one I've had since new that I've marked up with my own modifications to make it symmetrical. Maybe I'll actually do it someday. 

The VW front suspension also gave me the idea of making a dune buggy body out of it. But that funky roof has to go. I'll come up with something else, or just leave it a roadster. 

15 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I don't know how I feel about this one. The rotating stand interests me, more than the kit itself. 

Like so many things, I guess it depends on where you were.  I had the Hot Wheels, and a poster of the real deal when I was a kid, so when it hit the shelves the last time. I picked one up.

This is where it is so far. I'm trying to get it as close as possible to the original Tiger Shark.  Oddly enough, I couldn't find any colour photos of the Tiger Shark, so went what I could remember of the poster, and the original box art.  The colour is equal parts Tamiya clear yellow and clear orange with a little clear blue, sprayed over gold.

TigerShark4.jpg.cc3c65faee5b65b7604828c1604beccb.jpg

In order to deal with that seam in the rear fender wells, and still be able to install the interior, I cut off the rear fenders from the lower half of the body, and glued it to the upper body.

TigerShark2.jpg.4a3370102ac42cdeb285d7a1dbd174b8.jpgTigerShark3.jpg.e291f9d166c3b5c63acb25bc48a8745e.jpg

12 hours ago, AC Norton said:

...........I'll let the rest of you buy up all of 'em you like of this kit......never wanted one when they were new, sure don't desire any now.....:P....the Ace...

I'll wait until they hit the discount circuit. The Cragar S/S wheels look decent (maybe even good?) and you know Round2 is including a set of "new" tires, too. There are some interesting body lines, too, so you can always use bits and pieces for a custom, or start with the Tiger Shark body and go from there.

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Me neither. I have an original first-issue one I've had since new that I've marked up with my own modifications to make it symmetrical. Maybe I'll actually do it someday. 

The VW front suspension also gave me the idea of making a dune buggy body out of it. But that funky roof has to go. I'll come up with something else, or just leave it a roadster. 

You know Snake, your a bad influence on me. Your comments on the VW front suspension got me to go back and take a closer at the photos Casey posted above. The more I looked, the more I kind of like the chassis included in the kit. That and the turntable might convince me to buy the kit. Might. I will need a little bit more to really be pushed into doing it. 

26 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

You know Snake, your a bad influence on me. Your comments on the VW front suspension got me to go back and take a closer at the photos Casey posted above. The more I looked, the more I kind of like the chassis included in the kit. That and the turntable might convince me to buy the kit. Might. I will need a little bit more to really be pushed into doing it. 

From what I understand, the chassis is from a Jowett Jupiter with a VW front suspension.  The XR-6 had a VW front suspension as well.

JowettJupiter2.JPG

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'll wait until they hit the discount circuit. The Cragar S/S wheels look decent (maybe even good?) and you know Round2 is including a set of "new" tires, too. There are some interesting body lines, too, so you can always use bits and pieces for a custom, or start with the Tiger Shark body and go from there.

....Excellent points all round, Casey.....thanks for the input....the Ace...:D

I kind of blended the two together. I used some ideas from the Dream Rod and most parts of the the Tiger Shark. Reworked the Vette style front fenders and added side pipes (eliminated the Tiger Shark rear exhaust parts) . 

Edited by magicmustang

I hadn't noticed the front suspension was a VW.

Still interested in using the frame for another car, but might have to change my thinking on which one.

Maybe a front engined VW bug. Looks like it should be easy enough to modify for a different wheelbase body regardless. Even by a klutz like me.

Agreed though I would like to wait until it hits the clearance aisle. But if it is sold at HL a 40% off coupon would work.

Russ

19 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

You know Snake, your a bad influence on me. 

Then my work here is done!:lol:

Actually, looking at the built frame pic above, that might make a cool little dune buggy on its own. Couple seats and a roll bar, hmmmmm. 

In addition to my original, I got two more of these last time they were reissued about a decade ago. Now with all the ideas flowing, I'm thinking of getting a couple more. 

I'm still not a fan of the top. I wonder if the custom fastback top from the AMT 260 Cobra could be adapted to work with it, and how that might look? 

Oh, and I also have an original Hot Wheels Python. I don't collect Hot Wheels, never have, but I have a (very) few of them, including this one and a first-issue '55 Nomad. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Wonder if someone will do a resin conversion kit to make it back into the Dream Rod? I've been casting up the original wire wheels with some success, when I can get the bubbles out.

I built the original kit with the turntable long ago; it spun the car right off! :blink: Luckily it didn't break anything and I gave up after a couple tries with other less delicate cars.

I've often thought a resin retro conversion kit for the Dream Rod might be a good idea, depending on how many unique parts are necessary for the conversion.

Anyone with a Dream Rod in their stash that could do a comparison, or at least post some pics of the kit parts?

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just curious.  I got a reissue of the car craft dream rod a few years ago I find it hard to believe that that would have changed it back to the tiger shark. Maybe that have molds for both versions. 

Check again...the Dream Rod was never reissued.  What it is now, is what it is, and that's what it has been for fifty years or so. 

As for a resin conversion back to the Dream Rod, you'd need a ton of parts, the body being one of them.  There were numerous changes made.

I was wrong about the reissue. It was the 2006 reissue of the tiger shark. The box didn't identify it as such and I had forgotten about the tiger shark version.

As far as converting the tiger shark back to the dream rod there was an article in rod and custom about converting the full size tiger shark back to the dream rod.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, Mark said:

Anyone ever get that revolving display stand to work?

Mark.....I first got the stand in the MPC 1965 Monaco kit...and no, I was never able to get it to work...not even close.  Of course, at the time, I blamed myself.....TIM .