Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMC: Ford GTP J-car vintage classic PITA

89AKurt

Guess I became possessed, obsessed, or perhaps the deceased previous owner helped me in spirit to finish what he started long ago.  I was lucky all he did was spray the body and chassis parts with an off white paint that did not eat the plastic, and stored the kit in a dry place.

This is a Industro-Motive Corporation (IMC) kit done in 1966(?), I'm guessing it came out when the J-car was starting to be developed.  The instructions have: "... The Ford J-car is now the hottest car on the track, already recognized as another international champion."  As I have learned, it became the black sheep of GT40 history.

I took about a week, 30 hours, to build it box stock.  It would take major modifications to make it accurate, and at which time would one pick since they must have been constantly trying to make it competitive?  So that's why I used some of the decals that never appeared on the real car.

IMC: Ford GTP J-carIMC: Ford GTP J-carIMC: Ford GTP J-carIMC: Ford GTP J-carIMC: Ford GTP J-carIMC: Ford GTP J-car

Now I *have to* build the Ferrari P4 with HRM engine detail kit.  Or the Porsche 917.

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Linking my other threads related to this build.

You did an outstanding job on a very "fiddley" model. I restored an IMC Gulf GT-40 model years ago and it almost went in the trash many times.

MPC J Car rear.JPG

Edited by magicmustang

2 hours ago, magicmustang said:

You did an outstanding job on a very "fiddley" model. I restored an IMC Gulf GT-40 model years ago and it almost went in the trash many times.

Here's a pic of an MPC J Car I restored, to show the difference in the two kits.  

MPC J Car rear.JPG

Thank you!  Wish I could see the picture you posted.

Just now, TooOld said:

I just happen to have this kit sitting on my bench waiting to get started and despite it's faults I've always liked the J-Car and the IMC kit .

You did a great job on yours , congrats ! :D

Too funny, my posts seem to be bringing others out of the woodwork.  Hope this inspires you to finish yours too.

58 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Fantastic finished model and definitely making me look at my IMC Lola T70 and feel a little guilty. 

OMG please don't let me guilt trip you!  I have several WIP calling me, saying "why did you build that hunk of junk instead of me?"

41 minutes ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

Very nice!!!  The box mentions that the tires are "low profile."  Quite a difference between what qualified as low profile in 1966 vs. today!!!

Thanks.  Yea, I laughed at that too.  That's another thing that is incorrect, they used the same tires from previous versions, instead of making wider ones.

I tried to build this kit back when it was first released and it was an utter failure that met it's fate to a black cat firecracker! (wish I still had it today)

You did a fantastic job on a difficult to build kit!B)

I have only seen 4 or 5 of these that were ever finished!